Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need help on having a lasting and happy marriage!  How do you do it? >

Need help on having a lasting and happy marriage! How do you do it?

Need help on having a lasting and happy marriage! How do you do it?

Old 07-16-2011, 02:03 PM

A three-fold cord is not easily broken. Put God in the middle of your relationship and He will lead you through anything that comes up.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:48 PM

Communication is important, for everything in your life together: each other, finances, work, etc. It helps build the trust because each knows what is going on in your lives. Try not to go to bed being angry - try to dicuss issues first and try to see both sides.

Enjoy each other and try to take some interest in each other's hobbies, even if they are not shared completely.

Agree with date night each week, with or without children. Make it a decompression time for each. If there are kids, maybe give each other a small amount of personal time to unwind each day, if possible.

I just realized you are also a military wife (take care of yourself as well). If he goes on deployment, it's nice that there is now Skype, Facetime (for Mac), and email to keep in touch as well, if possible.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:55 PM

Hi, Monday is our 63 Aniv. We got married while in college,going at nite because there were no programs to finance your way, this way it just took a little longer and we had no student loans to pay off. Wed were both young and were luck enough to grow up together. Important thing is to keep talking to each other. Don't fight over little things that wouldn't make a difference next month. Remember, nobody is perfect. Also you are two individuals, so don't assume you think alike. We still talk and enjoy each others company. Anne:)
Old 07-16-2011, 04:15 PM

Congrats on 63 years Anne T.

48 years for us and I would have to say we have been just plain lucky!!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 04:32 PM

If you are still married when you are in your 40s pretend to not hear what he is saying sometimes. By that time, you know what's coming and can start walking away just in time.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:46 PM

lol!!
Old 07-16-2011, 04:50 PM

I agree that laughter helps all things. We have been married 52 years and I think that one of the things we help is to remember that if it wasn't important to be perfect before you got married, don't fret over imperfections if you are still treated as a Queen. Best wishes on your contiinueing path. By the way I was 17 when I got married so I was young too.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:56 PM

My husband and I will be married 40 years tomorrow. I still remember, very clearly, walking down the aisle and thinking.....what am I doing here?? this is forever!!!... I was 18 and my husband was 24. It never occurred to me that I could just divorce him if times got tough. I was in it for the long haul. I was very lucky. He is the best thing that ever happened to me and I thank my lucky stars every day. I don't have any advice for you. I think it is perseverance and a lot of luck maybe.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:06 PM

Dear Lovin,
I have been married 53 yrs. now.
#1. Talk things out with your hubby.
#2. Marriage is the hardest job you will have and you both have to work at it.
#3. There are times you will give 90% and hubby will give 10%.
and other times it's you giving 10% and hubby given 90%.
#4. Always be faithful and have faith in Gods will.
Dusty
Old 07-16-2011, 05:16 PM

My husband and I will celebrate our 54th in February. The only advice I can give is to stop and think when you are about to argue if it really is worth the time and energy to fight over and is it really that important to you. That was the hardest thing for me to learn. Learning to live together is covered by two things. You have to LIKE you spouse as well as love them. You cannot expect to love and treasure a person you wouldn't have as a friend. Many happy years to you both. There will be many bumps in the road but they will smooth out and the good times will return.