Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
July 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!! >

July 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!

July 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!

Old 07-11-2013, 05:01 PM

Pat, I love your dyed fabrics. Especially the green. I love almost every shade of green. I remember how it was when I had a big garden. The thing I hated most was you don't have much choice in when things need to be put up.
My son's flight was canceled for today. Seems they are being pretty careful now. He is on the same flight from Seoul to SFO that crashed. He will get into Minneapolis tomorrow evening. My daughter flew the day after the crash and said the pilot was very cautious. I guess the safest day to fly is the day after a crash.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

Roseann you are doing great. Keep going!

QuilterMomma I know what you mean. I have had a bit of that myself lately on the board, and with everything else. I'll think about it tomorrow, "Scarlett" lol....
Old 07-12-2013, 05:50 AM

Pat, I really like your fabrics. What a fun thing to learn!

Roseanne, your pictures are very encouraging. You look good.

BTW, what is the appropriate thing to say to someone who has lost a lot of weight? I recently saw a young friend who I had been concerned about - now she has lost a huge amount of weight - probably in the neighborhood of 100 pounds. I wanted to acknowledge how pleased I am but not so obviously that she felt she wasn't acceptable the way she was. I finally settled for "You look wonderful" and "No, you don't have a long way to go."

My LQS is having a huge sale this month. I will need to stay out of there - too much fabric is house clutter just like too many pounds is body clutter. I'm already there on both counts -I will not add to either category.

Pam, safe travels to your son. It's such a long trip. When my son was flying to and from Japan, it was hard for him. Too long to be confined for a former hyper child. Monday he drove to Connecticut which takes about as long, but at least he can get out of the truck occasionally.

I came home from the quilt group with a quilt that needs to be expanded. I don't want to do it, but I will remind myself it is for missions. The owner will 'pay' the women's group for our mission work and I know she will be generous. I hate taking things apart, plus I need to figure out how to add all three layers as inconspicuously as possible.

My ex is having a bad week so I've had to deal with his doctors. No, I am not taking care of him, just making sure he is being taken care of - there's a huge difference emotionally, if not physically.

My back is stiff because I didn't go walking last evening. We started out quite early but some idiot was setting off fireworks. Lily and Moira headed for home and refused to go back out. I'm glad we got in the full 2 miles Wednesday though I can't do that every day.

Cindy, my acid green batik went in the mail Wednesday. Now to wait for it and rest to come back to me.

I AM losing weight and becoming healthier.
Judy
Old 07-12-2013, 01:35 PM

Judy your acid green batik will look awesome with my purple batik. Yes it is not fun working on someone project. I would just butt the edges of the batting together and sew with a large zig zag stitch. Or they do make that fuseable tape to join batting.
My SIL is a teacher and has been looking for a job closer to home. They were 4 hours away. With my 2 grandsons. He got a job today much closer to home. It is about 45 minutes away. I will have to visit a lot since Fabric Shack is pretty much on the way there:-) They own a house 3 miles from me but it is currently rented out. He will commute for the first year and then they will decide where to move if he likes the school district. It sounds like a good district. I am so happy for them . The pay is a lot better too.
I am still trying to decide how to use my fabric I dyed. SOmething kinda wild or an optical illusion I am thinking. I have some ideas floating around in my head but they haven't formed into a quilt that I am capable of constructing just yet.
I had too much spinning class yesterday so I skipped today. I figured my knees needed a rest. I will go tomorrow. I did a little bit of weight training today. I also canned green beans, 18 pints. I have ham and beans in the crock pot and just made zucchini bread. I used splenda and applesauce (instead of the oil) in the recipe. We actually like it better with the applesauce. Sometimes I use pureed prunes or pumpkin instead of the oil. Works great in most recipes.
I have corn to freeze too so I guess I had better get to work so i can sew later.
Pat
Old 07-13-2013, 03:35 AM

@meanmom, I hope to can some green beans this summer. I haven't tried any veges yet, just pickles, relishes, and jams.

@irishrose, I've known several people who have lost large amounts of weight (100 lbs or more). The ones I'm specifically thinking of had the surgery. Some of them were very open about talking about it and some extremely private about it and didn't want to talk about it at all (despite that it was, of course, very noticeable that they were losing a LOT of weight). I always start out with something a little vague, more along the lines of how have you been doing, how are you feeling, etc. and go from there. I completely respect the fact that everyone is different and may or may not need to talk about it. I think I'm always 'safe' with a genuine "I've been thinking about you and hope you're doing/feeling ok."

I went back to yoga yesterday morning and boy did I need it. She focused on twists, saying she had overeaten over the July 4th holiday and it would squeeze our organs and get all the toxins out!! Boy, I sure felt the squeeze, but glad I went and really do feel better today. I'll plan for a walk today and we're cleaning out the garage, so I'll be moving around and not sitting all day.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:15 AM

Glad to see we are staying focused on doing what we need to do to lose the weight we want for the winning pot of batiks. That seems to be a good focus. May need to do batiks more often. LOL

We are expecting rain this weekend, today is going to be very hot about 100 or higher. I always have problems with my breathing, and will for the rest of my life, some days are better than others.

My morning started out spilling a gallon of tea on my kitchen floor, and with me not able to sweep and mop without losing my breath.......I have had fun cleaning that up. I have finally finished cleaning that mess up and the towels are in the washer, got the stickiness off the floor and now I am taking it easy before moving on to making some quilt blocks for the batik swap I am in. And no I am not using what has been sent. I have a large collection of batiks....and bought some from the all batik store for this swap.

Trying to get as much done as I can before I leave for my date tonight. Dinner and a movie, and yes it is with my older gentleman.

Have a safe and productive weekend, choose wisely remember to drink your water.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:27 AM

It's going to be hot and humid here today but I don't have too much to do outside. Just water flowers and walk the dogs. I can weed another day.

I took closet doors off yesterday so I could access both halves of my closet to clean it more easily. I didn't realize how heavy they are or that it would bother the cracked bone in my foot - I dropped a 4 1/2 # frozen pork roast on my foot on July 5th - I'm lucky it's only cracked - with osteoporosis, my bones break easily. No big deal, just painful for a while.

My niece just sent me a recipe for a Turtle Cheesecake Ball. I wonder if she wants it for the family reunion. I think not. I could eat it on the road. In 100 miles, it would be all gone. Batiks, batiks, batiks.

Wishing you all a healthy eating day.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:21 PM

The Sister's quilt show was wonderful!! Weather was perfect today, 81 and sunny. Saw many many beautiful quilts. My Foot is screaming and I will probably not be able to walk much for at least 3 - 4 days. Good thing the next 2 days are going to be spent driving back home.
I have eaten terrible all week. My brothers kept bringing Cheetos, and chips and all kinds of bad stuff into the house and of course I had to eat them! I am afraid to step on a scale when I get home Monday night.
I did avoid the ice cream at least 60% of the time, never ate it here with everyone else but did have it twice while we were out.
I have been away from home for a month. I get home Monday night and leave Thursday morning thru Monday evening. When I am home to stay I really need to get serious about watching what I eat!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 07-14-2013, 12:37 AM
Power Poster

I have a bad cold. Well hubby does too, but it is causing me to not eat very well. I hope I get with it soon.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:11 AM

I went to a birthday party yesterday. I did ok until they cut the cake. Usually i can avoid cake as I am not a huge fan of it, Now pie is a different story. he ordered the cake from a local woman who makes these really awesome cakes. One layer was carrot cake, on white with strawberry filling, one layer was reece cup. I had a tiny piece of each which probably added up to one piece. Hopefully it was cancelled out by my spinning class.
My DS is coming home from Japan on leave for a month. I am going to need a huge amount of help controlling myself. He is so bad when he is here. He orders pizza constantly, want BBQ ribs, chicken wings etc, etc. He goes and picks up White Castle hamburgers late at night. All of the things I love. I will have to cook all of his favorites while he is he. He is going to kill my weight loss. He has also planned several poker parties. At least I don't drink beer as there will be tons of that here too.
I made biscuits and gravy for breakfast. SO yummy. Pretty diet friendly. I made low fat biscuits, used turkey sausage and skim milk. It was about 11 weight watcher points. Not too bad for biscuits and gravy. I make my own turkey sausage out of 99% lean turkey.
My fabric dyeing class is all day today. It is for fabric marbling can't wait. I am sure they will all order something yummy(bad)for lunch. I packed my lunch. A boiled egg and a tomato salad. I can't eat bad at lunch as I was a little bit bad at breakfast. I will post pictures of the fabric tomorrow.