Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How many machines do you have?

I have 4 machines and a serger. 3 of my machines are Kenmore brand. I have a 1970s model that I bought off of Craigslist that I keep around because it will sew through anything! I have a mechanical Kenmore from 2003 that I haven't touched in quite a while and a computerized Kenmore from 2008 that I use for piecing and sewing things that need a free arm. My 4th machine is a Janome 6600. I use it mostly for quilting. I love all of them for different reasons, so I don't see myself getting rid of any of them anytime soon. I promised my DH that I wouldn't buy any more machines without selling one I already have. That won't happen until I look into a longarm in a few years!
    I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. - Michael J. Fox

I have 5 sewing machines 1 serger. I my baby lock symphony is my main machine. I use my brother sq9000 as a back up and to teach my friends that have been interested in sewing. I also have 3 vintage Singers that I don't currently use but I am slowly cleaning them up and getting them in working order. My grandma gave me her baby lock Imagine serger and I am trying to learn to use it! I am looking at buying an embroidery machine hopefully at the end of the year.
    Brother SQ9000, Baby Lock Crescendo

Slowly but surely restoring these lovely machines...
    Singer 66 (1929) Singer 27 treadle (1909) Singer 99 (1925)

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Reading this thread I can't tell if we're bragging, complaining, inventorying, one-upping, hungering, or just plain nuts!!!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I have a Janome 7700, a Janome 3160 that I use for travel, a Brother PQ-1500s that I love the straight stitch on. I also have a Brother serger that is about 17 years old and still going strong. I also have about a 6 month old HandiQuilter Sweet Sixteen for quilting.
    - Rose

I feel deprived after reading about all the machines some of you have! Mine are:

1972 Kenmore (work horse)
    2002 Kenmore (made by Janome)
    Janome 6600P
    Janome 350E embroidery machine

I was a firm believer of only having one sewing machine...I mean why would you need more than one? Then a little Janome Gold spoke to me....and I had to have it. Now a featherweight is whispering in my ear so I imagine when I find a good deal on one of those, you know what will happen. Oh well. LOL

I have a Bernina 1230, a Bernina 180 with Embroidery unit (which I never use), a Brother quilting machine, a serger (that I never use-waiting to hear from my niece if she wants it or not), and a featherweight that was my grandma's. I also have several toy sewing machines including a Betsy Ross machine that was my mom's. Guess that makes 5 usable machines.

The Antique and Vintage machine folks have Many! Some are to sew on, some are to admire, and others are for rehabbing someday. I have a Brother CS6000i and 1970's Sears Kenmore with cams for everyday, plus 3 white and 1 black FWs. A few vintage machines- electric Singers, an Elna Supermatic, Montgomery Wards, Kenmores. Then there are the collectibles- 2 Wilcox and Gibbs, 2 Howes, a German Fischer Mewa Koma, 2 treadle parlor cabinets, 2 pheasant decal Singers, and a boatload of various machines in treadles that were "rescued", waiting for "someday" to get them fixed up and to new homes. I'll never live that long, so need to start the winnowing process. I never caught the modern machine bug- thankfully! I was better off when I "collected" fabric, which I am now actually using.

Blog Entries
    I have 4 Pfaff 7570's 4 signer featherweights, one Pfaff 2056, one Pfaff 947 hobbymatic, a Nolting 14, and a Pfaff serger coverlock, so 12 machines, I use, and have 2 Wilcox & Gibbs 1890's that I do not use, they do sit on shelf.
    dare to dream

I have a Bernina, Janome, 1952 Featherweight, Redeye and an 1865 hand crank. I used to have more, but gave one to each of my daughters, and one to each of my 3 granddaughters.

Learned to sew on my mom's Blue Grass and her Singer 301
    Singer 404 (my first machine)
    White portable
    White heavy duty school machine (use it for quilting -- SID and cross-hatching)
    Janome MC4000 (piecing and general sewing)
    Singer treadle (not operational)
    Janome serger
    Hope I get my mom's Singer 301
    Last edited by GailG; 06-23-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    One step at a time, always forward.

1. Singer treadle in a gorgeous cabinet- was my grandmother's machine...she passed in 1976
    2. Viking Lily- purchased used about 15 years ago- has a nice stitch and very user friendly
    3. Viking Rose- was my MIL's machine- the week before she died, her kids needed to quickly turn her sewing room into the room for the hospital bed. Her sewing machine in it's beautiful horn cabinet was being banished to the barn. Yikes! I suggested to DH that they bring it to our house instead. Someday our youngest DD will take it. Actually, I am not impressed with that machine but I surely do LOVE that Horn cabinet.
    4. My Viking Ruby- purchased new in Dec. Love this machine!
    5. A serger- given to me several years ago by a friend before she passed away. Never use it...it smokes and smells terrible when using it. Someday, it will go away and I will get a new serger.

I am enjoying learning to embroider with my Ruby. I like that I can start an embroidery project on my Ruby and then go ahead and sew on another project with my Lily. The Rose and serger are taking up space on the floor of my closet and my treadle machine is downstairs in a bedroom. I never have tried to use it. To be honest, I would not acquire machines just to be able to say that I have them. Someday, I do intend to get a long arm machine so I won't have to send my quilts out anymore. And, if I ever come across a featherweight at the right cost, I might be tempted to get it.

I have 15 (I think; some are stored in a dark area so I may have more....: Gammill longarm, Janome 6600P, Husqvarna Platinum, (2) Singer 128 treadles, a FW, a 301, Japanese 99 Clone, Singer Futura, Singer Athena 2010 (oldie but goodie), Bernina 1008 (main machine until it got hurt on the job....; Singer Quilter, Baby Lock serger, Singer 66 and Singer 99; I really thought I had more than that so I may have left some off. Oh well...and they are all working except one of the treadles. I'm working on the Futura embroidery one right now because it's acting up....but in general, it's been a good machine as well. When I started on this Board, I think I had 3...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    Never counted.... Let's see: Viking Diamond, Viking SE, Viking Designer I, 2 old treadles, Kenmore I got for HS graduation, my Mom's Kenmore from the 40's, and a Singer 90 clone, and a Tin Lizzie long arm. I use the Diamond for sewing and piecing, the SE for embroidery and as a back up, the Designer I is visiting my niece, the treadles (which I'm not even sure how I ended up with them) and the kenmores are not used. I wanted to get a gathering shirring foot for my Vikings. $90! I got the singer clone for $12, with the foot, so now I have a dedicated gatherer. Anyway that makes 9 counting the longarm
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I own 2 Babylocks, Audrey and Melody, a Babylock serger, Lauren and my Babylock Spirit, embroidery only. I love love my machines and they are so user friendly. Good luck in your search and test drive them, its whats going to make you happy that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever View Post
    I own 2 Babylocks, Audrey and Melody, a Babylock serger, Lauren and my Babylock Spirit, embroidery only. I love love my machines and they are so user friendly. Good luck in your search and test drive them, its whats going to make you happy that counts.
    quiltnut4ever, what is your opinion of the Baby Lock Spirit? Please share information on it and what you like best. Thank you!

1942 Singer Treadle in almost perfect condition.
    1945 Singer in a bent wood case, beautiful.
    1977 Singer standard. ( this one is my first sewing machine, and it still works great )
    2009 Husqvarna viking Platinum 955 E with embroidery module and 5D extra plus software
    2010 Husqvarna viking 936 huskylock serger
    2011 Bernina 280 with all the extras (the machine I take to classes and seminars)
    2013 Juki longarm on a 12 foot frame.
    2012 Grace Z44 Pro hand quilting frame ( king size )
    Total Machines = 6

Over the years I have had some others too, but sold them or gave them away.

Steve

I have a babylock quilters choice. I would like to eventually get a midarm. I want to FMQ like on a DSM but with a lot more harp space... Nothing fancy. I will get one eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Reading this thread I can't tell if we're bragging, complaining, inventorying, one-upping, hungering, or just plain nuts!!!

Jan in VA
    Haha Jan, I vote for the latter...I have an older Juki 98 that I love. It's heavyweight stability, and perfect straight stitch is perfect.. Want a newer model though.. Have Janome LE2007DC for zig zag. etc. when needed..Have never had a moment of trouble.. Love the Janome line...Sold the Singer 403 that I bought after reading this board..Great machine, BUT I really love the new machine conveniences....Self threading, auto thread cut, plus so much more...Makes life easier...
    PFAFF serger, that I recently learned to thread. A small Janome ( Harmony 2039) that I'm giving to my DIL to do basic stuff... Bought to take to class, but never went..but even that one threads itself....

Blog Entries
    I have a dinosaur Brother that still works great, and a Singer Futura.

Blog Entries
    I have only been quilting about a year and love an old Pfaff that I inherited about 15 years ago but never took the opportunity to use it until I started quilting in November 2011... then I bought a new Janome 6600 and, once again, fell in love (especially with all of the new features). I also have a JC Penney machine that I bought when I moved out of my parents' house when I was nineteen. I used to sew costumes and crafts on it when my boys were young... I think it still works.

Until I get a long arm, I don't think I need another machine...

I have the following.. Bernina 153, Bernina 440, Bernina 530, and a Bernina Serger. I also have a Bailey's 19 Long Arm. I also have a Janome which I let my gd take with her to college.
    sandysews

A merry heart doth good like a medicine.

Wisdom is too high for a fool.

I have you all beat : ) as I have not one sewing machine.

Let me explain.

I had a Babylock Quest, and got such a great deal on the Serenade that I put it on lay away. Then my hubby got in this horrible m/c accident, and at the same time I was making our daughters wedding dress. I got the dress done in time for the wedding, and finally dh was able to come home from rehab. I put my machine on Craigslist so I could get my new machine. Sold it in 1 day. But like a dummy I held off getting the machine out of lay away right away, as I was busy with dh and some of his medications have been over the top $$ wise. So now I am short the money for my new machine. But ... tis fine, things will smooth out soon I am hoping and I can go and get my new machine and start quilting again.
    Amythyst

Quote Originally Posted by SandySews View Post
    I have the following.. Bernina 153, Bernina 440, Bernina 530, and a Bernina Serger. I also have a Bailey's 19 Long Arm. I also have a Janome which I let my gd take with her to college.
    Do you like your Bailey's 19 Long Arm? Is it on a frame?

Haha, my name is Pam and I'm a (sewing) addict. I have a Sweet 16, 2 featherweights, a singer Athena (fairly new), an original Singer athena, a brother, a 1948 Singer 66, and probably half a dozen not fully functional sewing machines in the attic (which I need to get rid of or fix). Yeah, I have issues.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast