Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-03-2011, 02:20 PM

[quote=featherweight]OMG, That cabinet is georgous!!!The machine is nice too!!![/quote

Beutiful Model 127! I had that same cabinet with a Model 27 that I cleaned up and gave to a good friend - posted here on page 357.

Nancy
Old 01-03-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
alright, I've been bitten by the bug, and it's contagious! I found this on CL today, and it reminds me sooo much of the one I learned on! Billy, any history you can give me?!? Serial #H149696 (user's book is dated 1921). It appears to just be very very dirty, and the drive cable is snapped, but all seems to move fairly smoothly! I've attached a pic of the toys I got with the machine:
Oh and those treadle belts are very easy to come by. Most repair shops carry them and they are all over the internet.

Congratulations! You are now hooked!
Nancy
Old 01-03-2011, 02:35 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

So Nancy, is mine a 27? Or a 127? I did find the info that me decals are "Tiffany" (aka Gingerbread)... but my bobbin winder is not as high as your 127, so now I am not sure?

BTW, where can I get ahold of Billy's cleaning tutorial? and what did you use to recondition your wood cabinet? I was thinking Murphy's or one of the orange-smelling oils (cannot remember the name, Orange-Glo or something like that)? I did locate a belt, not sure if $13.95 is a decent/cheap/expensive price for the belt? And PLEASE tell me you'll all be able to help guide me in rethreading the belt & bobbin winder -- there is a shoelace holding the BW together at the moment :)

With my two youngest into engineering, they want to try to help clean her up and make her run... 12-y.o. daughter is totally psyched, said "we can still sew if the power goes out!" Got a chuckle outta me :)
Old 01-03-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
So Nancy, is mine a 27? Or a 127? I did find the info that me decals are "Tiffany" (aka Gingerbread)... but my bobbin winder is not as high as your 127, so now I am not sure?

BTW, where can I get ahold of Billy's cleaning tutorial? and what did you use to recondition your wood cabinet? I was thinking Murphy's or one of the orange-smelling oils (cannot remember the name, Orange-Glo or something like that)? I did locate a belt, not sure if $13.95 is a decent/cheap/expensive price for the belt? And PLEASE tell me you'll all be able to help guide me in rethreading the belt & bobbin winder -- there is a shoelace holding the BW together at the moment :)

With my two youngest into engineering, they want to try to help clean her up and make her run... 12-y.o. daughter is totally psyched, said "we can still sew if the power goes out!" Got a chuckle outta me :)
Yes, I always tell my DH that I can sew even without power -- he thinks I am so funny!

I haven't had to pay more than $10 for the belts, I get them from my local sewing repair shop. I have 7 treadles and love them all. The Model 27 pictured on page 357 has a bobbin winder down low. I also have a Model 127 pictured on page 469 with the bobbin winder where yours is. The only difference between the 27 and the 127 is the bobbin winder's location.

Clean your cabinet, treadle irons and all with Scotts Liquid Gold. If you do a search of tutorials here, you will find Billy's cleaning tutorials -- that is what I used to clean up my machines, cabinets, and treadles.

Putting on the belt is no big deal, when I run out of the clamps to hook the belt together my DH uses cut and bent paper clips.

Welcome to the world of treadles -- once you get hooked you will never want to go back!

Nancy
Old 01-03-2011, 03:12 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

is the clamp something extra I need to ask for? Or will one come with the new belt? The old one that snapped (I have the pieces) looks like they used a heavy-duty staple to attach the ends! There is also some old crusty electrical tape wrapped around one of the back treadle pedal arms... I'm going to unwind it tomorrow and see what's under there. I figure if there's a break in the irons, just retape it again unti I can find someone to make a proper weld for me.

The shoppe that services my embroidery machines IS kinda pricey, but would allow me to have it now... that's maybe worth it for the extra couple dollars, I'll be able to make it move which I'm thinking will be more incentive to get it all cleaned up. Now I gotta go get some Liquid Gold :) My daughter is soooo psyched, and so am I!
Old 01-03-2011, 03:30 PM

I sew my treadle belts together with a large eye tapestry needle and the cheapest dental floss I can find, it works great.
I always manage to break the staple that comes with the belt.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:42 PM

You can aslo use aleather shoe lace for a belt.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:58 PM

Hi everyone. I'm new here and I am currently on page 108. It might take me a month to read all 500+ pages lol. I love it though, everyone has some beautiful machines. I have a question I hope you guys and gals can help me with.

I have a Singer model 27 (H172728). I was cleaning it, thanks for the tutes Billy, and I think I'm missing something on the tensioner. I don't know much at all about sewing machines but the manual I downloaded showed a hook like thingy on the tensioner that the thread is supposed to go through but I dont have one of those. It looks like the "hook thingy" is part of the spring (not the thick one you can easily see but the other one), but mine doesn't have the "hook thingy". I posted a picture, I hope I'm making sense... lol.

Thanks - Dana
Attached Thumbnails attachment-152860.jpe  
Old 01-03-2011, 03:59 PM

I bought a Featherweight last summer and have a cardboard box of attachments.

However, someone posted a Featherweight for sale today on this board and I am wondering what the green plastic case is used for. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-87298-1.htm

I also have that case which was not purchased with the Featherweight. I thought it was some type of cams but wasn't sure what machine they are for or exactly what they are.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:12 PM

We use Evapo-rust and it's a great product. My shuttle for my sphnix looked like the rusty one you have and an overnight soaking in the product made it like new.