Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 394 of 542 FirstFirst ... 294 344 384 393 394 395 404 444 494 ... LastLast
Results 9,826 to 9,850 of 13526

Thread: The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Had an awesome Sunday. Birthday party for my aunt's 90th birthday at a beautiful lodge on a lake. Weather warm & breezy. Have yinz checked out the "Super Moon"? It's so beautiful!
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Hi Everyone, Beautiful weather today, returned home yesterday from De, had a great time picked up 2 row by row patterns and did some shopping ,,,not much just 2 small pieces for the R by R...

Grilled hamburgers and corn on the cob for dunch today...farmer picked the corn right from the field for me..got a dozen eggs that had XXXXX all over from the same farmer...

Accucut some stamps & candies this evening for the exchanges later this month.. DH is running a tub for me right now and then I will do a little sewing after that...this past week was very relaxing for me..Oh, and just had a request from my youngest GK's mom and now we're taking him with so he can be with his brother in NC...He cried terribly when he found out that his brother would be down there without him...So I guess I'll be getting the feather beds out so they can sleep on the floor together..

OK, Sorry the flubug is visiting your family, I hope it's a short stay...it's no fun being under the weather...

Have to watch a movie..Outlander...I read the book a looooong time ago...Later..H.

Anne - I've read all the Outlander Books. They are outstanding! It is amazing to me the imagination these writers have. For those who have not read them, they are written by Diana Gabaldon. There are eight novels in the series.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Hi JeanieG, I only read the first three..it was so long ago.there wasn't a fourth in the works at that time...I'll have to check the library.. Thanks for the info...

JeanieG, that cake sounds yummy...worth meeting in the virtual RV to sample. Have fun camping!

JanRN, sounds like a lovely weekend and visiting with family and friends celebrating the Aunt's 90th birthday.

Sorry, Oksewglad, that the family is battling the flu. Like my DGM, I would rather be sick than to nurse a sick child.

Honchey, its nice both boys will be with you because they will entertain one another at times, play games together for a quiet time while you rest. We have an air mattress from Wal Mart about thirty five dollars that blows up with a vacuum cleaner that is very comfortable to sleep on...an elevated level, I have even slept on it. Its easy to deflate and store in a closet.

Carrie have fun with your bf quilting together...what a real treat!

Our DD loved her trip to Maine, meeting her bf from High School and seeing the area and sampling Maine Lobster. DS is looking at coming back North this winter...unsure right now...because he is changing jobs...still in the six figure income and might be able to work from anywhere...on his computer.

Hope its a good week for everyone.

QNS and anyone else who wants to try it - here is the recipe:

Caramel Apple Cake

3 eggs
    2 cups sugar
    1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking soda
    3 cups chopped peeled apples
    1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

TOPPING:
    1/2 cup butter
    1/4 cup milk
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    pinch salt

In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy; gradually add sugar. Blend in oil and vanilla. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; add to egg mixture. Stir in apples and pecans. Pour into a greased 10-in. tube pan; bake at 350 for 1-1/4 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.

In a small saucepan, combine topping ingredients. Bring to a boil; boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Let cool slightly then spoon over warm cake (some topping will run down onto the serving plate.)
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Thanks, JeanieG., I copied the recipe and saved it; also printed out a copy to try. I am planning a Pork and Beans cake soon...it uses pineapple in it too....especially tasty with BBQ meal.

Hey Ya'll I went ta San Antonio! What a wonderful time I had! My DM & I left on Thurs & drove ta my DF's house in San Antonio. We spent the night & talked long inta the night. I got up early on Fri AM 7 went ta the airport ta pick up my DD. We all had a great time that day talkin' & laughin'. DM did decide ta git a hotel room for that night. (I think my talkin' so much kept her up, even though she swore it didn't.) That evenin' we ate on the river walk & went ta the Loretta Lynn concert. What a delight that was! (I think my DD is more o' a Loretta Lynn fan that either my DM or I am!) I bought an autographed set o' CD's w/over 50 songs on it. What I didn't know was that my DM brought a new pair o' shoes for this trip. Not a good idea! She has blisters on the top o' her feet! It slowed her way down for all the walkin' we had ta do. The next day DD & I picked up my DM from the hotel & met DD's DMIL & both o' DD's kids. We took a bus tour & saw a ton o' stuff that day! It was so nice! If ya like history I highly recommend the Grand Tour. For $50 ya git ta see an awful lot o' places & git a bunch o' information about 'em. Most important is ya git ta git inta an air conditioned bus in between each stop! I also think it payed for itself as the tickets, gas, & parkin' would have cost us much more. That night the 6 o' us stayed in a hotel suite as my DF really wasn't prepared ta entertain children & another adult. We ate on the river walk. DD & I went shoppin' close ta the mall while DD's DMIL, my DM & the kids went back ta the hotel room. We were surprised that the kids decided on their own ta go ta sleep before we got back. We were gonna have a midnight swim. (One o' the things we shopped for was a swimmin' suit for me.) Well the next mornin' we went swimmin' then checked out o' the hotel. That afternoon we went ta the zoo & rode the li'le train around the park. After the hot zoo that train ride was like air conditoinin'. After that DD & the rest headed back ta Houston while DM & I went ta Brady. We went through Fredricksburg but got there about all the shops closed up. We did find a really nice place ta eat. The house in Brady was such a nice quiet respite after the busy weekend. We came home yesterday.
    Last edited by dublb; 08-12-2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spellin'
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Dublb, It sounds like you had a wonderful time in SA; your descriptions brought back memories of SA for me. The River Walk is wonderful to walk or to ride one of the boats. A great break for you, and I am so happy you enjoyed yourself. Have a great day everyone!

Good morning--just checking and and hope everyone is well. Sounds like lots of good family time for everyone--so, so important. I've lost so many family members in the last 2 years.

Great day planned today. Going to the Quilting & Sewing Expo in Pittsburgh with my 2 quilty friends. I love going anywhere with them but the Expo is one of my favorite places. Everything under one roof, tons & tons of new stuff. I can hear my credit card whimpering already! I'll let you know what new goodies I find.

Have a great day everyone, do something you love.

Back to square one, according to the eye Dr. my sight is back to where it was prior to April 1st and the Optic Nerve swelling up. So as soon as I can, I will pick up my projects and catch up on each one.

Tomorrow is canning Missouri Peaches....a great way to start a new day. Celebrate the new day by doing something you love to do.

Blog Entries
    Any cake left? Thanks Jeanie. Will have to give this a try. It will be apple time soon.

Glad you had a good time in San Antonio, dublb. I've never been to Texas.

So Jan what did your credit cards buy today? What fun.

Oh what good news, QNS. Brighter days are ahead..

Two days, two road trips. Yesterday took GD #1 to orthodontist (1 1/2 hr away) to be fit for braces while Mom took GS#1 to State Fair to give his presentation on flag folding with 3 other young fellows. Today we met DD half way and swapped kids. DD got 3 girls and we brought back 2 boys (12 yo's--a friend tagged along who wants to be on the farm.) LOL on the way home as I told the 4 boys I know where every quilt shop is between here and home and if you don't behave we will stop at every one.... That worked for a while. Toward the end I had to do a little disciplining--mostly geared at the 4 yo. I turned in my seat and straightened him out saying "That's enough!" 15 minutes later we hear from the middle seat little Sam telling the 2 12 yo's.."Gramma said, 'that's enough, so quit it!'" I guess what Gram says is law--we had to smother our laughter....

Last night got the binding finished on a long table runner for our TV stand. Today on the road I have the jingle bells on all the Santa ornaments I've been finishing up for the last 2 years! Will get photos, soon.
    Last edited by oksewglad; 08-14-2014 at 04:07 PM.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

QNS--that is great news! Hope that your canning goes well and you can get back to sewing soon.

Jan--how was your shopping day??

We started school this week...just a couple days to introduce new books. Next week will be our first full week. I am packed and ready for my quilting weekend with BF. We're planning to go to a few shops and then quilting at the hotel. I am going to work on my 50 Star blocks. I have fabric for several of them pre-cut in hopes that I can get lots accomplished. Next week I need to work on quilting my nephew's quilt. I go to the neurologist next week to talk with her about my headaches again...we'll see what new ideas she has.

QNS, great news about your vision. Take care of yourself and don't over do it trying to catch up on all your projects.

Carrie, sorry you're having so much trouble with headaches again. Hope your neurologist has a solution.

Quilting Expo was lots of fun; my credit card is now a little piece of melted plastic LOL. Not really, just got a few FQs and some background fabric for my Christmas wall hanging. More vendors were selling yardage this year instead of just precuts. The main focus of the show seemed to be quilting machines of all makes and sizes. I saw lots of people purchasing long and mid arms--doing their best to boost the economy.

There was something that's bothering me. When we walked in we saw beautiful quilts on display in the distance. All "old fashioned" patterns: Grandmother's Flower Garden, Coxcomb, Irises, Tulips, etc., all done in "old fashioned" fabrics. As we got closer we thought they're not quilts, they're rugs. When we got in front of them they were quilts but the quilting was super, super dense, so much so it looked like the nap or pile on carpets. I mean, quilted pebbles the size of erasers; straight lines less than 1/4" apart (looked like chenille); squares less than 1/2" in size. I wanted to quote OKSewglad and say "enough!!!". Is this the new "thing" in quilting? It was obviously done by computer and I didn't find that it enhanced the quilt blocks at all. If this is the new quilting, does my dislike (disdain) make me officially an old Geezer? No pic were allowed, I'd have loved for you to see examples. What are your feelings towards this type of quilting? If this is what's expected of show quilts my poor Spike quilt doesn't stand a chance at our local show in Sept. Sorry for the rant--to be blunt, they were awful LOL.

Blog Entries
    Oh I so agree with you Jan! As an old geezer, I'd like to have a quilt that drapes well and invites one to cuddle up in. At what point are these textile art works instead of quilts? Doing a google search I found this article written 18 months ago.

http://www.quiltingdaily.com/blogs/q...-to-watch.aspx

As the quilt "industry" has evolved into a multi million dollar business, someone is out there to get the most $$. One has to come up with new ideas to keep the industry going forward. Reusing old non copyrighted blocks is so limiting--innovation is the key to this success. Designers are out there asking "What if...?" and coming up with new designs and techniques, each needing to be tweaked a little bit to make it their own. I feel that the big players (i.e., fabric manufacturers and sewing machine companies) are pushing to make it bigger, better for them to make bigger, better profits.

You hit the nail on the head when you stated:
    "The main focus of the show seemed to be quilting machines of all makes and sizes. I saw lots of people purchasing long and mid arms--doing their best to boost the economy."

So many of us have more fabric than we know what to do with. The next best thing to make $ with is machines with all the bells and whistles to create the new trends. Personally I would love to have a long arm machine, but I can not justify the cost. (I need a new car instead....)

I am sure there are "artists" out there who will defend their creativity and their acquired skills, because admittedly it does practice as well as ability to achieve the results you describe.

"That's enough, old geezer!" I'm off my soap box now. Thanks for bringing this up.

On another note little 4 yo fell out of hay mow today 10' down onto the cement floor--broke his forearm in 2 places, thankfully not near the growth plate and no concussion from landing on a cement floor. Yes his arms "broke" the fall. He didn't like the cold veggie packs Gram made him keep on for at least 10 minutes.... All will be well, but just another "this is not how my day was supposed to go" experience and maybe a little more cautious 4 yo.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

OK, hope the 4 y/o is doing better. I'm sure Gram made a special treat.

Can I continue my rant? I was behind a few ladies watching quilting being done on a long arm and it was smooth, perfectly executed. As I got up to the machine I was going to compliment the quilter. Who? I guess it was the lady sitting beside the computerized machine sipping coffee and reading her IPad. It was a computer doing that perfect stitching!! What's that all about??? Now I really feel like a geezer. This is not creative or artistic--it's a computer. I guess the skill there is loading the machine, picking a pattern and pressing a button. I'm sure I'm offending someone and I apologize (sort of). So at judged quilt shows are quilts judged differently if they're done by computer? OMG, I am a geezer.

First I am a bit fussy 'cause we were supposed watch a movie but are havin' trouble w/the DVD player. Grrrr

There was a time that our great grandmothers had ta quilts very close because if they didn't the cotton would shift. As battin' got better we were able ta quilt nice puffy quilts. I love puffy quilts! The more fancy quiltin' is becomin' popular now & most o' it is tightly quilted feathers & such. I like the neat quiltin' but wish it was a bit puffer. LOL I'm glad that there is a diverse world o' quiltin' out there & we all can find what we like ta do.

OH DH just got the DVD player agoin'. Movie time!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN View Post
    OK, hope the 4 y/o is doing better. I'm sure Gram made a special treat.

Can I continue my rant? I was behind a few ladies watching quilting being done on a long arm and it was smooth, perfectly executed. As I got up to the machine I was going to compliment the quilter. Who? I guess it was the lady sitting beside the computerized machine sipping coffee and reading her IPad. It was a computer doing that perfect stitching!! What's that all about??? Now I really feel like a geezer. This is not creative or artistic--it's a computer. I guess the skill there is loading the machine, picking a pattern and pressing a button. I'm sure I'm offending someone and I apologize (sort of). So at judged quilt shows are quilts judged differently if they're done by computer? OMG, I am a geezer.
    I totally agree...Is it in the search in perfection?--whilst I'm stitching little log cabins with 3/4" wide strips, because well I'm trying to get it perfect and if I don't that's okay cuz I'm only human.

Yes he's much better tonight, tomorrow may be different when it starts to be more uncomfortable. In a splint/soft cast til Wednesday. Then big sisters watch out as he will have something hard to hit them with......

Enjoy the movie, dublb!!!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Jan, you know I am also an "old geezer" too. I like my quilting to make the design stand out - not cover it up with stitches. You and I have talked about this before and are on the same wave lengths. No over all quilting - make those designs stand out. Quilt a great design on those blank spaces. Make that quilt wrap around us to keep us warm, I don't think those stiffly quilted quilts are meant to be "used". They are just show quilts or wall hangings!

I agree with JanRN and JeanieG; I take my checkbook to pay for the quilting which needs to be three to four inches apart according to the batting used....and I do not want it to destroy the quilt piecing, just enhance what the piecing design is...not take center stage. It can be free hand or a 'pattern' like the neighbor across the street does for me.

No, I am not putting the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt or the Pony Club on a bed...they are for display on the wall; so will the 3-D Grandmother's Flower Garden. At least in my lifetime. That is my idea of 'art' form.

Oksewglad, so sorry the four year old took a tumble. Seems like its their way of learning things, but hard on us older folk to watch them suffer. No doubt his sisters can entertain him and 'help' him.

It is raining a nice slow rain here...all night and continues today. Perfect for the ducks. And it cuts the water bill down, which was more than the electric bill last month. Still waiting for the first ripe tomato...beetmaster is loaded but not turning red yet. Everyone have a grand day...I might even get to the quilt room!

Hello, everyone, where o where are you and what are you doing?

Got another row on my I SPY done...almost half way.

I had a great weekend and got lots accomplished...8 star blocks! My friend was able to get a quilt top together (minus the borders since we didn't have a tape measure with us) and start cutting fabric for her next quilt. We also had some great food and YUMMY chocolate and ice cream too!!

I worked at the hotel yesterday and had to take DS to an appt in the afternoon. School board meeting last night....they are discussing changes to the archery club so I wanted to hear what was being said. Today is school and cutting backing/batting for my nephew's quilt so I can get it quilted before the end of the month...his birthday is the 1st week in September.

Blog Entries
    Spent the day in the office, and today as well. Proofed the ad for national magazine this morning. Now to finish up monthly bookwork and take care of some bookwork I've let slide.
    Nice rain late yesterday afternoon, badly needed. Now must mow lawn...

Nice progress on the "I Spy", QNS.
    Your nephew's going to love that quilt, carrie. WTG Know my DIL is looking forward to a routine again with school starting on Thursday.

Have a great day all of you..
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

QNS, sounds like more progress being made. Did you get all your peaches canned?

Carrie, what fun you must have had. And you got a lot done. I'm afraid if I went on a retreat all I'd do is eat & talk too much. School starts here this week--where did the summer go?

OK, we've had those nice gentle rains off & on all week. MrJanRN planted grass seed 2 weeks ago and it's grown in already--he's so happy, I swear he went out to check on it's growth every few hours LOL. This is the first really hot & humid day we've had in awhile.

I mailed in the application form for the local quilt show with pics of my Spike quilt. Now I have to wait to see if it gets accepted into the show. Why am I nervous???? Also got block #44 of the 50 Fab Stars done today--Carrie is such a slave driver I have to keep ahead LOL.

JanRN, glad your dh grass seed is growing; the crops here are looking great with all the rain that came down gently and so slow. Good luck entering the quilt show and the ribbon that you will win.

Yes, I canned two different batches of peaches and they look great.. Our tomatoes are coming on very slow, so I bought some forty pounds for $20.00 at the green house today...and came home to pick another five pounds here. So tomorrow morning will be canning tomato juice. Thursday will be our butcher day of doing three ducks, Friday a repeat to do three more, and Monday will be some old hens. Brown ducks cannot fit into the hen house this winter, so we are thinning down the fowl so they all fit into the small building together this winter and to get their beaks out the feed can. Too costly to maintain too many birds. Might replace some with young chicks or ducks or guineas in the spring.

Too many wonderful projects to choose from in the quilt room...I want to get the I SPY out of the way to finish Mama and her kitten wall hangings and to do the border for Pony Club Quilt, and fix the borders on the two almost finished tops, then turn back on the 50 stars, Sylvia, and DJ and TW....or do a few stars....back to kitchen work first to finish to get inside the QR...no rest for the wicked one here...such is the life for one retired....well, tired is true.

Page 394 of 542 FirstFirst ... 294 344 384 393 394 395 404 444 494 ... LastLast