Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
June 2012 Weight Loss adventure with a prize!!!! >

June 2012 Weight Loss adventure with a prize!!!!

June 2012 Weight Loss adventure with a prize!!!!

Old 06-14-2012, 02:11 PM

I thought this would be a good place to ask. I need a new stove. I am pretty much done with GE appliances. They don't seem to hold up. I think I would like to switch to a gas stove. Anyone have any suggestions?
Weight loss not going well this week. I have been exercising which I think will save me from gaining. I have been having huge carb cravings. I don't know why. I feel like I could eat every carb in the house. I have been hiding upstairs in my sewing room. No food in there. At least I have been good about the exercise this week. I did the elliptical 3 time for an hour each.
Pam wow a trip to Ireland and the shop hop what a great summer so far. Have fun at the shop hop. There was an NQS Quilt show this weekend that I decided to skip since I would spend way too much money there. It was about a 50 minute drive from here. I already went to the international quilt show in April. There is a smaller show nearby at the end of the month that I will go to instead. (where I will spend too much money).
Healthy eating to all.
PAt
Old 06-14-2012, 05:19 PM

Pat, I know where you are. I'm right beside you. I have a lot more snacky things in the house to encourage Mom to gain weight. (She was only 92.5 lbs when she came to live with us.) So guess who snacks right along with her? I did have a stock of celery with peanut butter after I got home from shopping today. I feel better when I can have something crunchy. Maybe I need to drink more water at those times.

I have to remember this is a life change - baby steps are better than nothing at all.

Take care = be good to you, because you deserve it.

Gayle, prayers are being sent for you and parents. This time of our lives is hard - and a new baby coming - how wonderful. Instead of a fabric fix, I might just need to hold some babies.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:05 PM

Major snacking day here today, but my stressor has gone home so tomorrow I can jump back on the wagon. She finished the pillow for her father and cut out one for her stepfather (my son) to sew at home. That should be interesting as her mother doesn't sew a stitch and my son is on the road. I wish her success. She needs some successes in her life.

We had our salad luncheon honoring the 80 year olds in our women's group today. It's amazing how many people consider some canned fruit, cool whip and ? a salad. I made a huge bowl of chicken salad and it disappeared. Baked chicken, grapes, pineapple, celery, walnuts and light miracle whip/light mayo. So good. My other favorite is a broccoli/bacon one. The sweet ones, not so much.

I need to straighten up my sewing room - used to be the family room - and do some work in there tonight. Tomorrow I will weed, feed and mulch the rose garden. Poor things are blooming very nicely and haven't been cared for yet. I still say I need a house husband - then I could concentrate on sewing, gardening and fun cooking.

meanmom, my daughter likes her high end Electrolux appliances. Her stove is gas - propane in the sticks. I haven't used her stove, but love how easily the shelves slide in and out. The extra oven under the regular one is great for holidays. She bought scratch and dents (minor) for about half price.

everose, you have my unending admiration. 5 days with a teen with emotional problems must be like your life all the time, but G went home. Tomorrow she goes to her father's if he doesn't cancel on her which happens constantly. Tuesday night I could hear her out on the patio swing relaxing by my little fountain while chattering and laughing on the phone. I couldn't hear the conversation, just the tone. When I asked later who was talking to, "Dan, he lets me call him anytime." She's not allowed to call her birth father. Thank God for my sweet Daniel.

I am losing weight and getting healthier. Eat clean, exercise and drink your water.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:04 PM

I didn't think of the Electrolux appliances. I looked at Viking which is my first choice. My brother had one that I loved. Not sure I can afford Viking even if I win the lottery. My stove is dying. I told my DH I refuse to can this year without a new one. It takes the canner pot 1 hour and 45 minutes to come to a boil on the big burner. The front burner gets so hot on low it bubbled the non stick coating on a skillet. I am afraid it is a fire hazard. I have that one marked do not use.
I did the elliptical for an hour again this morning then I went out to lunch and undid all the good I did. I am roasting vegetables for dinner so I will behave then. I have very few WW points left for dinner.
Irish sounds like the visit from your stresser didn't go too bad. Yes I agree with you on the dishes people bring to potlucks any more. I don't think people cook much any more. A lot of my friends buy almost everything premade. Not for me, I like fresh.
Healthy eating to all.
Pat
Old 06-16-2012, 04:47 PM

I have to tell you what my friends and I did today. We have a group of ladies, all from church, my dearest friends (two of them have sons married to my daughters) anyway, One gal in our group is single, living on a fixed income, had a severe brain injury 20 years ago, has no family in the area. She loves to sew but can't really afford much fabric or really much of anything. I have been giving her fabrics for Quilts for Kids Quilts to sew and she has put together about 15 of these for me so far (7 of them went out on Tuesday with one I put together). She had this tiny, cheap (under $100 20 years ago)sewing machine. Well it has been having problems and the guy who repairs it for her asked her if she considered buying another one. Toni said "no" I can't afford one. Well, 7 of us got together and pitched in and bought her a little computerized Brother sewing machine for $170. It weighs only 14 lbs (weight is an issue with Toni) and has 60 different stitches on it. I called her up last night and told her I wanted to show her something. Only 4 of us could be here at the time she could come by. I gave her a big hug and told her we loved her and enjoyed having her sewing with us and really appreciated all the volunteer work she does around the church and all the kids quilts she sews and I pointed her to a wrapped box on my dining table. Well, she was shocked and deeply touched and had tears in her eyes. It was so cool!!!!! We are going to try and find a rolling cart for it, there were some on sale at JoAnns. She's in her 70's and it is getting really hard for her to carry the machine to her car from her apartment and stuff so we're going to surprise her with that if we can get one this afternoon.
Just had to tell you. I had tears in my eyes watching her reaction. Two of us then showed her how to get started on the machine. With her brain injury she has a hard time learning new things sometimes. I'm sure that she will have lots of questions but we are all happy to help her.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:41 PM

What a wonderful surprise you planned for your friend. Just a word about the rolling cart from JoAnn's. It's wonderful, but it is heavy (and bulky) to lift into the car by the time you add the machine and the other things you think you need to take with you. It doesn't go up and go down stairs well (only three, plus the landing) and it doesn't jump into the car. I almost prefer a large shoulder bag for accessories and the machine in my other hand - but the 301 (16+ pounds) does have a handle on the top for carrying. I'm working on getting one of the machines at church to work for me so I don't have to take mine at all. I have a new belt for thr Pfaff in my purse and I will play with it after coffee hour while I'm on that side of town. Your friend must be touched and very thrilled.

My eating is better today and the headache that hung around yesterday is gone. I don't how some of you manage with headaches. My body never not hurts, but I can ignore that. I can't ignore headaches, earaches and toothaches.

I planned my meals today - Failure to plan means planning to fail and I'm tired of failing.

Almost half a month left - how are you all doing? I'm down a few pounds.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:29 PM

Thank you Gayle! There still is good in this world - we just hear about the bad more often. Am sure your friend was overwhelmed at your gift. What an honor to have friends like that.

Eating has been better today. Not as snacky. I had a friend pop in while we were eating breakfast this morning and wondered if I could go for a walk. Well, grabbed my shoes and off we went. What a wonderful way to start the day.

Had a cousin email me to ask if I would consider making a doll blanket for her granddaughter. Well, it was at a great time. So I got the drawing paper out and outlined what I wanted to do. Just small pinwheels and her name, but it sure is getting cute. Now I'm thinking of making a small pillow and pillowcase also. Also finishing up the binding on the Alzheimer's auction wall hangings. I need to write these things down so when I get tired of one, I can pick up another. My to-do list is going to be long, because I see things that I want to try so often.

Well take care - be good to you.
Di
Old 06-16-2012, 06:51 PM

Gayle, what a special thing you and your friends did for this woman. I'm sure she will put that new machine to good use.
I just got home from the 2 day shop hop. I am exhausted! We visited 13 shops. I spent way too much money. One really good deal I got was some flannel for $3.95/yd. It is navy and black and really nice and will be really good for men's quilts. I got what was left on the bolt - I think it was 12 or 13 yards. I also got 14 half yard cuts of Asian prints. I need at least 7 more for a bento box type quilt for my bedroom.
My eating was terrible during this trip! There were treats at most of the shops. We only had time for fast food so they stopped at Mc Donald's - twice. Today there happened to be a Subway across the street so I went there instead. Time to get back on track.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:48 PM

Gayle what a nice thing you guy did buying her a machine. I am sure she really appreciates it. She wil put it to good use I am sure.
I made homemade Ice cream for dessert for a family party tonight. It was delicious. I made blueberry/raspberry and cookies and cream. I am so glad it is all gone. It was delicious. I don't even want to know how many WW points were in it. Way too many to count I am sure. Back on track in the morning.
Pam the shop hop sounds like fun. My brother and sister in law just invited me to go to Hilton Head with them. We never go on vacation. My DH will probably back out on me but I am going if I have to go by myself. My daughter will go with me if he doesn't. I haven't looked up how long the drive is maybe 12 hours?
My son in law is interviewing for a new job on Monday. He is an art teacher and isn't happy with the school he is in. I hope he gets it except they will have to move. They live maybe 3 miles away now. If he gets the job it would be about an hour away. I told my daughter she has to leave my grandson here. He is too cute to be that far away.
Healthy eating to all and lots of exercise and water.
Pat
Old 06-16-2012, 08:26 PM

Pat, Hilton Head is an awesome place for vacation. You should go! We went there several years ago. Check and see if the shrimp shack is still open. Great shrimp and sweet potato fries. Oooh, those would not be too good for losing weight.
My stove is a Frigidaire which is made by Electrolux. It has a convection oven which is nice for some things but not if you want to buy the family size Papa Murphy's pizza - it doesn't fit. The fan for the convection oven takes up a lot of space but if you want to bake 3 racks of cookies at the same time it is great.