Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Go! Fabric Cutter - Questions about Accu Quilt >

Go! Fabric Cutter - Questions about Accu Quilt

Go! Fabric Cutter - Questions about Accu Quilt

Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 PM

Thank for the suggestion quiltingeileen, Ironically my sister-in-law recently purchased a Janome after having a faithful Viking for decades. She loves her new machine. I'll email her to find out the model. One quilter suggested I stay with my current machine to see if we can become "friends," and think that is a good suggestion for now. In the past, have traded or gifted a family member with old faithfuls that I still miss! Wishing you Happy Quilting Days! Smiles, Snowrose
Old 12-27-2013, 03:49 PM

Dear misseva, Your comments are good for consideration. See that it would be important to try turning the crank before purchasing one of the fabric cutters. Thank you for the suggestion. Happy quilting! Smiles, Snowrose
Old 12-27-2013, 04:26 PM

I love my Go and use it mostly to cut 6 1/2" & 8" blocks as well as 2 1/2 strips. I have several other dies and I am sure I will use them as I get more into cutting fabric for my "bucket list" of quilts I want to make for my grandchildren, GGC, nieces and nephews.
Shop for prices. I just happened to get mine at a garage sale and it was new. I have gotten all my dies on sale at various places.
Also, always starch (I use Best Press.) and press before cutting with the Go. It really helps the shapes to be accurate, especially when cutting strips.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:30 PM

I got the Go from DH for Christmas. I, er DH, LOL, bought it on-line from sewforless.com, based on a reccomendation from someone here on QB $199. I also bought the 2.5" strip cutter. The newest model of Go! says it is a 'smoother' roller action. It's the box w/Ricky & Alex's picture on it. I've only used it a couple times so far and it didn't seem difficult to turn at all.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by snowrose View Post
Good Morning quiltingcandy,

Thank you so much for the detailed information and encouragement. Since I last quilted have experienced three hand surgeries and believe owning a Go Cutter would ease the cutting preparation for quilting. It has been too long since I've created with fabric, and ready to resume that connection. Look forward to "seeing" you online. Happy Quilting! Smiles, snowrose
Snowrose, I have the Accuquilt GO and love it. I have not had it for long. It's expensive with the dies, but saves time and work. BTW, you asked what dies to get at the start. There is an entire set of dies for 12 inch blocks. I recommend that set. They all work together. I got them and don't regret it. You can do a lot with those. Look around the internet as sometimes they are on sale. You can get good information on accuquilt.com but not necessarily the best prices. Other places are sewforless.com, nancysnotions.com, allbrands.com, joann.com, and more.

Just be sure, especially given your hand surgery, that you look for the new cutter in the box with pictures of Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims on it. This is important because Accuquilt redid the handle and, specifically, ball bearings in that one and it is much easier to use.

Cricket
Old 12-27-2013, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by snowrose View Post
Hi!

My current sewing machine is more machine than I want or need and eventually will consider a replacement, so will be curious to know if you have suggestions about a good all purpose-quilting machine without embroidery attachments.

Snowrose, I have used and tested many machines (well over 100; I am a sewing machine mechanic) for piecing, straight-line quilting, and free-motion quilting (fmq). I have 30 machines in my herd now, some computerized, many vintage. The one I would recommend for all three functions, above all other machines, is the Singer 301. It does each job and does it reliably and beautifully. The machine is bullet proof so long as you oil it every 8 hours of sewing and keep it clean. We have threads on this site that talk about favorite quilting machines, and the Singer 301 is often mentioned. You can get one for maybe $20 to $250 or so. If you have or can get a cabinet and cradle for it, get the short bed; else, get the long bed portable. It comes in black, mocha, and two-tone. It weighs 16 pounds and is great for taking to classes, too. It will last forever as it is made of metal. Mine handles literally any thread (except YLI). It is mechanical, not computerized. The Singer 301 is straight stitch only. If I could keep only one machine for quilting, that is the machine.

My second choice might be the Janome 8900, which I don't yet have. It has 11 inches of harp space and everyone I've heard of that has one -- they are new -- loves it. It costs 10 times or more than the 301 and has lots of fancy stitches. I've used the Janome 7700 and had a lot of trouble with it; I mention it because it also has an 11 inch harp.

Cricket

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 12-27-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
When I first got my Go it was so new not many had an idea what it was. My guild members thought I was nuts paying so much for it. I demoed it at one of our meetings and wish I hadn't. It wasn't long when members started asking me to bring it to guild to cut fabric and then members were asking to borrow it to take home. The mats were being worn out before I got much use from them. No one thought to buy mats when using it. I don't mind sharing what I have but I do not appreciate the thought that 'why buy one when I can use yours' comes into play.
BellaBoo, I saw your warning on another thread before I purchased my GO and, therefore, only one quilting friend knows I have it. I don't mind if she comes over and uses it. Thank you for telling us of your experience.

Cricket
Old 12-27-2013, 09:42 PM

I love my GO too. I used the large rag quilt die to make jean quilts for my sons. It was much easier than cutting & snipping the blocks. I also use the 2 1/2" strip die a lot.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:16 PM

Hi Nappy, Oh, I love that idea. I have saved my husband's jeans and some flannels thinking I would make bears with them, but small pillows or lap quilts would be terrific and so practical. Your idea is terrific! Thank you! Smiles, Snowrose
Old 12-27-2013, 10:19 PM

Oh, this is an awkward situation, and do appreciate the "heads up." Any chance new boundaries can be set? Sending smiles, Snowrose