Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 09-22-2015, 12:16 PM

Rosy, your 'happy' fabric is being sent tomorrow and I will include a package of the noodles so you can get the 'code' off of the package and have a local grocery store get some in; if that does not work... and you like them, I will order them here by the case..

Being a history major and raised by a Grandmother and GF, I am amused at the language in this author's book that is of today's world not the 1910 - 1930 era. Women did not have many rights back then, until after WWII. Even in the early 1980's I reached for a credit application in Texas in a airline travel place of business and was told I could not have that...why??...I inquired....because your husband has to fill it out the lady replied. But he is in service and I am working and making the money, I replied. Does not matter, she says, he has to fill it out and it be in his name. It took Wade vs. Roe to change that in Texas. Nor did a lady sit in on a jury duty until after 1954. Up until after 1948, a lady could teach in country schools, for twenty to forty dollars a month, live (boarded) with a family in that district, went to church on Sunday morning, wore no make-up, no married ladies could teach because they 'might' get in the 'family' way. Men had the final say with the little wife and any daughters. men could literally lock the daughter who lived at home into her room, and give her bread and water, until she agreed with the Father.

Different regions of the USA had their own sayings and way of expressing themselves not found in other parts of the USA. One of our childhood neighbors would not ask to be taken to town, it was will you carry me to town? "She is feeding her face in the kitchen", children should be seen and not heard,. Aunt L put all three of her young boys in the play pen under a shade tree, and went to the field with Uncle B. because he could not hear. He read lips. They would be changed and bathed in the evening and feed a meal then, after L and B got back from the field.

So, ladies, the "Good old days", are the ones you are living now.,,, having credit cards, owning property, working full time outside the home, and enjoying the freedoms of today having a cell phone and computer and sewing Computerizled sewing machines.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:06 PM

I devoured the letters in the book. Although it was a difficult time to live, the women seemed fulfilled and happy. I think 'today's woman' is missing out on a lot of wonderful things that the women expressed in those letters.

I'm satisfied with a man being in charge and 'wearing the pants.' The key, of course, for that to work is to have a good man be your partner. Credit cards have caused a lot of problems in my life, and I admire women who budget and use cash instead.

I was very happy working inside the home, being a housewife and mother. I was really blessed and fortunate to be able to do that when my boys were young. Now I have to work for a living, and even with a job I like, it's not such a fine life as the earlier one.

I loved cleaning my house and making it a welcoming place for family and friends. I liked preparing food, with each meal having something from all 'the food groups,' taking into account texture and color. I liked doing crafts with friends, with sisters, with my children. I liked the tradition of using my home for extended family gatherings at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter holidays.

I pity the women who put their children in daycare and go to work as a choice instead of necessity. I never wanted anyone else to raise my sons. I never wanted to miss welcoming them home from school. I never wanted to miss their day programs at school, their lazy or active summer days; or their first word, their first missing tooth, their first dance... any of it! I selfishly wanted to know all their growing up experiences firsthand, not through the pictures or messages of a caregiver. My first son had five surgeries before he was five-- what a mess I would have been if I was at work instead of home to change his dressing and empty his catheter! What in the work-world could ever compare to family life?! I understand some women love their careers. And I certainly loved mine.

The young women of today have cell phones as an extension of their arms. They are texting when I am sitting in the same room trying to have a conversation with them... And for those who like to use the Internet, the computer sucks time away from them worse than television did in the 60's and 70's. There is certainly a lot you can read and learn on the Internet... but outdoor exercise can give you a sense of well-being, playing a board game with friends can make you laugh, or attending a musical concert can give you enjoyment. People can lead you down new avenues of adventure. It may be fascinating to read about how the Eiffel Tour was constructed, but it's more incredible to travel there and see it yourself. And better when you see it with a person you love. :-)

Last edited by givio; 09-22-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:13 PM

Here is the Country lane to go with week 10. Now to catch up with week 11 for the cat's paw.

NS, you are a darling. I am looking forward to these noodles and I am sure I will be able to find the info that I need on the package.

The good old days were only the good ole days for the guys back then lol. I was raised in Belize and I refused to marry any of those guy as they still live that way down there lol.....long story lol.....

Anyway, I live the good days here and now. In England during those good days, a wife's property became her husband's the minute she married....

Oh, here is a pic of the nan bread, they were delish...
Attached Thumbnails pony.jpg   nan-bread.jpg  
Old 09-22-2015, 06:31 PM

givo - I was a SAHM also. It was my pleasure to be there for my kids. I can't really say that I was a good housekeeper as I am very unorganized. I know when school started every year I felt lost. I am so glad I had that time w/'em. I am also happy w/my life now as a retired SAHM. They grew up & I now I can quilt!
Old 09-23-2015, 04:44 AM

I had to look twice, Dublb, at SAHM; I was one year and I was miserable; spent all my time in the kitchen cooking! We agreed that I would go back to work after that! Loved my job working wigh children at various public and school libraries, reaching out to kids to turn them on to reading. Building up libraries, trying to 'find' what each would read that turned them on to reading.

One little gal in a junior high bad mouthed her Mother in front of me and her Mother... and I turned to the girl and started in on her... WHY, I asked, She is your Mother!?....when I finished, the girl stepped back, and looked at her Mother and said, I don't know.....and they became good friends, Mother and daughter, and the Mother thanked me more than once for talking to her daughter, so I guess that was what I was suppose to do in life, helping others along the way. Each in our own way, doing our thing we were meant to do. . . whether in the olden times or now.

Have a good day everyone, the sun is up and shinning bright, time for me to get the day going here.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:18 AM

Interesting how this conversation has evolved. I'm a little younger than all of you, 33, so I was right on the cusp of the internet age. I had a very archaic cell phone at 16, but it was only used so I could call my parents when I got off work before I drove home. I worked at an IHOP about 3 miles from home, but during summers would work until midnight some nights. I actually refused to get a fancy cell phone until probably 5 years ago. I moved out to the east coast about 7 years ago and was even working for Apple. I was basically the only one without an iphone. I was known as the free-spirited, frustrating family member that no one could get ahold of instantly. I had a phone, but generally it was either turned off, under a pile of something in my car, or suffering from a dead battery. I am definitely the black sheep of the family, and just didn't (and still don't) like the idea of being electronically tied to obligation. I'm pretty naturally introverted and day-dreamy, and have an anxious personality, so being constantly connected to the world at large, or interrupted by a smart phone really bothers me. I'm an explorer and observer at heart, and love to wander and allow that to find adventures for me.

Right now, I have absolutely no desire to have kids, and I'm extremely fulfilled with life. I'm in a period of extreme transition career-wise and although I'm working a crazy amount of hours at two different jobs, one my dream job, it's leading up to spending my working hours doing what I love and connecting with people on a more meaningful level. I've been at my dream job for about 2 months now, and I feel like I've learned so much and have really, genuinely helped people. The sense of happiness I received from that took me completely by surprise and has really motivated me and narrowed my focus. Cheers for life and happy coincidence.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:02 AM

Hi Everyone, I was a SAHM for the first 3 yrs, then worked driving a child to Children's hospital in Philly 2 days a week until he received his first of several kidney transplants..I did that for 2 yrs then went to work in a restaurant/catering business for another 8 yrs then followed the owner into doing home parties until 1985 then retired after burning my hand very badly... went to work for Viking in 2006, I went to the store and inquired about a machine..after speaking with the manager for several hours , she asked me if I wanted a job...I went to work the following week! that Gallery closed 6 months later and was asked by another manager to come work at her Gallery and I've been there every since.. only now I only go in as a fill in...when they downsized 4 yrs ago I gave up my regular hours to another worker that needed them more than me..so I'm very happy being a fill in and work about 25 days a year here & there... I'm very happy doing what I do part part time... DH tells me I"m the only person he knows that has a smile on her face when Viking calls.. I should have inquired about a sewing machine 20 years before I did.. I really love being around people that enjoy the same interests and being able to visually enjoy my surroundings as the Viking Gallery is in JoAnn fabrics.

My Kids are coming for dinner so I have to get a move on..Later, H
Old 09-23-2015, 10:40 AM

The fat quarter shop is doing a 30s farmer's wife sew-a-long with a couple of bloggers and featuring guest bloggers. I'm interested to see what they come up with! It is starting on Monday the 28th.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:14 AM

Rosy, it was good you send me your telephone number and we got the address straightened out at the PO. It should be there the 25th of the month, if not let me know, please.

Never thought I'd marry as a youngster, but I did wait until College degree was earned before saying, "I do", some 50 years ago come March 29th. It has been 55 years since High School graduation, and that does not seem possible ..Oct 9-11 is our homecoming activities. A BBQ at our home kicks it off. Dh and I had three children, two girls, and then the boy...al grown and none of them live close by. Only one grandchild. My deepest wish is for the first and last of our children to have and hold their baby in their arms, but its not likely to happen; they will never know that joy and that love that we experienced with each of our own children. Nothing in this world compares with that special moment in time, at least to me...children are a special gift in life's journey...and double blessed when its a grand child to pass love onto in this life.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:55 AM

NS, thank you so much. It sure was a surprise to hear you voice today, we will have to have a proper chat on the phone when the parcel comes. Send me your land line if you have on and I will call you when it get here. I can call free anywhere in the usa. Going to library now to get some mystery books that I have on hold...then to make more pony blocks....later