Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
June 2012 Weight Loss adventure with a prize!!!! >

June 2012 Weight Loss adventure with a prize!!!!

June 2012 Weight Loss adventure with a prize!!!!

Old 06-17-2012, 06:47 PM

Irish I didn't have any desire to make a t-shirt quilt either. This is my third one. I don't like making them. I don't know why because they are pretty easy to make. I am only making this one because a friend asked. I was told to give a kinda high price and maybe he would back out. Nope he took it. I am charging $200 plus materials. This will in no way pay me for the time it takes but it is something. I just spent all afternoon and evening quilting it with an all over meander. I still need to do the borders and the binding. I think I am going to do the binding totally by machine. I don't feel like hand sewing it. Someone in my guild showed me how to do it and make it look like it has piping. This will be my trial quilt. Can't wait to get it finished. I told myself I have to finish this and another UFO before I can start my bargello. I have the bargello fabric laying next to my elliptical so I can make sure the colors flow like they should. I look at it while I exercise. I get a lot of inspiration while exercising.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:29 PM

I'm gonna be a grandma!!! I am so excited! My daughter found out yesterday and told us today. She's not due until February but I think that is the perfect time for a first grandchild. I can't tell any of my friends in the real world until she is 3 months along so that is why I am telling my friends here.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:51 AM

Congratulations grandma. Grandkids are so much fun. I only have one so far. He is so cute. He will be 2 next month. They are thinking about a second one soon. They live about 3 miles from me, but might be moving an hour away My son and his wife are thinking about it too. They live in Japan.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:12 AM

Well so far I'm just piddling around this month again. I have been exercising regularly and going to PT but I can't seem to get focused and although not terrible my eating is all over the place. Starting the 17 day diet again today to get me kick started. No wine and no red meat for 17 days-ah well... This weekend I finally got new weedblock placed around the deck and cleaned out and arranged all my pots so I can get them planted next week. I also cut all of the 2" squares I need for a watercolor quilt class I'm taking that starts this coming Saturday. With my Accuquilt Go I was cutting 24 squares at a time. I needed 200 squares but know I have extra.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 AM

pam h-- congratulations!! you have no idea how much this is going to change your life!! and in the very best of ways! i'm so happy for all of you! a new adventure in living.

i am just about to sandwich olivia's quilt. she will be 1 on august 3rd. i may be going to dallas to see her, but i'm so angry with her mom, i just don't want to. wish i could separate the two of them, but i can't. i'm being petty and i know it, but my feelings are hurt. the good news, i suppose, is my stomach is so tied in knots i have no desire to eat. grrrrrr
Old 06-18-2012, 09:24 AM

nancia, don't you wish families could be like the old TV shows with no major problems and everything solved in less in thirty minutes. We have a major division in the family coming up soon and I see no way to get around it. DILs can be a trial. Mine is a drama queen and so is her teenage daughter. Makes life interesting, but that's not the issue that will divide my precious family.

Pam H, congratulations. You have so fun ahead of you. Do you do apparel or just quilts? I made maternity clothes for my girls. So much better fitting and not so form fitting. I'm not a big fan of the knits stretched over the baby bump after a certain point. I wish your daughter well. I can't imagine working while pregnant. Staying home was a luxury I wanted and was able to do. I started working a month after my last child started full time school and I went to the same school. He definitely wasn't remedial so it wasn't an issue. His only problem was what to call me. "I can't call you mom, I won't call you Mrs. M--, so I won't call you anything." Worked for me.

Grandchildren? 12 of those, plus 4 GC in laws, 7 great grandchildren with one more on the way.

blondeslave, I'm glad you able to exercise again. Just take it easy this time. I am so done planting annuals, but am behind in weeding the perennial gardens. I did a big section yesterday and my fingernails look terrible. I wish I could leave my gloves on.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life. I am gaining control of my eating and I am getting healthier.
Judy
Old 06-18-2012, 10:39 AM

, judy, i do! hahaha. i'm getting over it. i think she was massively inconsiderate, not malicious. my husband and i have chatted, aand he didn't realize what had was going on and why it was affecting me so strongly. he is, and always has been, on my side. the good news is, olivia has taken her first steps!! right in line with her daddy's first steps at 10 months old. her mom is going to be soooo busy chasing her!! josh was a toddler when i was pregnant with his brother, and i only gained a net gain of 1 lb. i was so active chasing josh that i ran off any extra calories. shows you the true power of exercise! lol
judy-- before you go out to garden scrape your fingernails across a bar of soap and fill your nails with it. the soap prevents dirt from getting in and is very easy to wash out.
i was running a pre-school when my daughter was 4 and one day her teacher came into my office to tell me a story. e had told her teacher that she'd better be nice to her or she would get her fired.( the teacher thought this was funny), and e told her "I'm the boss, trust me!" i don't know where she got the firing part, but i know the "trust me" came right from me! they pick up and say the funniest things! her teacher was one of the best and no way would i consider firing her. e called me mommy the whole time. she had been in my school since age 2 and never felt a conflict. i was surprised at 4 she knew about firing, and power. lol

Last edited by nancia; 06-18-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:21 PM

Judy, I used to sew clothing. It was torture for me and I only did it to save money. Back in the good old days it was cheaper to make your own than to buy from the store. I don't know that that is true now. You would have to get a pretty good deal on the pattern and fabric and all the notions. I could maybe be persuaded to make some frilly baby girl clothes though.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:12 PM

Pam H. CONGRATULATIONS!!! A baby - oooohhhh, I would love to hold and cuddle one. Our DD isn't into children or marriage yet - she'll be 24 soon. But I didn't have her until I was 38, so she has time, I just might not.

Nancia, please stay with us. We need your input just as much as you need ours. Besides I'm almost ready to start the bargello.

Eating has been spotty (is that a word for snacky also). I made Grape Salad last night for the company and it's one that I love. i will share the first day, but don't ask me after that. Has cool whip, sour cream, brown sugar and fruit in it. I put walnuts in also. I love the crunch of all the fruits and nuts. So I over indulge and then pay for it - thank goodness I don't make it often.

Well both Mom and DH are napping so I guess supper will be on hold for a little while. Take care everyone - be good to you, because you deserve it.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:46 PM

Greetings! We had rain last night and more coming today, so they say. The grass is green, the weeds are just as green, and the plants are growing good, even with the "furry" eating them.

I get to cross 2 things off my "to do list". I'm so excited. Both will go out on Thurs when I have respite and can run to the post office. First one is the AAQI wall hangings. ("Memories" and "Broken Memories") and the second is a doll blanket, pillow and pillow cases for cousin's granddaughter. Haven't ever made doll clothes or such, so this was really "outside" my box. My DD didn't play with dolls much. She undressed them and cut their hair. Oh the memories!!!

This is Tues. Do we have a taboo? I didn't do well last week with the exercise.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]343239[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]343240[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails alzheimers-wall-hangings-10810-10811-001.jpg   ellas-doll-blanket-pillow-cases-001.jpg