Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-02-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Suzi
OK - it's a clone? Oh for Heaven's sake (and here all along I've been thinking I have something unusual). Picture enclosed - that's OK 'cause none of the "real" ones sew as good as she does anyway ..... lol
Suzi, you have a beautiful machine - and yes it is a 15 clone! And it is sad, but the clones are actually better machines than the Singer's they are cloned after!

Nancy
Old 06-02-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
That one jarred me to thinking.... I have an old black sewing machine around here somewhere - it was my neighbor's. When she moved to an assisted living I got it. It was an old Sears from early 1940's. It was a wedding present from her DH. She never did learn to use it. I've been saving it for DGD who is named after her. I should dig it out and move it a bit. Maybe sew something. I'm thinking last I knew it needed rewiring. Just sitting around isn't so good for those old machines. Maybe it won't be too hard to re-wire. It has an owners manual and a bunch of empty bobbins.
The Commander is another 15 clone! Nice machine!

Nancy
Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Oh no, if 11 is over the top, I am off the limp, for sure! Without counting I think maybe I have topped 20 with my most recent being my Singer 301A... soon to be my most favoritest machine. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sewextreme, love the Avator! What a cute little girl!

Nancy
Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 PM

Passed on a 66 today. Dirty but not too bad but motor didn't run, missing the belt, light needed serious work and missing bobbin plate cover. The light was detached from the machine and not sure it just needed ionly a new bulb. Only wanted $15 for it - offered $10 but allegedly have another looker coming on Sat to see the machine. I passed as I have enough already that need work and running out of space.
FYI: Machine count currently stands at approximately 15 and going to look at one or two tomorrow. :)
Old 06-02-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Minnesota newbie
Where do you all find the info on old machines? I picked up a singer EF223014 today but need manual.Also a Eldridge rotary 296524 any help would be great.I post when I can find the time.This board is awesome thanks to all,keep up the good reading if I miss a day or 2 20 pages behind! Love it.
Minnesota Newbie, the Singer EF223014 is a 99K allotted July 29, 1949.

Here is the Singer site to date your Singers!
http://www.singerco.com/support/mach.../double-letter

Nancy
Old 06-02-2011, 08:59 PM

Machine count currently stands at approximately 15.

Chris you count is almost the same as mine. I have 16 and am getting one tomorrow. I have one coming at the end of the month. It is a New Janome. I am going to give it away to my best friend's daughter. My mother and Aunt told me I could have theirs. I looked at one today but it was froze up and the cabinet needed to be restored. I do not need another project so I passed. :thumbdown: Kathie
Old 06-02-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
Some picture's of my 201-2 and the 15-91
Beautiful machines. Love the cabinets.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :)
Old 06-02-2011, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
I found this machine in a thrift shop today. I don't know what model it is. I didn't get it because I want to kow if the bobbins and the cover plate will be available. Can anyone help me??

Jan in Texas
This is a Singer 327. Here is link to manual: http://sewingonline.co.uk/instructions/singer327k/

This is a straight-stitch/zigzag machine that can be use in a treadle. Uses same metal bobbins as a 66. And cover plates are sold online.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:58 PM

[quote=HanNatNana][quote=SewExtreme]
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor

Finally I had a bit of time yesterday to start cleaning my latest acquisitions...yes I will post photos and hope to get the done over the weekend, but I have one question. Two Singers (328P and 478) have an 'F' with a circle around it in texta on the base....does this mean what I think it means? LOL Reason being that repair shops are usually operated by men and they are more prone to use this language, then again maybe I'm jumping to the wrong conclusion and it might mean something else altogether.

These machines aren't complete but they do turn easily by hand and I'm wondering if the motor is burned out...one doesn't have a foot pedal and the other is missing the electrical cable so it's hard to test.

Anyway just thought I'd ask in the hope someone has further info.

Bronwyn ;-)
Bronwyn, The Singer 328P is made in Penrith,; at least I think P stands for that location. If your Singer 328 motor doesn't work, you can put the machine into a treadle. I have my Singer 328K in a treadle and it works! I use mine for decorative stitching to finish off the binding. Here is link to that manual for you to look at: http://sewingonline.co.uk/instructions/singer328k/
Old 06-02-2011, 10:00 PM

Congrats on everyone's excellent finds! $10 FW is an awesome find!