Please Be careful!

Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 AM

Default Fons and Porter

Originally Posted by diamondee View Post
I just registered for a magazine subscription "love of quilting" last night. This morning we started to get calls from MRSI 513-562-1300 which is a tele-marketing Co. based out of Ohio. So someone is getting/selling personal info. They claim they are exempt from the do not call list because they are not selling anything, but then will sell your phone number to others. I do not use my number most times but if I remember correctly, you HAD to leave a number when subscribing.
Did you advise Fons and Porter? They may be interested that this is happening when ordering their magazine!!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:36 AM

There have been many threads on this board about fons and porter marketing ploys, particularly the unasked for dvd.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:40 AM

People who really have a reason to be calling you will leave a message. So, if we don't recognize the number, we let it go to voice mail. Occasionally, DH will answer the phone but just leave it sitting on the table for a bit before hanging up...
Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 AM

My DD has a land line for her alarm company, but turns the ringer off and never uses that phone. This is the number she gives out if someone whom she doesn't want to receive calls requests/requires a number. Like others, I just ignore calls from numbers I don't recognize. I agree that Caller ID is AWESOME!
Old 03-03-2014, 12:27 PM

My friend told us that when he got a call, he answered and immediately started a conversation. How are you? How's the wife and kids? How's the weather, etc. Finally the caller hangs up on him and he said they never call back.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

I think I read that Fons and Porter publications were sold to the same company that has Reader's Digest. Fons and Porter are only figure heads, have no say so over the publishing company.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:27 PM

try giving your area code, then 555-1212. I was told that robo calling was illegal and you should
report them to FCC.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:04 PM

I just had a call about a half hour ago for saving money on my electric bill. Ok, I'll play along.
Can I speak to the person in charge of paying the electric bill?
Speaking
Blah blah blah need some info to see if you qualify. Do you belong (or signed up or something) to PIP?
What's that?
Something about some government help for lower income.
Hey, how do I sign up for that? I pay the bills, but I have no income, so I have to get money from my husband and Lord, the things I have to do to get that money. He expects me to cook his dinner, wash his clothes, go to the mailbox not only in the am for the paper, but again around noon to get the mail! I do...

Whoever it was hung up. The nerve!

If I'm not doing anything, and just sitting here, I answer. If it's a real person, I talk. If it's a recording I wait until instructed to press some number to talk to a real person, and I do. Then I just set the phone down and wait for the signal that the call has ended. It they're going to waste someone's time, I'm going to waste theirs and help keep someone employed.

I need a life. Wait a minute, this one's not bad