Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
June 2012 Weight Loss adventure with a prize!!!! >

June 2012 Weight Loss adventure with a prize!!!!

June 2012 Weight Loss adventure with a prize!!!!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:31 PM

Gayle, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. It does sound like your parents need some kind of assistance. I don't envy you the drive. I've only driven that way once and that was enough because I like my traffic to move.

When I am tired after surgery - I am a bleeder, so it's an issue, I don't need iron, but salt. Go figure, but it will pick me up faster than anything.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:28 AM

Gayle, so sorry about your mother. You have a tough road ahead; especially with your father also needing assistance.
The quilt with the bathing beauty was awesome!
I am back from Ireland and had a wonderful trip. What a beautiful country! The food was also wonderful. I ended up gaining 2 lbs but I'm actually surprised it wasn't more. There were some amazing quilts at the quilt show. I took 2 classes so I have 2 ufo's to add to my collection. I WILL get those finished after I get caught up with everything.
Woke up this morning with a migraine. I hope to get it under control so I can have lunch with my friends today. Time to try a Dr Pepper.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:00 AM

Gayle so sorry to hear about your mom and dad. It is tough when they get older and need help. Even tougher when they are far away. Mine are about 18 miles from me and it is a lot of running back and forth. My sister and I do most of the doctors etc for my parents and my brother is handling the financial stuff. Dad is 88 and mom is 85. I have another sister in town but we are afraid to let her do the doctor with them because she has all kinds of what we call internet diseases. Every ache or pain she get she cruises the internet and comes up with some extremely rare disease and tries to say she has it. Then she goes from doctor to doctor about it. Eventually we never hear about it again. Nothing wrong with her.
Pam I hope the migraine is gone. Mine seem to have disappeared with menopause. I guess they were hormone related. I have been doing pretty good this week. I did 1 hour on the elliptical 3 time this week. I hope to get my bike out tomorrow. I finally bought a tire pump. There is a 6 mile long bike path about a mile from my house. It runs along the river and mostly thru the wood. A very pleasant ride early in the morning. I will see how my knee likes a bike.
Irish all 14 year olds can be difficult. Good luck. Patience isn't exactly my thing either. FOr some reason I have endless patience with the kids at school, but that all flies out the window when I walk in the door at home.
I started on my Dear JAne quilt this week. I don't know why I feel I need to make it since I am not a civil war fabric fan. I am a brights kind of girl. I have been thinking about it for a year and was going to join the group on here but you know how that goes. I am about 6 months behind with them. I am planning on trying to pick up where they are and working with them. I have 4 blocks done only about a million more to go.
Pat
Old 06-13-2012, 10:24 AM

meanmom, I raised five children - including four females and helped with several others. I know what fun girls this age can be, but this one has a lot more going on emotionally. A BIL once asked me which child I had the most trouble with. I told him that was a question I would never answer because when a problem is over, it's over and I don't keep a log. Then I decided to answer him "The female child closest to thirteen." The problem with G and I is that I cannot let rudeness and her outbursts go by. She has to own up to her problems and try harder to control herself if she's going to survive in this world. Getting by on your looks will only get you in trouble. She's off with her other GM now, but will come in ornery because Mary never feeds her enough. I can fix that if she acts okay. Chicken quesadillas are almost instant if the chicken already cooked. She actually can be fun to have around so we do have our good times, too.

On a happier note, after trying several, I found another machine that will FMQ, though not as well as the 301 - a Necchi from the 40s, so now I can work on the red quilt that's going to be vintage before it's finished if I don't get moving on it. I'm giving up and taking the plug from the 301 in to the LQS.

Too many snacks with my stressor here for the week, but no weight gain, so I'll take that. That's another problem - she's a compulsive overeater and I can't sit here and watch that. I'm almost glad she's not a birth GD in that instance so I don't feel I did it to her. I do have a GD who inherited the problem from me and hasn't learned to control her food intake herself. She is very obese and has miscarried once. I've talked to her about it - if you have no appestat, you have know when to stop. Enough is enough.

Okay, back to the machine or out to the roses. This is fun, but I need to be productive.

Pam, does FMQ with a knee control count as exercise?
Old 06-13-2012, 12:21 PM

Judy, you have a machine with a knee control? That is how I learned to sew and I long for one of those machines. I am pretty used to the foot control by now but my first instinct is still for the knee. My Elna has a knee lift for the pressure foot so that does give me some satisfaction.
My migraine is gone. When I went to search for a Dr Pepper all I found was empty cartons. (You wouldn't want to throw them away!) I went to the basement to ask K if she had one hidden away for me - that is the plan in place. She sent her bf to the store to buy more. My headache was almost gone by the time he got home. Oh well.
Lunch was nice. We sat outdoors. It is (was) a beautiful day here. Now it is overcast and hopefully we will get some rain. I stopped by the garden on my way home and picked some radishes. I watered it which is probably why it is going to rain now. LOL If we get a nice rain, maybe tomorrow I will go back and do some weeding. I will be on a shop hop friday and sat and the weeds will be out of control by next week.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:26 PM

I bought a Necchi for $27 at SA in Traverse City last year. When I got it home, I couldn't find the foot controller. Duh, it has a knee controller. I really like it. The machine has been the base for a homemade ironing table, so when the 301 blew her plug, it was my last choice to try, but[ATTACH=CONFIG]341842[/ATTACH] lo and behold, it FMQs. It has a VN logo, not just the N, so it predates 1950. Nice solid machine, though screwy to thread. Except for the threading, it reminds me of my Elna. Both sew quietly with a strong seam. The Elna can't quilt, though.

The quilting is done unless I decide to add more to the border. This daughter likes heavier quilting than I do. Now off to cut strips for a two color binding - another first.

Turkey loaf with a southwest flavor is in the oven. It smells so good. Also some sweet potatoes. G can make salad when she gets home. She returned in a good mood, but almost lost it when I wouldn't sew the label on her pillow for her. She is off to the playground with cousins now. It's cold to go in the lake.
Attached Thumbnails 100_0212.jpg  
Old 06-13-2012, 08:50 PM

gayle-- sorry about your parents. it's so difficult when we have to take over. you are fortunate so many siblings are all involved--in discussions if nothing else. my poor sister had to handle mom all by herself. i did my part years ago and i'm convinced mom was happier without my involvement. we were always like matches and flint. she's happy now.

irish i like your machine! i keep kicking myself i left one at the thrift store. now i want a cabinet and there are none. look under the actual top of the cabinet. there should be a foot pedal attached to the front so that the knee lever works. it can easily be re-converted to a foot pedal.

while dh has been gone i have been very bad. but now i am looking toward ww. i am trying to eat only whole foods. that worked wonderfully last time!

everose-- i had the lqs order a 9 degree for me. wasn't sure what size so i told her 20". the directions said something about it isn't really 21 or something. anyway, she seemed to know in an abstract way what i was talking about. it will be here tuesday. i think i'll be doing orange and similar colors? still not sure! wish i had enough batiks to work from my stash. i agree, would be lovely!!

i am so happy to have finished the aaqi quilt. hope my swap partner is happy with it. now onto all the other swaps!. ooo,ooo, thunder! g'night, y'all!

Last edited by nancia; 06-13-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:13 AM

Good morning everyone.....hope the weight loss adventure is going well.....hope we see "less" of each other by the end of the month, lol. My texas/lone star is still lying on the couch in the same position as last time I posted. Working so much "blah" not much time for quilting this week. Good Luck everyone and hope the rest of the week is awesome!
Old 06-14-2012, 04:27 AM

Must confess I do not drink nearly enough but I am really having a problem with water retention and also my dr has me on a limited amount of liquids due to retention and heart failure. I am working hard at lossing weight but will admit it has been a real battle but I have decided if I want it bad enough I can make it work and even 1/2 pound is better than nothing. it should be easy since I live alone. The mind is willing but the flesh seems to be pretty weak. I bought a few things at grocery store I shouldnt of so far I havent consumed them yet probably should just throw it away before I give in to the temptation , Thaqnks to whoever mentioned the sit and fit exercise program I had forgot all about that program I need to get some exercise in I usually walk but havent been able to walk more than 2 blocks since my last surgery so hopefully I can benifit from their exercises.
Been working on table runners and ect for 4th of July want to make both my girls one.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:39 AM

Judy, your necchi looks like a great machine. Good thing you had her as a back up so you can work on your quilting.
Today I need to pack a bag for a 2 day shop hop. I don't have my sleep back to normal yet from the Ireland trip but I have to leave the house at 6 am tomorrow. Despite that it should be a lot of fun. 13 shops in 2 days. My main search will be for 30's repo fat quarters. I'm sure I will find a kit or 2 that I can't resist. If I can get some purse straps put together, I should be able to finish the fabulous wool purse from a class I took at the quilt show while I ride all those miles on the coach bus.
Time for some breakfast. Looks like I will have to take an umbrella for my walk today. It is dark and gloomy with frequent thunder. We sure need the rain so I hope we get some.
Have a great day everyone.