Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dec 2011 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! (the winner is mim) >

Dec 2011 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! (the winner is mim)

Dec 2011 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! (the winner is mim)

Old 12-10-2011, 05:29 PM

Nancia I am sorry about your loss. Your post is very uplifting and I know your mom and dad will be with you in spirit as you think of the good memories that were part of your life. It is wonderful that your mom will be part of teaching medical students. My daughter is finishing Pediatric Residency and I know the time she was studying as a med student, they treated their person with much respect.

I have the letters my husband sent when he was in Vietnam, we were married in Hawaii on his R and R and have been together 44 years, I wonder if my daughter will ever read his letters. He is an awesome writer and his letters really show that. Mine were not saved as I am sure he needed to travel light when over there for 13 months as a Marine.

I like your uplifting thoughts on those pounds, ounces, first bite and calories are in the rest. Thanks for closing with such a motivating thought. I needed that.
Originally Posted by nancia View Post
thank you for all the support. i appreciate it more than you can know. i have talked to all my kids and they are doing well. i'm grateful for that as well. the memorial service will be in january. mom's remains are at harvard teaching young medical students. then her ashes will be returned and she will be mixed with dad. they were married 60 yrs and adored each other.we found dad's loveletters to her, but he threw away the one's she wrote so he would know he had answered it. would have loved to have had both sides of the romance!
i'm having my "morning" yogurt, key lime pie, yum!
i haven't caught up yet on the beginning of this thread. looks like some changes are being proposed so guess i better do some reading. as arnold says.."i will be baaack." keep plugging! every pound has 16 little ounces, lose those and you've lost a pound. just 4 more and it's a pound and a quarter, four more and , it's a pound and a half. ounces are very little and a lot easier to lose. Go for it! the first bite is the best. the calories are in the rest! yay for the losses!!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:03 PM

Nancia,
I am so sorry for your loss. I love the idea of writing a letter to her, maybe to even be cremated with her. List all of your joys and concerns and let it go. It will be so uplifting to you to say a proper goodbye.

LaurieJo, I too have thought about giving feedback but feel that is so punitive...

I love that we are still discussing these issues, please continue as they give me many ways to think about the thread.

I wonder if we should give phone numbers or a telephone tree? I know personally that when in the hospital I wanted to chat and let somebody know, but could not as I had no access to computer. I do have 2 phone numbers to call and tried once but it didn't go through, which happens at my hospital.

Podunk, I love your bunny and your feedback. I'm not sure how to just say "like"???

Beachbound, your blues quilt is definitely the BEST. I so wish I had the energy to start one, I keep saying I will but it takes so much to just move right now.

Meanmom, morning exercise is the only time that ever works for me. I have to do it before I am clean and before I am awake!! keep at it, it does your heart good!

pinsnink, tell me about your quilts...what are you working on? WAYWO

Is there anybody furiously sewing for Christmas?? I love pulling something out of the bag that I made in December. It just makes me feel good to know I did this from my own stash with my own hands.

mim, I like to know the color too. It helps me to shop and mail the FQ...

Murphy1, you and I have the same hair color. We are Silver Sisters.

Rita's Mom (nancy), I did notice when you dropped. I just didn't know what to do next...

time for me to sleep, the drugs are kicking in. I had a better day today, I actually dressed myself without assistance! I am still hobbling, but not hopping today so the pain is moving away.

Hugs to all, MJ
Old 12-10-2011, 08:38 PM

I got some really good news today. Yesterday was the skills performance portion of the state testing for my CNA (certified nursing assistant) license. I passed! There's a job waiting for me at a local nursing home if I want it. I may wait until after Christmas so I can relax and enjoy the holidays.

My latest WIP is a stack 'n whack quilt. The blocks are all done so I just need to decide how to set them in the quilt and add the setting triangles and borders. It's the first one I've attempted and can't wait to see how it looks when it's done. I started with a very "busy" African geometric print in black, brown, rust, gold and cream and used solid black for the background pieces. The ladies in my quilting group were really amazed at how the first couple of blocks came out. Most of them were using bright floral fabric so mine looks really different. I'll post a photo when I finish piecing the top.

Hope everyone has a good rest of the weekend.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:13 PM

Nancia----I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I agree writing a letter about your relationship with your mother....the good and the bad may be an excellent way to let go of the past.

Did you by any chance get your starting weight for the month on the 1st? Dont need to give the number. I think if MJ argees since you did post in the November post that you wanted to join. I feel you need to be added to our list of participants.

Podunk Princess......congrats on passing your test. Enjoy your holiday and start back after the first of the year.

Keep up all the good work on losing your weight. I am in control of what I put in my mouth and what I do.

I think if we are going to post feed back it should be from the winner or MJ or a person that MJ designates to post the feed back. I am not a fan of givning a negative feedback unless it is called for.

Jeanne - you are welcome. I hope I can give the encouragement that I have received. My rehab is going great. I had a followup with the pulmonologist on Friday, she has me out of work until first week in January.

I need to get back to work soon.............I am so bored. I am also trying to finish up some quilts that mom asked me to do for her. 2 of them I just need to get the binding on. The other 2 are panels that just need to be layered and bound.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:58 AM

Yes MJ the negative feedback is punitive (and is supposed to be), and should only be a last resort. I agree Cindy that we would need very defined guidelines of who posts negative feedback and when. There would have to be a mailing deadline and a specific procedure to follow so it would be fair. I have never given anyone negative feedback, but people who host swaps have started to give negative feedback to people who don't follow through. I guess I am just really disgusted and tired of slackers who don't fulfill their obligations.

On a happier note, congrats to Podunk Princess on passing your skills test and the job offer! You must be on cloud nine! I can't wait to see your Stack n Whack.

Hey MJ every little improvement is a good sign, we are all praying for you.

Pam how long will it take before they know if the diet is helping Ethan?

Has anyone heard from Xylie or Missy? They haven't posted here since the middle of November.

So is everyone celebrating Christmas, and if so, how? Our families are so fractured right now that we are trying to come up with new traditions. My sisters can't get along, and dad gets very nervous if we take him anywhere (he lives in a retirement apartment) so we won't be having a big family dinner this year. DH's family is mostly gone except for a sister who thinks we are beneath her, and his mom who hasn't been welcome in our home since she nearly killed our son when he was very young. I guess I'm looking for new ideas of how to make it seem festive when it will probably be just the three of us.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:00 PM

Hi ya'll. Hope your day is going well. I am "over the moon" about passing the test. After being out of school for many decades, it's good to know I've still got it!

Cindy, I know how you feel about wanting to go back to work soon because you are bored. I haven't worked in more than a year and thought I'd get so much done at home during that time, but the reality is that so much time is wasted because there's no "deadline" for doing anything. Then after a while you regret "wasting" so much of that time. I'm glad you are feeling healthy enough to go back to work.

I've been reading all the posts suggesting negative feedback for those who don't send FQ's. IMHO it may not be the best thing to do for this thread. In the other swap threads folks are actually expending time and money making and sending the blocks to others and when others don't follow through, there is an actual "loss" that is upsetting. In our case, we send a FQ at the end of the month to the person who has followed our "rules" and lost the most pounds. The negative result of someone not fulfilling their promise is that the winner does not get the number of FQ's they were expecting. If we start police-ing this thread and initiating punitive remarks, it takes some of the fun out of it and may cause some not to join the thread. There will always be those who for one reason or another don't follow through with their commitments. To focus our attention on those few takes away from why we are here for each other. I think most of us are here for the support and friendship. I know that's why I signed up. I will probably never be the "winner" but this thread keeps me thinking about what I'm eating and encourages me to continue month after month in trying to improve my health. Of course, if the majority decides to do this, I will agree also. I've got enough FQ's in my stash to last a lifetime so I'm staying here no matter what!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:19 PM

i'm not sure the negative feedback is justified. sometimes life interferes and there are things that take priority over sending out an fq. i just sent cindy's on friday. it's late, but it's on it's way. i think we are all accustomed to punishing ourselves, having a negative response just validates our low self-esteem. we're here to build each other up and encourage us for our triumphs.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:33 PM

Nancia.....I will let you know when I receive your FQ. Thanks for letting me know.

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
i'm not sure the negative feedback is justified. sometimes life interferes and there are things that take priority over sending out an fq. i just sent cindy's on friday. it's late, but it's on it's way. i think we are all accustomed to punishing ourselves, having a negative response just validates our low self-esteem. we're here to build each other up and encourage us for our triumphs.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:34 PM

Hi everyone, This will be my first post since I joined. I am having some trouble with the new board and lost the thread and than Christmas and some sick friends,dh, and my dog took up some of my time. But when ever I put something in my mouth that should not have gone there I thought of you. I am glad that you are all there. I have only 10 lbs to take off, but it might as well be a hundred. I stopped smoking 2 years ago and only gained a few pounds, but than my brother passed away, and there was my 10.

Nancia, i am so sorry for your loss. I love the way you have broke down that pound. I think I will go for 4 oz tomorrow. I cannt wait to tell my friend of your way of looking at these pounds.

I will try to post more, now that I found it again. lol
Old 12-12-2011, 05:42 AM

Hi all

Another start to a new week and i think i can see the dust trail of the wagon i fell off of last month so that is positive for me

Nancia, My deepest sympathy for the loss of your mom.

I hope everyone is ready for the holiday. It comes and goes so fast and one never knows how many each of us will be given with our family and friends so make each one as special as possible.

One day at a time one ounces at a time!

Lisa