Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: looking for sympathy

If you didn't put it in the dryer then yes rewash and put it in the sun with lemon and salt. If you put it in the dryer sorry it's heated permanent. I think though it gives character and a cool effect.
    From the heart
    Nancy

Yes! Don't dry it if you have not done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
    Oh, dear. The only thing I can think of is possibly tossing it back into the wash with a couple of color catchers?
    Anna Quilts

You do have my sympathy as well. But look at the bright side, you have learned a valuable lesson about testing and pre-washing. I would also suggest finding a different source for fabric for all your wonderful projects in the future. I am not a fan of the quality of JoAnn's products. Like you I learned the hard way as well. Made a beautiful hand quilted sampler that faded horribly (with very little use as it is in a guest room) as well as the fabric literally coming apart in places. Additionally, I have read numerous horror stories here about their flannels. I prefer to only use them for notions, tools and specialty items like fusible interfacing. You can get wonderful flannels and quilt shop quality fabrics on line for a fraction of the price JA charges. Try www.thousandsofbolts.com. And for Synthropol, which you may have difficulty finding in your area, I highly recommend Dharma Trading Co. http://www.dharmatrading.com/topnav/chemicals/

Blog Entries
    One of the poblems with using the bleach on those areas is that the bleaching will weaken the threads, and you will find it wearing faster in those areas. Also it will continue to bleach as you wash it each time in the future. I have discovered that buying fabric at Joann's, especially their flannel, is not the smartest thing I have done. I usually wash their flannel at least 2 times, sometimes 3 to get the excess dyes out, and to get it well pre-shrunk. Sadly, this is one of those "live-and-learn" lessons that we all have at one time or another.

Quote Originally Posted by wattse2000 View Post
    I was just thinking maybe I'd try applying bleach to the quilting lines that show up really bad on that bright green fabric. I guess it couldn't get any worse!
    NO Bleach.. Try the Synthropol , oxyclean and color catches first.. I have had luck with that. This is one of the reasons every single piece of fabric I bring in the house gets washed first... but it still happens sometimes .. I had to get black out of mine and it worked. I washed in Synthropol , got a bit out then did the oxyclean and color catches a couple of times. I didn't dry it until I was sure everything was out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    Synthropol is the best way to go.. .I have had success getting a bleed out after assembly and wash. Just don't dry it. And the sooner the treatment the better.
    I agree with this....
    Retired and living in NE Michigan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    So sorry this happened to you. Even though it's a hassle every time I hear a story like this I am more convinced than ever I should prewash everything. Do I? In the process of whipping up a quick baby quilt that I did not pre- wash. Do good intentions count?
    Yes, prewash, especially after reading yesterday's QB about formaldehyde in fabrics. You really don't want to expose a baby to that chemical.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Oh, sending you a big hug. So much love and work into a quilt; that's not how you want it to end up.
    Mavis

Synthropol is the best way to go.. .I have had success getting a bleed out after assembly and wash. Just don't dry it. And the sooner the treatment the better.
    This is what I would use also. I worked for me once when a red bled on white. Good luck.
    LADYBUG

You have my sympathy. Now that you've already used bleach on the pink lines, I think I would use my dsm to quilt over them with a wide decorative stitch. That will help to hide what happened, and also strengthen those places, because that bleach is going to weaken the fabric there over time. I remember reading about something which you can use to stop the action of the bleach, and I think it's vinegar, but not positive. Anyone know for sure?

Try the suggestions and see if they work. If not,use it and love it anyway..... no one or no thing is perfect.

Suggestion AFTER the disaster. I use flannel sheets for backing. King size sheet for queen size quilt. Never an issue w/bleeding. I get the sets when they are on sale at JC Penny's. I prewash them for shrinkage. Done this for two quilts and no bleeding issues at all....even w/the brown sheet. So sorry for your bleeding on fab. I know you are so upset.
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Oh my! That's terrible, and after all of that work! I'd try the Oxyclean, as well as color catchers. You can get the color catchers at walMart, but don't wait too long. The longer it stays, the more it sets!

Blog Entries
    I also learned a very hard lesson with red flannel from Joann's. I allows pre wash flannel because of shrinkage.
    One of the colors with a plain red. Worst case of color bleeding I'd ever seen. All the fabric I'd washed was ruined.
    I carried it back to the store to complain. They were even shocked at how bad it was. They refunded my money and I learned never to wash RED with anything. I actually have learned I no longer use red flannel from Joann's.

So sorry this happened! Sorry you bleached it too. I like JustABit's idea to use decorative stitching over the bleached lines. I was going to suggest Resolve Stain Stick which I have found takes out just about anything, but that's before it's been dried, or bleached.
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    I second that. I used Synthrapol recently to get blue dye from flannel back out of yellow pieces on the front. I was shocked that it worked, but it did the job!
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    Would it be possible to sew a decorative stitch along the pink lines? Maybe in the pink so that it would look intentional. Just a thought.
    Marge

I'm very sorry this happened to your lovely quilt. A potential visual help might be to run rickrack along the quilting lines. It's already zigzag so it'll just add a little more.
    Donna in Bellevue

Quote Originally Posted by wattse2000 View Post
    Quilters! I need to cry on your collective shoulders. I made an enormous, queen-size, zig zag quilt for our bed. I love it. It's the first time I've ever used flannel backing -- I believe it was the snuggle flannel from Joann's. Anyway, I finally washed it and the flannel (hot pink) has bled through to the front where the quilting lines are!!!! Oh no!!!! So, so sad Is there anything I can do now?
    So sorry! Try Clorox2 (not the bleach, but the blue stuff). Soak it in a somewhat strong solution for an hour. I have had good luck with it - almost always. It worked for a batik and white quilt I made.

BTW, I've been lurking for a year and have learned so much here.

Can't help with suggestions but good luck. It's a lovely quilt.
    Annie

Blog Entries
    this is a thread that i saved as it relates to your bleeding disaster. i think the synthropol is the way she went. hopefully this thread plus the suggestions you get here will help.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t144836-3.html
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Rit makes a product to take out colors that bled, you could try that. i have found that it works even on something that has been dried if it is going to work, sunlight works as a bleaching agent which is less hard on the fabric than bleach. The Rit is easier to find than anything else that has been suggested. I like to use Biz rather than the Clorox 2 because the enzymes work well.

I have no laundry ideas not already mentioned, but my heart almost stopped when I saw the damage! Sympathy, Sympathy, Sympathy!!!!! My jaw literally dropped.

Blog Entries
    Joann's has them in the notion section, they are called dye catchers and you can use a coupon. I use them all the time and you can get up to 30 washes from them. I have never used any other kind as I have found these work at least for me.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

My heart aches for you, it is a beautiful quilt. I'd follow the suggestions of all of the other quilters and know that, if it helps, I'll be pulling for a successful outcome.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast