migraine

Old 06-30-2011, 02:09 AM

It took a while, but we were able to track what was happening when I was getting my migraines and we found my trigger. If you are to keep a journal or what you ate the day that it started, the weather, strong smells you were around, etc. , you may be able to find your trigger and avoid it. Mine happens to be caffiene.

Also, having mess available to take as soon as you get the first sign of it coming on is key. If I can get an Advil liquid gel into me within 5 minutes of seeing the "glimers" I can usually beat it before it starts and it only progresses to a headache, not a full blown migraine. I hate having to take my Rx. Also, if you have the ability to go to a Nerologist (*sp), I highly recommend it. They made a big difference for me. By following their suggestions, I now have one migraine a year or so rather than one a week!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:59 AM

I take some pills that the dr prescribed not idea what they are called. I found though that I just take the advil migraine and pop my elbows.

I did phyiso for a long time and every time I had one starting the therapist would look at my wrists and say "well yeah you are getting one because the nerve in is pinched in your elbow". so now a quick "pop" of the elbow and the pressure is instantly gone.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:49 PM

I'm going to share my 'migraine' story, though I know the thread is probably past, but if it helps one person, it's worth the typing:

As a kid, I had severe menstraul cramps, and pms. When I had my first son, looking back, I had a bit of postpartum depression, to the point oif actually seeing things a couple of times. I think I was so happy with the rest of my life, I just got beyond these times.
Then I had my daughter, who I breastfed also, and I had a slower reduction of the hormones because of it. 13 mos later I had my third son, and because of a pregnancy so soon (it was an oops) I didn't have that drop in hormones becuase of that either.
BUT
10 days after Ben was born, I experienced this pounding on the right side of my head and my blood pressure went sky high. I had never experienced a migraine before. I was hospitalized and had an ACTH treatment. The way I understand it, some gland, I think the adrenal but I'm not sure, but it's the one that helps you deal with stress, shuts down after giving birth, Fine time for that to happen! So the ACTH was to shock it into working

I had more mild migraines for a few months after, until the dr gave me a prescription for Amytriptylene, an old antideppressant. The way I understand it, I had enough serotonin, it just wasn't accessible for use. I haven't had a migraine since, this was 23 years ago, and I take the drug before bedtime each night. Except, I did get a pound, just one, like someone was in my head with a hammer, every month, and it let me know my period would start in 24 hours.

My migraines were hormonally based, and we call my pill, the happy mommy pill. It only costs $5 a month. It as some side effects that for me are a plus. I can't sleep at night without taking it, and it's antihistamine effect is helpful in several ways
Old 07-01-2011, 12:33 AM

RX Zomig works great.

Or try Feverfew works great.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:58 AM

Hi
Yesterday it happens again :?
This time I remembered that a friend of main told me the other day that cloves helps her sister.
Yes ! (Cloves) the herb
I put the powder cloves in a piece of "gauze" and covered it and make my self took shots of smell ;)
It helps me like MAGIC
Today i google cloves but find not a bout helping in MIGRAIN so forgive me for the unsure information But it happens with me.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:15 PM
dd

Cloves - I was told to suck on them or chew the. The whole cloves. I don't like cloved and leave them out of recipes so I never tried that. Glad it worked for you.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie
relpax is the only answer dfor me, works like a charm
Same for me. This stuff was a huge relief. I also keep Reglan on hand for the nausea that I get.

But if you get more than 2 migraines in a 2 week time frame you have to have a back up to the Relpax. You can't take it more than that.

Oh and I AVOID like the plague anything with MSG in it. It is a huge migraine trigger for me.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:37 AM

I've been taking Inderal LA since I was 35. It is a beta blocker and keeps my blood pressure in check but the best benefit is no more migraines!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

there is a guy from Australia walking the length of the Mississippi here and he gets migraines. I'd so hate that! I've only had one or two and don't ever want another!!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:00 AM

Used to have migraines bad.....tried everything....it helped when I put my head under the faucet with the hottest water on...kept eating journals, weather journals, nothing ever made rhyme or reason. I honestly think it was all hormonal......since I've got through menopause I haven't had a migraine in years...but then again, I got a divorce about the time they ended...just sayin that stress might of been a factor !