Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 06-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

How fortunate you have 2 homes to go back and forth to, gals...safe travels, Honchey.

Well it's some spending money, dublb...I don't think people realize how under paid quilters how whether it's as a teacher or pattern maker. I know I didn't get min wage for the hours I spent this winter and spring. That being said, I have enjoyed what I did as I am sure you have also... and if it continues you will be able to get more as time goes on. Bounced over the lawn today...it was such a butchered job earlier because of the long grass I had to do it before the next round of rain starting tomorrow. Have a goodnight...
Old 06-04-2015, 04:30 AM

I'm having a problem with charging for a quilt. Bev, it got you a little spending money and like OK said hopefully will lead to more opportunities and increased fees. A gal I used to work with asked me to make a quilt with Hot Air Balloons. If she wants a full size (and I think she wants larger which I won't do) it will take about 20 blocks. I made up one block, paper pieced, and it took me 3 hours. If I got $10/hour just for labor that would be $600 in labor alone. Then there would be fabric and batting, etc., which is about another $200. She can't pay $800 even tho I know the quilt would be worth that much. What to do? I'm going to try to convince her to have me make a bed runner. Even that would be almost $300; again, she can't afford it so I thought I'd tell her $175 and see how that goes. I hate to undercut the prices of other quilt artists. So I'm debating just saying no, I can't do it. Help me out, ladies--what do you think? I have to let her know by Monday. (Oh she also said and I need a baby quilt, too but I know she can't afford these things--she has my old job and I know what she makes and it's not a lot).

Safe trip, Anne. Hope QNS is having fun on her adventure.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:20 AM

JanRN, I make my quilt tops because I want too; not to 'sell', but I am asking for the LA fee now with each top....or they can sit in a box at my house. Because I love to quilt and feel blessed to see and to sew again. Again, too many people do not realize the amount of work it takes or money...and ask the question any way...thinking if we are charitable enough, we will 'gift' them with a quilt. Show your a spread sheet with the figures for the real cost of a quilt, from the babric to the binding....and labor. Introduce her to the real world....and then say with what you have lined up to do, it will take two years to bring it up to the top of the list. I think she will get the idea then to forget it. If not then, she can purchase the fabric one month, then the pattern, and pay out in three months the full amount...let her judge if she can afford it or not. She just may not know what she is asking of you; most people do not.

Dublb and Honchey, I cannot care for one house well enough to ever think about two of them. Good luck to both of you on your journeys. When I traveled within a district working, it never failed that what I wanted was in a another place!

Yes, JanRN, I am so ready for Tuesday when we are set to travel again. Never had a discouraging word the last day, all day long. Wonderful sunny, beautiful day. May you all have sunshine in your hearts today.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:44 AM

notebook is all done on the new project beginning in August. Whew!
Old 06-04-2015, 10:47 AM

Sorry Jan I can't help a lot...I usually do cost of the materials times (fabrics $100, my time $100) but if each block is taking that long I would feel inclined to charge more. Have you thought about altering the pattern and not doing so many hot air balloons? I made this quilt and changed the big blocks to kites/flowers http://creativesewlutions.danemcoweb...oduct/boxtrot/
Attached Thumbnails dsc03664.jpg  
Old 06-04-2015, 10:49 AM

QNS--I have 70 blocks printed, 22 are measured---this number will grow tonight and Sunday as I have archery practice and a tournament...I'll take my bag and sit and work on them while the kids shoot.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:06 AM

Carrie, what do you mean by "measured", if I may ask?
Old 06-04-2015, 11:23 AM

I measure each section on the papers (for paper piecing) so I can pre-cut my fabrics to size (plus the 1/4"). I like to have my papers and fabrics all pre-cut so when we start the quilt along I can keep up a little easier.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:39 AM

I wondered because the rotary cut list by block is on the disk.... but I cut out the templates and cut my fabric to do the pp...so I do not waste the fabric. I think it allows one to cut the fabric to size to do the templates, not sure. I think your results and mine end up about the same...and achieves the same purpose. In our own comfort zone!

I gave tried to think up a way to cut each block out and 'bag it' with the notebook, but have not found a good way of doing that yet., other than trying to put them into the protective sleeve and that 'bugles' the sleeve out too much and causes it to spill out.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:40 PM

QNS & Carrie, thanks for the suggestions. I quilt for MY pleasure and don't enjoy doing what someone requests. I do like the Hot Air Balloon blocks. My son copied & sized the blocks for me: one large center block will measure 18" and the rest 8". Carrie, I like that layout with your kites and may draw something like that up to see how it looks. If I do a bed runner, do you think $175 is too much? I found some in various catalogs and some of the kits are that much and more, then add labor (which no one wants to pay). Can you tell I don't want to do this? I enjoy sewing for the B&B because she lets me make what I want and is happy with bedrunners--they look really nice on a white bed spread on the rustic twig beds she has.

I have about 85 blocks copied from FWS. As I look at them, not many seem to need to be paperpieced--lots of the blocks are just multiple squares and a few triangles. Lots of small pieces in these blocks. Not sure how to organize them either; just in a file folder for now.