ARRRGH! a vent

Old 06-26-2010, 09:36 AM

Our # at the store is 7401 and the # for the local Dr's clinic is 7481...At least several times a week we get calls wanting to make an appointment. We assure them the correct # is 7481 and hope they get it right the second time!

My dad's office # was 5431 & and the local Sears catalog store next door was 5341...As Daddy got older and only went to the office occasionally, they had the phone ring both at the house and the office. My mom finally answered all calls "Law Office" in hopes of keeping people from trying to place an order with her.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:38 AM

Oh for the solution to the problem with the nursery, ask the owner if you can take her cards back to the printer since they failed to make the correction on the phone # when they did the new cards...
Old 06-26-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by newtosewing
I don't think it is the phone company's problem....as the owner would need to request the update. - I would send any letter ceritfied - then you will be able to take legal action if the owner does not respond this time.. Very frustrating!
the phone company is not supposed to give the same # to 2 different establishments. that's why it's called YOUR PHONE NUMBER. yes, write a letter to the business owner, keep a copy, send it return receipt. in the letter definitely say that you will be reporting this to the better business bureau and the att'y gen'l. going through the atty genl is a PITA, but it's free. you won't have to hire a lawyer. you can do it online. be sure to call the phone company. they may be able to clear this up immediately. one of you will have to change phone numbers, though. who had it the longest?
Old 06-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
I too, had this problem but a bit different. Somehow a hospital and pharmacy had our phone number as a doctors office. I didn't want to endanger anyone so would politely tell them that this was a home not a doctor. After the second call I researched the doctor and called to tell them what was going on. I also kept a note of the correct number next to my phone. They eventually got it straightened out.
I agree with sending the nursery a letter. After you do that, you can let them know that you might not have the patience to be nice to their potential customers anymore.
When we got our first cell phone we kept getting calls for the person that had the number before us, we would tell them she no longer had this number after awhile we got to recognize their voices and would ask if they were good friends with this girl and they would say yes, we would simply say you must not be or she would have given you her new number they stopped calling.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:05 PM

Years ago we had a phone # that ended in 4432 - the local tow truck company's was 4423....You guessed it. Calls 24 x 7....LOL they tried to buy our phone # from us for $100. We kept it.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:20 PM

I feel your pain. Late last year, I got a new cell phone for work. almost immediately, I started getting calls from collection agencies for a person who must have had the number previously. Luckily, never 24/7, but still annoying because since they were not AT&T customers calling, the minutes came off my monthly minutes. I asked ATT&T about it and they said they reuse the numbers after 1 year. I asked if I could get a new number and they said, "Sure, but we can't promise the same thing wouldn't happen. ARGGH! Since I had already given all my clients my new number, I have kept the original and the calls have slowed down to a trickle. They also said, as some have said here, that people give out bogus numbers to bill collectors, etc.
There have been a lot of good suggestions offered here, I hope you can get this cleared up. If it was her fax number though, I wonder why you are getting people calling and not fax tone transmissions....?
Old 06-26-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
Originally Posted by newtosewing
I don't think it is the phone company's problem....as the owner would need to request the update. - I would send any letter ceritfied - then you will be able to take legal action if the owner does not respond this time.. Very frustrating!
the phone company is not supposed to give the same # to 2 different establishments. that's why it's called YOUR PHONE NUMBER. yes, write a letter to the business owner, keep a copy, send it return receipt. in the letter definitely say that you will be reporting this to the better business bureau and the att'y gen'l. going through the atty genl is a PITA, but it's free. you won't have to hire a lawyer. you can do it online. be sure to call the phone company. they may be able to clear this up immediately. one of you will have to change phone numbers, though. who had it the longest?
We don't BOTH have the same number! They had it for their fax machine years ago, we got it 3 yrs ago....and they just haven't changed the business cards.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
I feel your pain. Late last year, I got a new cell phone for work. almost immediately, I started getting calls from collection agencies for a person who must have had the number previously. Luckily, never 24/7, but still annoying because since they were not AT&T customers calling, the minutes came off my monthly minutes. I asked ATT&T about it and they said they reuse the numbers after 1 year. I asked if I could get a new number and they said, "Sure, but we can't promise the same thing wouldn't happen. ARGGH! Since I had already given all my clients my new number, I have kept the original and the calls have slowed down to a trickle. They also said, as some have said here, that people give out bogus numbers to bill collectors, etc.
There have been a lot of good suggestions offered here, I hope you can get this cleared up. If it was her fax number though, I wonder why you are getting people calling and not fax tone transmissions....?
They would get the fax tone if they were calling a fax machine....not this way.

Thank you ALL for such great suggestions!!! Now to figure out what I'm going to do. I think I will take a marking pen to the nursery, talk to the owner (after looking at her cards) and if she's even the least little bit nasty or uncaring, I'll mark EVERYTHING off her cards....LOL (shoot , I'd probably get arrested for defacing her property!!!)
Old 06-26-2010, 03:11 PM

I guess, I was just wondering why people were voice calling a number on her card listed as a fax number anyway....I guess the folks with her business card don't pay much attention.

I hope you get this straightened out. I think the business owner would want to get this fixed. Good luck....be careful, I don't think you can quilt in jail, lol...or did Martha Stewart manage to do crafts?
Old 06-26-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
I guess, I was just wondering why people were voice calling a number on her card listed as a fax number anyway....I guess the folks with her business card don't pay much attention.

I hope you get this straightened out. I think the business owner would want to get this fixed. Good luck....be careful, I don't think you can quilt in jail, lol...or did Martha Stewart manage to do crafts?
No, Martha just stashed spices from the kitchen in her bra. LOL