Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: looking for sympathy

I think sewing decorative stitches would be the answer

The red quilting thread bleed on my quilt. Washed it 4 times and used about 6 color catchers per load. Ended up using the whole box. I did not dry it between washings.
    The best kind of sleep beneath heaven above is under a quilt hand made with love. Anonymous

I'd be worried that the bleach will weaken the threads / quilting. ISafer to stay with washing & other treatments folks here have suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by wattse2000 View Post
    I was just thinking maybe I'd try applying bleach to the quilting lines that show up really bad on that bright green fabric. I guess it couldn't get any worse!
    Shannon

Power Poster
    Worst/best case scenario:

You finish the quilt.
    You use the quilt all the time - because it will be 'okay' if someone spills on it.
    It ends up being the most loved and used quilt ever!

Sorry for your bad luck....all that work but I hear you can save it with a color catcher. You can also make some with stabalizers and salt. Haven't tried either but just finishing up a flannel quilt that I will definitely buy some for.

http://www.ehow.com/how_10034977_mak...r-catcher.html
    http://lyndaswhoknew.blogspot.com/

I appreciate all these responses so much. I am almost in tears reading how kind and considerate you all are to take the time to respond. The quilt is back on the bed and will just have to serve as a reminder to "go with the flow" for now. Each day that passes helps me to realize that its not the end of the world. At least it's still keeping us warm! In any case, I will be purchasing some color catchers and synthropol ASAP and I will likely not purchase joann's flannel for backing again!!! Now, I guess I'll have to start thinking about what i can do for its replacement...

Quilters! I need to cry on your collective shoulders. I made an enormous, queen-size, zig zag quilt for our bed. I love it. It's the first time I've ever used flannel backing -- I believe it was the snuggle flannel from Joann's. Anyway, I finally washed it and the flannel (hot pink) has bled through to the front where the quilting lines are!!!! Oh no!!!! So, so sad Is there anything I can do now?

To late to help you, but this should be a lesson to be sure to wash bright colors---------and for sure wash flannel.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I am soooo sorry for the damage the bleach has done to your quilt. Is it possible you might try to color neutralize the pink/white stripes from the bleach with dye sticks, sharpie or other permanent markers? In a former job, I had to "touch up" the damages to photos by using photo dyes. The key was to neutralize the damage color with the color on the opposite side of the color wheel, then carefully "dot" in another color to blend in the restored area. Like blue on yellow to make a green, etc. Definitely something to try on the edges where the trial runs would be less noticeable. Just a thought.....

If I were to use a flannel backing for a quilt, first of all, I would stay with a neutral white or beige and wash a couple of times for shrinkage before actually sewing the backing together and adding it to the quilt. Just my humble opinion, but you would be assured of no fading issues. Also, you can use salt in the water with color flannel to set the color. My Mom used to do that to new jeans when she bought them for us before we were allowed to wear them to prevent the blue denim fading on our underwear.

Blog Entries

Color catchers and/or embroidery

Quilters! I need to cry on your collective shoulders. I made an enormous, queen-size, zig zag quilt for our bed. I love it. It's the first time I've ever used flannel backing -- I believe it was the snuggle flannel from Joann's. Anyway, I finally washed it and the flannel (hot pink) has bled through to the front where the quilting lines are!!!! Oh no!!!! So, so sad Is there anything I can do now?
    I put 8 color catchers in the washing machine with a pink and black quilts after a drink was spilt on it and the dye ran.. All but one of the color catchers came out of the wash looking black or purple - the final one was grey - it saved the quilt though the pink was a little duller than it had been originally.
    But if all else fails could you embroider along the quilt lines and tell yourself and anyone who asks that it's an original design. Good luck.

Yup not that i am the quilt police but prewash especially flannel

Oxyclean and color catchers I have used. It may take more than one was with Oxyclean too, but it did work. Good Luck.

Blog Entries
    Do some lite decorative stitching over the lines, Sometimes mistakes take us to places we would never venture to go otherwise. I like your quilt .......stripes and all.
    Just passing through!

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't do that if I were you. Another thing you might try is "Resolve" - it's a dual power Oxi-action product made by Spray n Wash. (I'm Canadian - I'm assuming you can get this in the states). My friend and I co-facilitate Prayers and Squares at our church, and she used Resolve on some donated fabric that had awful bleeding stains on it from another fabric (I was ready to toss it), and the stains came out. As someone else said - whatever you try, don't put it in the dryer until all the stains are off.
    I was just thinking maybe I'd try applying bleach to the quilting lines that show up really bad on that bright green fabric. I guess it couldn't get any worse!
    C9P aka Jan

Whoa! I don't usually read all the way to the end of everyones comments but the support and suggestions offered here were truly heart felt. As I've always said "quilters are the greatest!" You have to feel better after reading all of these comments even if you still have some unwanted color on the front of the quilt. Consider it a reminder of how much quilters care for you!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    sorry this happened to you...

I NEVER pre wash fabric, but I would never use a flannel and not wash it before. #1 reason is flannel shrinks twice as much as cottons, so it will ball up your quilt when washed and colors run - especially non quilt shop flannel. I've washed flannel 4 times before using for those reasons. That said, oxy has done a good job for me and I always use color catchers.
    Good luck
    Judi in Ohio

So sorry that happened...... I always wash flannel before I use it for backing.....I find it shrinks way more than the cotton fabric you use for the top of the quilt. I would try Oxyclean and/or color catchers....you find those in the laundry section.....I get mine at Target.

I have had very good luck using the OxiClean powder, making a thin paste with water and applying to the bled on areas and rolling up the item to set for several minutes before running thru the wash BUT that would be a lot of paste and a lot of applying to all those quilting lines. My experience has just been with an article of clothing. Good luck!

So sorry for your misfortune, I alwaty pretest or prewash especially if it is a saturated color. Alap my experience with Joanna flanel has been bad, shrinks so much and fades as a rule. At least the things I seem to buy. Pretty quilt hopefull this will fade in time if other remedies dont work.
    Last edited by patdesign; 06-10-2012 at 10:19 AM.
    pat design

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    I've had good luck with Retayne also - got it at Hancock's.

Grandma's serect stain remover has made a believer of me. It might help you. It has removed ink from a skirt that had been washed and dried many times. It also worked on a red wine stain and blood. I first found it at my local quilt shop. I have also seen it online at different quilt sites.

I had that happen to me too. I was lucky in that it was the top that bled to the back, so I wasn't to upset.

Sorry this has happen to you.
    Deb

Besides using the washing suggestions, I would take the quilt to the Joann's.

Blog Entries
    I would suggest using it as is and wash when needed. no one is going to notice but you. cw
    http://ozarkcastle.blogspot.com/

Iam so sorry this has happened to you...but we learn from our mistakes....if it were me I think I would NOT put anymore stress on the quilt using agents to remove the stain.....I would definitely do a decorative stitch over the lines that are showing...it may be a little more work but think about the look afterwards...good luck to you because I have put this mistake in my quilting book for what NOT to do when making a quilt......Trish

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast