Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hiding Fabric Purchases >
  • Hiding Fabric Purchases

• Hiding Fabric Purchases

Old 08-04-2011, 11:51 AM

I am lucky...don't have to hide fabric because quilting is a business for me. I have my own bank account and spend the money as I please. But, I have been there and done that before starting my business;)
    Old 08-04-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen
    . His is in the woods and pond on the course!!!
    ROFLMBO! got great chuckle out of this comment..
    I use to tell my hubby, he use to smoke..
    When he would make a comment about anything I bought. I just looked at him and say, don't say anything, I dont smoke my money away and I have things to show for what I do spend..All you get is a bad cough and get sick easily during the winter months, now I can't say that finally after 37 years of marriage he finally listen to me and quit and I'm so proud of him!

Also my husband hunts gun and bow! and his guns and bow hobby are a lot more in cost than the little bit of fabric I buy!
    Old 08-04-2011, 11:57 AM

it was not a matter of trust for tim and i, we are long divorced now, it was i never seemed to have the right shade of purple. he was a supportive kinda guy with my fiber arts business, it was the fabric, i became ashamed that i required every shade of purple available, now i can laugh about it, and i suspect he can too, i am a very old woman, but still looking for the right shade of violet, purple, or whatever, i hope i did not offend you in any way
    jan in palatka
    Old 08-04-2011, 12:25 PM

Oh I know how you feel!
    Old 08-04-2011, 12:25 PM

How in the world did your DH get interested in LAing? My DH is retired but I am still working and making quilts on weekends and evenings. It would be a blessing if he would be interested in LAing !!
    Old 08-04-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB
    Now that my DH is also using the long arm, he encourages fabric purchases. :0)
    How did your DH become interested in LAing? My DH encourages my quilting but I still work full time. If my retired and quite handy DH would take up LAing, it would be a blessing and supply us with extra income.
    Old 08-04-2011, 12:34 PM

Well do not really hide it from him. I just do not tell him.
    Old 08-04-2011, 12:35 PM

I never hide my purchases from my husband. He just teases me about the amount of fabric I have (a whole room full of plastic tubs). I tell him it is for when I retire and can't afford to buy fabric. Sounded like a good excuse to me, so I am sticking to it. LOL
    Old 08-04-2011, 12:36 PM

My husband doesn't have a hobby except working and he has a backhoe, tractor, sawmill, wood shop, mechanic shop with bridgecrain, etc, etc, you get the picture? But I have to hide what I buy if I don't want to get in an argument. His purchases, etc. are to make a living, mine and my work are just playthings!!!!
    Old 08-04-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by LeeJay
    My husband is very supportive of my quilting hobby, thinks my quilts are beautiful and often helps me decide colors and placement, etc. When I have purchased fabric, I leave the bag in the trunk of my car. This is not about money spent; I spend money as I please and he has no problem, with the exception that when it involves an expensive item (fancy sewing machine), we always talk it over before purchasing. His problem with my fabric purchases is a matter of my already having a three lifetime supply, and my sewing room is beginning to have a very cluttered look. I understand his thinking, and I often feel guilty, but the devil eggs me on to make "just one" more purchase. Guess I am truly hooked, and if leaving my pkgs in the trunk until the coast is clear helps to keep the peace, so be it!!
    Amen to that. I just don't want to hear: "Oh, just what we need - more fabric". That is why I bring my packages in when he is not around. I sneak the fabric in, but it is in plain view in my sewing room. If he notices and asks, I tell him.