Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Banned

I went on a nice long 70+ mile bicycle ride in the back country today and I saw several sewing machines and treadles in the mix. I was not able to stop to see them because the shops were closed for the day but plan on going back to look. I even found a 1955 Pontiac Station Wagon I might try to buy, it was complete and looked like it might would run!

Billy
Old 07-16-2011, 08:07 PM

It's hard to leave them behind, isn't it Billy?

I have to say, the girls (and guys) that went to the Sister's Quilt Show missed out on this machine that I got today!! ~grin~ It was posted on Craig's list in hopes of selling it during the show! :)
Old 07-16-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
I hope to look at this machine tomorrow but want to have some information before hand. Does anyone know have any idea what this machine may be. The seller does not have any more pictures and I am waiting for him to answer my questions.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/atq/2493323362.html
Looks like a National to me! Unusual cabinet set up. Anyone else seen a cabinet like this before?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
Found this video which shows the Singer factory in Scotland. I love how they show the decals being applied to a machine. Wish it was longer though!
This made my week! Thank you for sharing.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:18 PM

[/quote]

:shock: :shock: This is my summer of "machine addiction". I bought my first vintage machine last year, and this year so far I have gotten 5 more! I REALLY have to stop now!! :-)[/quote]

Good luck with that. This is my first summer of machine addiction as well. Now I have... 4. I'd say five but one belongs to my MIL and I just restored it for her. They just keep calling to me...
Old 07-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
It's hard to leave them behind, isn't it Billy?

I have to say, the girls (and guys) that went to the Sister's Quilt Show missed out on this machine that I got today!! ~grin~ It was posted on Craig's list in hopes of selling it during the show! :)
Yeah but the places were closed up tighter than a drum but one Singer treadle with a coffin top was witting outside under the porch area. And there was a really pretty early Wilcox and Gibbs treadle in a shops window. It didnt have the automatic tensioner so it will put it in the pre 1880's.

Billy
Old 07-16-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Hi Everybody,

Today I dug into a 15-91 that I bought a while ago, trying to get it refurbished and ready to sew. It was already quite loose but I still cleaned everything with WRENCH and then re-oiled, and changed the old motor grease for some vaseline. Upon returning it to it's little table, I noticed that the foot pedal is missing it's button... argh. Something I didn't even see when I bought the machine. I could use a cord and pedal from another of my machines, but this cord is threaded through a dime-sized hole in the cabinet, and I have no idea how it was put in or could be taken out.

Any ideas on how that pedal cord can be changed in the cabinet?

Thanks a bunch!
Might be able to help. In the photo, you need to take out the screw (it's long, I'm pointing to it with the screwdriver) that will let you expose the connectors. this will pull the 3-prong outside part away from the machine. Then you should be able to follow the wires where they go (motor, light, pedal) and unscrew the one you want to take off (pedal). It may or may not be color coded, so just make sure you draw out a diagram or label which wires connect to which "prong."

I had to do the same thing to take a 201 out of its cabinet, but I think those wires were color coded so I could put it back together without any problems.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-227605.jpe  
Old 07-16-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
You have to look at this wonderful eye candy that was posted on Treadleon.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...07077835EjdpGN
Oh how pretty! I have one hanging around here (no clue when or where I got it). The only bits of decoration left are a few little red dots that look like the might have been flowers once, plus no shuttle, bobbin, or front slide plate.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lee231
Miriam

What type of machine has the shuttle problem? Rotary or vibrating shuttle?
rotary - it's an industrial machine - do you know much about the oil bath corks???
Old 07-17-2011, 01:52 AM
Power Poster

[quote=SewExtreme][quote=miriam]I have just got to stay OFF CL... I have GOT to stay OFF CL... I SSSSOOOOOOOO have GOT to stay OFF CL... I am weak, I have no resolve...

It won't work Miriam... I have tried... to no avail! No matter how many machines I bring home... I keep lookin'
Yeah, I just got an email from the enabler sister - last night she found that Singer 306 on CL she knows I was watching and offered $$$ and told them I would pick it up.... I do have a treadle base I could put it in... get the base out of the garage and make DH happy I suppose. BUT you know she can't take either the 503 or the 306 home with her on the airplane..... so they are mine..... I'll be driving all over creation tomorrow. They aren't exactly next door to each other or next door to where I live.... I was ok letting them stay on CL until she got them dirt cheap...