migraine

Old 06-28-2011, 09:43 PM

I have been having migraines for over 30 years. I have tried several different preventative meds, acupuncture, chiropractic, reflexology, massage. I took Imitrex for 10 years and now take Relpax. I have found many triggers and live my life tiptoeing around them. My hysterectomy 5 years ago did not help. Currently I have 1-2 a week and that is a huge improvement over some periods of my life. I have been taking notes on these comments and will try some of the ideas here.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:47 PM

Here's what I have learned over the years.
Dark chocolate ia great for a migrane. Some swear by dark chocolate and a diet pepsi as it is coming on as well as an excedrine.
Ibuprofen works better on them the Aceptaminphen.
Red wine can induce them.
When your thyroid is off you will get more of them.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:51 PM

I suffered with Migraines for much of my younger years. Ended up in the hospital many times because I could not stop the vomiting and pain. Come to find out it was the fluctuation of my hormone levels. Some women just are like that. I would suggest asking your doctor about your hormone levels. If you can get them leveled out it might stop your migraines completely just like it did mine. I have been on estrogen replacement since 45 years old. The headaches stopped. I use the Vivelle Dot .5 mg patch. A more natural way to go. It keeps my hormones at a steady level.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gramof6
I have fought migraines for over 25 years. Have been on sev preventative types of meds and pain meds as well. When I had a heart attack 5 yrs ago, they yanked me off of the Imitrex. It worked pretty well (the shots). Put me back on 10 mg Maxalt & Topamax. Topamax jacks with my heart rate and blood sugar as well as made my hair fall out. Got off of that and just try to deal with it with the Maxalt & Ibuprofen 800mgs. When it gets too bad, I go to the ER for a shot of Toridol. Percocet & Hydrocodone do nothing to ease the pain. The weather is mainly the cause of mine. Any time the Barometer flucuates, there is pain and suffering until it is stable again. And then I am so wiped out for a couple of days from all of the meds. Not a pleasant way to live but I deal with it the best I can. I am is thankful that my DH is so understanding and caring when I am sick! My heart goes out to all of sufferers. I know how you feel.
Can't verify it this but years ago there was a claim made that a air purifier will help reduce migrains for those who suffer severely
Old 06-29-2011, 12:06 PM

I'm fortunate that Excedrin works for me. The pain is horrendous. I truly understand. No position helps, lying down doesn't help.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:13 PM

My severe headaches usually come from dehydration and too much salt. Make sure you have enough water.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:01 PM

Back stretches can help- bend over and let your upper body go limp- there is a tingling someowhat uncomfortable feeling at first but getgs better
Old 06-29-2011, 07:04 PM

I take 400mg B2 every day and it keeps the migraines at bay. If I don't take it I get them with blunt trauma force so bad, I will collapse from the initial pain.

The other thing that triggers my migraines is allergies...
Old 06-29-2011, 10:32 PM

I immediately take Excedrin Migraine and go to the tub and stick my feet in the hottest water I can stand and put a ice pack on the back of my neck. In about 20 min or so I feel much better. And I also have a Mtn Dew.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:16 AM

Good days to all u FRIENDS
I chatting to craft bear today that i read all what u rote and feel better already after two full days of ---------
I felt i am not alone. Sure had some prays from u
I took Brufen 600 and drank hot Genger ,hot bath wet towel slept when i can feel relax to sleep, drank water when acceptance is there, I hate to visit docs i hate shots.
Yes maybe hormones thing and i will not admit.
I will put all your notes to try them next :cry: