Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
January 2014  Weight loss Adventure with a PRIZE!!!! >

January 2014 Weight loss Adventure with a PRIZE!!!!

January 2014 Weight loss Adventure with a PRIZE!!!!

Old 01-22-2014, 05:04 AM

Wow Kathleen those came out beautiful. I would love to see a closeup of some of those. I remember when you talked about doing them. That is a lot of gorgeous work there. Did you have a pattern for the background or did you just do it yourself. I want to do that with my Kaffe fabric and am too lazy to figure it out.
I have a 2 hour delay for school today because it is -7. I guess it is too cold for the kids to stand at the bus stop. We got 4 inches of snow yesterday. My DH plows snow so this has been good for us. I got my exercise yesterday shoveling the driveway and walks. I did the neighbors too. He has lots of health issues so he can't. His wife and DS were at work.
I am making a disappearing pinwheel. Also from my stash. It is a Missouri Star tutorial. I got tired on working on my DD quilt so I am doing this.
Attached Thumbnails dsc01213.jpg  
Old 01-22-2014, 08:42 AM

Ok, I'm bad this month. I have been crazy busy with all kinds of stuff and have not gotten my FQ's mailed.
I did finish the quilts for the children of the 2 Navy pilots that were killed in September. I went to the memorial service on Friday and delivered the kids's quilts along with the Home of the Brave quilts to each of the widows. It was a beautiful service on the flight deck of the USS Midway. I was able to talk to the ladies and hand them the package of 3 quilts each without turning into a puddle.
I will endeavor to get my FQ out today. I finally have a day that is not scheduled out the wazo!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:12 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458220[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]458221[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]458222[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]458223[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]458224[/ATTACH]This is part of what I have been up to these last couple of weeks
http://huntersdesignstudio.com/2014/01/22/honored/

Sam Hunter of Hunter's Design Studio spoke at our guild last week. It just so happened that the quilts I made for the children of the fallen pilots from my son's squadron were from a pattern that she designed. I showed her the quilts and she honored me on her quilting website yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails 031-3-.jpg   035-2-.jpg   039-2-.jpg   028.jpg   033-3-.jpg  

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Last edited by Jim's Gem; 01-23-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:15 AM

Another quilt that I whipped up in just a couple weeks is the same pattern. A wedding gift that was given on Saturday
[ATTACH=CONFIG]458290[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 043.jpg  

Last edited by Jim's Gem; 01-23-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:23 PM

Wow Gayle you have been so busy. What a wonderful idea. Love the label. How do you do them. I am not completely satisfied with mine. I have a quilt of valor ready to quilt as soon as I piece the back and it needs a label. I embroider some labels on my machine but don't necessarily want to do that on all of them.
It is really cold here. We were talking as we left school today. Something is definitely wrong when you walk out the door from school and say WOW it is so much warmer. It was 6 degrees. Supposed to be -6 in the morning. Brrrrr! I think I should stay in bed.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:58 AM

Wow, so many beautiful quilts being shown! Thanks for sharing.
Does anyone else use hotmail? Having any problems with it? Mine doesn't recognize my password anymore so I am not getting any new emails on my Mac. It works on my iPad but I don't really care much for typing on that plus the emails delete after a couple of days so I can't go back and find things.
I have one baby girl quilt top done, two to go. I hope to get this quilted before the shower on feb 1.
I am hating this bitter cold weather so much. Yesterday the high was -7.
Today I plan to get in some exercise and quilting plus a couple of hours with my Allie Cat while her momma gets a haircut.
Healthy eating, everyone! I have a kitchen full of heathy stuff to prepare meals and snack on. Hubby finished off the ice cream a few days ago and I told him I will not be buying anymore. Poor guy has no choice now but to eat healthy. Teehee!
Old 01-24-2014, 04:50 PM

Really cold here too. I guess I will just have to shut myself up in my sewing room. It was -8 when i left this morning. One of the kids told me it was so cold their boogers even froze in the car. We were all laughing. We are getting new counter tops in the kitchen. I have picked out what I want and was planning on shopping for tile for the backsplash tomorrow. It is supposed to snow 4-6 inches tonight. We don't usually get this much snow. This is one of the snowiest winters ever here.
Everyone stay warm. My cousin in Sugarland Texas was complaining she had ice on her car windows this morning.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:06 PM

My son is in Houston and he never went into work today because of the ice on the roads. He has already had one accident when he started driving almost 10 yrs ago....OMG!!! that makes me feel old.....

but he didn't want a repeat of that today. I think he learned his lesson, that one happened at night and I was too far away and too many bridges to go get him and the now ex wouldn't go get him who was closer, so his friends father who was down the street when and got him. He was there a couple hours in the cold and ice before he was rescued.

It is cold here in the Dallas area....glad I don't have the negative temps. This is cold enough.

Please keep my parents in your prayers, dad had a biopsy on his prostrate this week and they told him it would be about 10 days before we heard anything, they have already scheduled him a follow up on Tuesday which is 7 days after the biopsy. Mom is getting a steroid injection in her lower back on Wednesday. My week will be crazy with those. Don't know how much sewing I will get done.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by createfourpaws View Post
My son is in Houston and he never went into work today because of the ice on the roads. He has already had one accident when he started driving almost 10 yrs ago....OMG!!! that makes me feel old.....

but he didn't want a repeat of that today. I think he learned his lesson, that one happened at night and I was too far away and too many bridges to go get him and the now ex wouldn't go get him who was closer, so his friends father who was down the street when and got him. He was there a couple hours in the cold and ice before he was rescued.

It is cold here in the Dallas area....glad I don't have the negative temps. This is cold enough.

Please keep my parents in your prayers, dad had a biopsy on his prostrate this week and they told him it would be about 10 days before we heard anything, they have already scheduled him a follow up on Tuesday which is 7 days after the biopsy. Mom is getting a steroid injection in her lower back on Wednesday. My week will be crazy with those. Don't know how much sewing I will get done.
Cindy, my dad who is now 82 had prostate cancer a few years ago. He took treatments and is now cancer free. I know it's nerve wracking to wait on test results! I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

I decided to go weigh today...I was up. I know I haven't been drinking my water because I'm so cold and I haven't been eating right. I did eat my plan yesterday and the day before and my counselor said that was a good start. Here lately I just want to eat! Anything and everything. I think I've gotten back on track the last couple of days. My diet counselor gave me a good pep talk and encouraged me. She said..."at least you came back in and didn't give up"! That's true! I can do this! I just need to talk to myself and encourage myself and not be so negative when those little thoughts come into my head that tell me I'm a failure.

I am getting closer to finishing quilting a quilt for my cousin's daughter. Yes, it's the same one I've been working on forever. haha I'll be so glad when it's finished! I won't let myself work on anything else till it's done because I feel guilty when I look at it. Dumb I know. Anyway, I hope everyone has a great weekend and stays warm if you're in a cold area like we are. I'm in Arkansas, but it feels like the North Pole! That wind today was terrible. Hugs to everyone...we are winners!!!
Old 01-25-2014, 02:16 AM

Woderful quilts, Gayle. Glad you were able to go to the service.

CindyR, your parents are in my prayers. It is very stressful going through all that.

We finished up all the hot chocolate and I was going to switch to just drinking hot tea but my son requested more hot chocolate. I have such a hard time staying out of it and I don't want the kind that has the artificial sweeteners (I never use those). It's going to be hard to stay out of it. Maybe I need to have him more it to another shelf in the pantry so I don't see it.

On a positive note, I've eaten two small garden salads in the last couple of days. On the negative side, I'm still not back at the gym. I better hurry back before I lose all that I worked for! It's so hard to think about going back! I haven't stopped yoga, I don't have as much trouble facing that.