Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many WIP's Do YOU Have?  Be honest! >

How Many WIP's Do YOU Have? Be honest!

How Many WIP's Do YOU Have? Be honest!

Old 05-22-2008, 06:09 AM

I have 4 tops waiting for borders, 2 waiting for backing/quilting and two tops in progress. I don't usually complete the whole quilt - I complete the top and then give that away or sell it on e-bay to cover costs of my materials. I'm not sure I can consider myself a true "quilter" since I rarely complete them. I spend my days conducting forensic interviews of sexually and physically abused kids which leaves me with a head filled with horrible images - so I come home and put pieces of quilts together as therapy. I tried other hobbies but none of them required the concentration cutting and sewing all those pieces together does - so, for awhile I can ignore the pictures in my head or at least until I try to sleep. My goal for 2008 is to learn some FM quilting so I've been practicing that........maybe I'll even complete a full quilt and move onto "quilter" status. :)
Old 05-22-2008, 07:03 AM

WIP - depends on how you define it. technically just two, i guess. one is the glass bottom boat attic windows that needs to be in the mail next week to my brother. hmmm . . .

the other is a BOM throw that is sandwiched and needs quilted (it will be my first 'do it yourself quilting' quilt for a friend in the nursing home (better get busy on that one, too!)

but if you count blocks-of-the-month, i have two of those going, but can't finish them until the end of the BOM year.

but if you count 'planned' projects, well . . . that number is off the map! lots of things hanging in the 'closet' that are waiting for me to start! 10 monthly minis, 2 sweatshirts, three wall hangings, one grandma quilt (full size), one flannel rag quilt, one poinsettia wall hanging, and a pair of pj's (not really quilting, but they need completed!)

why am i sitting here reading? i should be in my room quilting!

:P :P
Old 05-22-2008, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by moonhoney2
I've only got one. My first. :lol:

I hope not to get where I have several in the works. With my scrapping, I am adamant about finishing a page before starting a new one. hopefully, I can do the same with this. *crosses fingers*

I just don't have the space to store too much stuff. My scrapbooking has taken up a huge chuck of my office. As it is, I'm struggling to find a small area to put a sewing table.
I'm a scrapbooker too, although with my quilting lately my scrapping has been put on the backburner til I get myself somewhat above water with my quilting projects! I have sooo much to do with my scrapping too!! I have a running list of stuff I want to do in that department too!! So have the fabric stash AND a scrapping stash... ooh mercy me!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by dreamdanzzer
I have 4 tops waiting for borders, 2 waiting for backing/quilting and two tops in progress. I don't usually complete the whole quilt - I complete the top and then give that away or sell it on e-bay to cover costs of my materials. I'm not sure I can consider myself a true "quilter" since I rarely complete them. I spend my days conducting forensic interviews of sexually and physically abused kids which leaves me with a head filled with horrible images - so I come home and put pieces of quilts together as therapy. I tried other hobbies but none of them required the concentration cutting and sewing all those pieces together does - so, for awhile I can ignore the pictures in my head or at least until I try to sleep. My goal for 2008 is to learn some FM quilting so I've been practicing that........maybe I'll even complete a full quilt and move onto "quilter" status. :)
oooh dreamdanzzer what a job to have. Yes I too would need a good stress reliever hobby to get my mind of the day's events too. I too find that quilting is my best stress reliever. My mind is constantly engrossed on my projects I'm working on and forever imagining what projects to add to the ever increasing WIP pile!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by imaquilter
yea, let's put it this way....I have 183 quilting projects....with fabric & pattern TOTAL (that does not include patterns that I have not bought fabric for). All of my WIP are included in that total.

So, I have enough projects to keep me busy well........the rest of my life and I am only 33.

I keep a running list of EVERYTHING I buy and will one day make and the stages they are in. I just looked and if you count the quilts to be "quilted", bindings to be put on and every project I ever started and put to the side.....I have........

That is disgusting! I try to keep track so I stay motivated but, sometimes it has the opposite effect and overwhelms me. I don't know where to begin and which of the 64 to start with. The one I like the most or the one that is the most completed or do I start the one that I just bought yesterday and really love right now? It's crazy!

I need help. :oops:
Okay.. so it seems I'm not the only one with that many WIPS.. although I haven't had a chance yet this morning to make a list as I have been busy working on various tenant relation issues, but I WILL start that list before the end of the day!
Old 05-22-2008, 07:21 AM

Yes feather i have to that are so bad......I did them when I first started....everything about them is bad.......they are going to good will..........I don'w want to have them connected to me lol
Old 05-22-2008, 07:56 AM

We had an UFO challenge in our quilt guild. I am like you I make tops. Unfortunately, I just started more projects than I finished.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 AM

Barbm: Good for you for tackling what I consider the impossible... obviously since I'm the one with almost a couple dozen unfinished projects I haven't found "my discipline!" :mrgreen:
Old 05-22-2008, 08:19 AM

Ruth...they can't be THAT bad...I've seen your work. If you just can't stand them, then donating them is a great way to get them out of your house and into the arms of someone who will love them. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:26 AM

Oh! Crap, you just had to ask that question, didn't you, Imaquilter? :lol: I have about 40 BIG Dresden Plate blocks that I started when I was about 24 years old...(I'm 62 now!)I must have thought the bigger the better or maybe I was trying to make something to cover 2 king-sized beds.Problem is, when I was 24 I don't think there was such a thing as a KING-Sized bed! I didn't count that project but I do plan to finish it. Also have a Garden Gate pattern that I started 35 years ago, too. You have to understand...I made my first crazy block quilt when I was 12 then I tried every decade thereafter but the quilt bug didn't "take" until I was about 55 so there are some old WIPS hidden in suitcases and bedroom closets that I didn't count when I went through my tubs the other day. :oops: