Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
High Praise Indeed! >

High Praise Indeed!

High Praise Indeed!

Old 12-11-2010, 09:20 PM

I was a single divorced Mom raising my two young children alone. They went to their fathers for visitation during the summer as we lived in MD and he lived in MA. Anyway I asked my daughter who was around 8 at the time why when she went to her Dad's she was on her best behavior for him and when home with me I got the the mouthy butt-head who always argued and wouldn't do as she was told? Her answer...."Cause I know you will love me no matter what".
Old 12-12-2010, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Mine was when I gave my grandson a quilt for his third birthday. He opened it up and said, "A Blankey!" He grabbed it, still folded up, and went up the stairs to his bedroom, leaving all the party guests and other presents. I followed him upstairs and into his bedroom where he was trying to lay the quilt out on his bed.

I helped him lay it on his bed and then he kneeled on it and started naming the animals.

He wants that quilt at home and at daycare and says, "Mamaw made me."

My heart swells with joy and love to think of it. :XD:

edited to add... I thought it was a question just about quilting but I see the other replies!!! :-D
THAT HAS BOUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES.....♥ Now just waiting for my daughters to have children - hopefully another 6 or so more years yet as they only 25, 23, 19
Old 12-12-2010, 12:05 AM

I've had a few of those precious moments!

The first is when my then teenage son told me "I love the way you yell at me! You never put me down, but always say I am smarter than that or why would such a bright kid do such a dumb thing!" because his girlfriend's parents told her she was useless, stupid, and would never be anything.

Another is when my future daughter in law's mom sent me a letter. I couldn't attend the bridal shower (across the country) and at the time, I had been out of work and I was broke. So, I wrote a poem, put it on nice paper, that basically said "He is yours now, take care of my baby" and it was on the first page of the photo album I made of him through the years (not a scrap book). Her mom said it stopped the shower cold, everyone gathered to view all the pictures, and her daughter was in tears. She had never seen such a gift do such a thing and she thought I was amazing to think of it. I was so happy to hear that.

Lastly it was my nephew who helped me make patches for many quilts when I did daycare for the family. He asked me to make him a quilt and I let him pick out his focus fabric. I gave it to him on Thanksgiving day and the whole family was around. He spread it out carefully, made sure there were no wrinkles, stared at it for a minute, then jumped onto it yelling "I love it! I love it!" Sewing for others can't get better than that!

Same nephew also told me that if his mom married his older brother he would marry me cuz I was smart and fun.

Diane
Old 12-12-2010, 12:17 AM

After having 2 boys, now have 3 Grandaughters - the 16 yr old said 'I want ALL YOUR QUILTS When you die'. To me, that was the highest compliment.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:26 AM

i have a few of these moments also, but the one i remember most happened to someone else. when my son was about 5 years old we went to visit my father and his wife (they married just after my son was born). she mentioned that she had quit smoking because during the previous visit my son had told her "grandma you shouldn't smoke because you can die from it". she never did smoke again.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:58 AM

I had one yesterday. My 30 year old DD said, "Gee I'm glad you're not a typical middle aged mum."

Not quite sure what she meant - but I will take it as a compliment.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:57 AM

Mine was when my oldest son(48) called me from Georgia and when I answered, he said, "Mom I am sorry!" and I said, for what? his reply was for being me! You always said you "hoped I got one just like me" and now I have one and I am saying that to her now and I realize why you used to say that. "I am sorry!" :D Jan
Old 12-12-2010, 09:02 AM

:: reading all the posts.. sniff..sniff :: holy crap, my sons right..I am completely mushy haha

I always melt inside when I have not seen my son for a while and he picks me up in a bear hug and automatically converts back to calling me "mommy" I missed you lol..And even at the age of 24 he still calls home for advice..From a job promotion to how to cook something. Which to me is a compliment in itself..
As for a quilting moment.. The first quilt I made I kept for myself (lil laugh)..However, this Christmas everyone is getting something I made..My DH is soooo sentimental by nature...He wanted a camo quilt, nothing special in pattern etc.. But, him and his brother (whom just passed away) loved snoopy...I made a label/ tag for the quilt that will border a sleeping snoopy applique..Now he will forever have something that will remind him of his brother and myself..
I haven't been this excited about a christmas in a long while lol
Old 12-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

When my middle son looks at me and says Mom I love you. I want to give you a hug because we don't do that often enough.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh that makes me feel so good and so loved.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

This is not to do with quilting, but my entire family has given me the reputation of the best soup maker. One day when I was teaching my 11 year old grandson (Now 26) to make turkey noodle soup from the Thanksgiving carcass, he looked up at me and said, "Granny, you could put Cambells out of business". That was my moment.