Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
42 bolts of fabric... >

42 bolts of fabric...

42 bolts of fabric...

Old 03-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the pats on my back. I really do love my customers. I know the regulars, know when they have not been in for a while, know what fabrics some of them look for and point them out if we get knew ones in they will like. I try to always ask what they are making with the fabric they are buying. Often they ask for help in figuring out how much fabric they will need. (Most of the other workers in the dept, except for one who is now in a different dept would not have a clue how to figure yardage out. ) Our own dept mgr doesn't have a clue.

If they are buying fleece for the tie blankets I ask if they know how to make them, and will show them how, plus show them my trick with needle nose pliers that will save their fingers.

I really get excited when someone comes in and says they don't know how to sew/quilt! I've sold more than one sewing machine that way! I've had people come in for needle and thread, and sold them a sewing machine! LOL

And to think 3 years ago when I started working in that depart I remember asking my then manager, "How do you tell one fabric from another and how is the world do you know where each bolt goes?" Her reply? "You'll learn." LOL

I think I've learned. That and more.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie

Last edited by patricej; 03-31-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:46 PM

Phyllis, you are a gem, I started at WM in "09 and wanted to work in the fabric dept. but they were building a new superstore and low and behold they got rid of the fabric and I had to to a cashier. I was hoping that we would be bringing fabric back but the word is no. Keep having fun while you can
Old 03-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

I really loved my three years in the fabric department at Wal Mart until they took our department out. We only have precuts now and I hate it. I had so much fun helping the quilters select coordinating fabrics for their quilts. When we did have a fabric department, everyone in surrounding departments were schooled on cutting fabric correctly also. So glad you enjoy your job. I know I did.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:33 AM

No fabric at this WM I am so thankful I still have a full time job! Thank You, LORD!
Old 03-31-2012, 10:35 AM

Thanks for being there!! We quilters really appreciate you.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:19 PM

Phyllis, I worked in a WM fabric department for 5 years and I loved my job there. I had sewed for a long time and just loved cutting fabric and discussing what a customer had planned. I too had to work with people in my department that didn't know much about fabric and didn't care. I know myself, when I go and spend a lot of money on fabric in a quilt shop, I want to leave that shop feeling happy with my shopping experience and that is how I tried to treat my customers. Good for you to have such good customer service and I am sure the customers like to have you wait on them.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:26 PM
QM
Power Poster

Even I have never done that many pieces!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:01 AM

omgoodness! that could have been me! i picked up a ton of fabric and patterns for little outfits for my dgd! it took more than a half hour for her to cut it for me! she is a sweetie, and we had a fun time visiting. i asked her to stop mine twice so she could cut for customers that had only one or two fabrics. no need for them to be delayed by my insanity! LOL
Old 04-02-2012, 03:04 AM

I think I wouldve been in heaven .not only cutting the fab but talking >>
Old 04-02-2012, 06:18 AM

I wish you worked at my Wal-Mart. A lady and I wanted fabric yesterday. No one was in ths dept. She hit the bell 5 times and no one came. I went to tell someone in the photo dept that we needed fabric cut. I told a lady there. Waited and waited and no one ever came.We both left without fabric. It was a Sunday and busy. Why did they not want to help us?