Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-23-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
I received free, an older metal, Montgomery Ward sewing machine. It looks great but the gears are frozen. A repair man has had it soaking in something for over a month and is giving it back to me. It is still frozen but he said it would cost over 200.00 to take apart the gears and fix it to run. The motor hums along, so I know it is ok. Anyone have any ides about this little problem! I like the machine because you can drop the feed dogs, it is nice and clean and there is no rust.
Picture? What year was it? It may be too "plastic" to be worth fixing.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by Dolly's sister
Ok I uncovered my little jewel vintage Singer. She is a 1927 Model 66, SN AB724262. I will attach the pictures you've all been waiting for. I posted them on the regular board, but Janice said I needed to post them here too.
She is missing the spool pin for the thread, but I even have the manual that was revised in 1924, it was in the bottom drawer. She is a treadle, seems to work fine, I will clean her up and see how she sews someday.
So glad you brought her here to show everyone....since you teased us all with the "never looked" post....we were all dying to see what was inside!! LOL
But now she GOT to to clean it up and USE it...not "see how she sews someday". It's calling her!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 03:40 PM

A question for those who may know...what paint touch up manufacturer and color do you use for black Singers? I went to JoAnnes and there are at least 4 or 5 and I had no idea which would be better, an acrylic base an oil base etc. Some said shine finish, some didn't and I didn't want to guess. Which do you use and like best? I've got a black 319 that has some chips I'd like to touch up.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
A question for those who may know...what paint touch up manufacturer and color do you use for black Singers? I went to JoAnnes and there are at least 4 or 5 and I had no idea which would be better, an acrylic base an oil base etc. Some said shine finish, some didn't and I didn't want to guess. Which do you use and like best? I've got a black 319 that has some chips I'd like to touch up.
I used something the auto parts store called "universal black" - I guess that's the basic all around black color. It worked real good on my featherweight.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
I received free, an older metal, Montgomery Ward sewing machine. It looks great but the gears are frozen. A repair man has had it soaking in something for over a month and is giving it back to me. It is still frozen but he said it would cost over 200.00 to take apart the gears and fix it to run. The motor hums along, so I know it is ok. Anyone have any ides about this little problem! I like the machine because you can drop the feed dogs, it is nice and clean and there is no rust.
Picture? What year was it? It may be too "plastic" to be worth fixing.
Geez - MW's been out of business so long I doubt if it had much plastic - naw on the other hand maybe that's why they went under...
Old 09-23-2011, 04:16 PM

Someone probably used the wrong lubricant on it, (like 3 in 1 oil that ages to horrid orange chewing gum consistency in the works). The one I had that was frozen up like that I finally used a combination of denatured alcohol and "mean green" degreaser applied and scrubbed with a toothbrush on all the gears. It took it off, just be careful to keep it off the finish if you can--maybe cover the painted metal exterior with plastic wrap. After brushing it and scrubbing it, I kept working the wheel back and forth till it started to move,then cleaned each new area of gear as it was exposed. Took a while to get all the gum out, but then washed it down with kerosene and then oiled it. Caution: flammable stuff, don't plug in machine and run motor till it is all nice and dried for a day, and work on cleaning outdoors if possible.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by emmah
Someone probably used the wrong lubricant on it, (like 3 in 1 oil that ages to horrid orange chewing gum consistency in the works). The one I had that was frozen up like that I finally used a combination of denatured alcohol and "mean green" degreaser applied and scrubbed with a toothbrush on all the gears. It took it off, just be careful to keep it off the finish if you can--maybe cover the painted metal exterior with plastic wrap. After brushing it and scrubbing it, I kept working the wheel back and forth till it started to move,then cleaned each new area of gear as it was exposed. Took a while to get all the gum out, but then washed it down with kerosene and then oiled it. Caution: flammable stuff, don't plug in machine and run motor till it is all nice and dried for a day, and work on cleaning outdoors if possible.
You do have a point. It may not be rust. It may be 3 in 1 oil dried on there. If so some denatured alcohol brushed on might wash it off. Use a natural brush and keep it off the paint. If the sewing machine guy just has it in something to soak off rust it sure won't take off 3 in 1 oil. Won't faze the stuff. I would love to know where you found Mean Green???
Old 09-23-2011, 05:38 PM

I wouldn't pay "sewing machine" prices for touch up paint...but if you do, go for the gloss or shine finish.
I use a Rustoleum (sp?) type of gloss black paint and a really tiny brush to apply it.

You can also get automotive touch up paint as someone else suggested. I'd stay away from acrylic paint tho...it doesn't seem to me to have the staying power of an oil base enamel...
Old 09-23-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I wouldn't pay "sewing machine" prices for touch up paint...but if you do, go for the gloss or shine finish.
I use a Rustoleum (sp?) type of gloss black paint and a really tiny brush to apply it.

You can also get automotive touch up paint as someone else suggested. I'd stay away from acrylic paint tho...it doesn't seem to me to have the staying power of an oil base enamel...

I hadn't thought automotive or Rustoleum. Good to know. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:23 PM

Ok M'friends....I posted my progress of the "Great Davis Project" ;) :lol: on my blog, (the second link...I've not done anything with my Jane quilt in AGES!!)

I'm enjoying the process...I think it's going to have big rewards when it's done! :)