Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hiding Fabric Purchases >
  • Hiding Fabric Purchases

• Hiding Fabric Purchases

Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 AM

I have the opposite problem, DH wants me to buy more. He thinks it is cool I have a new hobby. And being a mechanic he thinks I need more "tools". I guess if I had a major stash I'd get the "eye-roll", at this point there are only about six undone projects. lol!
    Old 08-04-2011, 10:43 AM

Honestly, I have been married for 41 years and my husband and I don't hide things from each other. He knows I buy way too much fabric and I know he buys way too many tools. I show him what I buy and he shows me. He doesn't get mad and I don't either. We each have our hobby and yes, it's his money I am spending since I don't work outside the home. If he tells me no more fabric, I won't buy any more, and the same with his tools. I think it is much better to be open and honest with each other. Like my friend said, If you hide fabric, what else will you hide??
    Old 08-04-2011, 10:49 AM

With my huge stash, I'm surprised my hubby doesn't say a word. But I do feel guilty. LOL I ran into a woman at a fabric store and she was with her mother. Somehow the conversation started and she admitted that she had so much fabric at her home that she has been using her mother's home for more of her stash. And her mother quipped in, "there's no more room in my house for anymore of her daughter's fabric now." Now that's a LOT of fabric.
    Old 08-04-2011, 10:52 AM

I don't hide it either but I don't think he even notices anymore.
    He buys what he wants too. Honestly after 34 years I sometimes don't notice or remember If he has shown me or not.
    Oh well whatever floats your boat.
    But I too love getting fabric in the mail too it is exciting. Just ordered some from Connecting Threads.
    Old 08-04-2011, 10:52 AM

I don't hide it either but I don't think he even notices anymore.
    He buys what he wants too. Honestly after 34 years I sometimes don't notice or remember If he has shown me or not.
    Oh well whatever floats your boat.
    But I too love getting fabric in the mail too it is exciting. Just ordered some from Connecting Threads.
    Old 08-04-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Patchesnposies
    In my first marriage I had a husband who would check the grocery store receipt to make sure I hadn't "snuck" anything. I was young and had a lot of childhood baggage that made me feel worthless, so I acted like I was of little worth.

After about 10 years, I had grown enough to realize that I was of GREAT worth and deserved better than a life of coerced servitude and being constantly made to feel inferior. So I divorced him....and, surprise, I didn't crash and burn like he always told me I would if I left him...in fact I raised my three kids on my own by starting my own business cleaning houses while I went to college.

Eventually met and married the man of my dreams (though I had told myself there wasn't a man out there worth giving up my freedom for!)who is the love of my life.

I never have to hide anything from him and he encourages every one of my hearts desires. If I have an interest he pushes me to pursue it.

I still struggle with feeling unworthy (but it definitely does not come from him.....it's those old tapes in my head)when I buy something that is all for me.

I am so grateful to married to my husband....it is like my life did not truly begin until I met him, he is my best friend.

Bravo!!!!
    Old 08-04-2011, 10:57 AM

Don't know if this has been said yes, but as I raise my hand to say "yes I hide the fabric" (whatever it says for the state of my marriage) - I also hide the beads, dolls, yarn.............My favorite way used to be to have it delivered via mail to my best friend. Unfortunately I say "used to" because she passed away suddenly (and young).
    Old 08-04-2011, 11:07 AM

I took the "sneaking" light-heartedly. My husband's never complained to me about what I buy. He knows I've had different hobbies and he respects them. He also knows I can go overboard. If I feel sheepish bringing new fabric into the house, or getting it in the mail, it's because I think I should be doing more than I do with it. He's a practical man, but he also has his collections: hammers, washers, nuts, bolts, nails galore, screws to beat the band, pieces of lumber. Then there are the pieces of hosing, numerous hose nozzles, string, rope, twine, rubber tubing, etc. I know some of these tools are needed to repair, but a lot of it is stashing. So, we go about our "dances" but we're still in love with each other. Lighten up everyone!
    Old 08-04-2011, 11:08 AM

Years ago, when I first started quilting, I was building a stash, because all my friends said that is what we do. After a while I was frustrated that I had lots of fabric, and nothing seemed to fit what I was making. So, my DH said: "when you want to make a quilt, go buy what you need, plus a little extra, and you can have all you want, and not end up with stuff that doesn't match or fit in." So, that is what I have done since. He doesn't care how much I buy, but I hate to see fabric sitting around waiting to be used. Do I have a stash? Yeah, I do, but I would sure like to use it all before I die so it doesn't go into a sale somewhere. Mine is destined to benefit charities through my guild if it outlives me. I agree with the one who said, I would not stay in a relationship where I had to hide stuff, or lie to my husband. Honesty is the best policy. (In all life)
    Old 08-04-2011, 11:17 AM

I have mine delivered to my office :lol: I guess, deep down, I feel guilty buying stuff ... but not enough that I will quit LOL. I truly don't go overboard. On one hand, DH seems jealous sometimes of the time I spend with my sewing machine :roll: He also seems jealous because I love to read :roll: I either sew or read while he watches TV so I really don't see the big deal. I really just don't watch that much TV. On the other hand, when a friend of ours was diagnosed with cancer and they were having a fundraiser, he asked me if I had a quilt I could donate ... so he's proud of my hobby too. I guess I try not to rub his nose into it though.