Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of flooring for new studio >

What type of flooring for new studio

What type of flooring for new studio

Old 05-29-2013, 04:45 AM

I have wood laminate in my sewing room and tile in my longarm room (former back porch). I like them both, but sort of wish I had gone with the laminate in my longarm room because standing on that hard tile is tiring. I have gotten some rubber mats which help. Laminate does not like water, however. I have 2 small dogs that will pee on it if the weather is bad outside. They have a doggie door but....... If I don't catch it immediately it can warp the edges of the laminate. It's not terribly noticeable except I know it's there. That's a great size for your room. You will love it.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:59 AM

My studio floor is oak. I wouldn't have anything else. Much easier to clean, pins don't get lost, and my rolling chairs move nicely.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:19 AM

I love wood floors. We only have carpet in the living room now. I would change that if we didn't have a piano and a large wooden shrunk in there. Wood is so easy to keep clean and we have noticed our allergies are better since we switched to wood floors. You can hear pins drop and see threads easily. Just run the swifter through the rooms quickly and it's clean. Laminate would be the same. Congrats on your new room.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by cma View Post
And I can always put a section of carpet down if necessary. The rubber mat by the yard at Lowe's is a great idea too for in front of long arm.
Getting sew excited!
You'll want cushioning both in front and in back of the longarm as you'll be standing for long periods of time whether in front or in back of the machine. My quilt studio has a concrete floor with a indoor/outdoor type carpet. I have large rubber "jigsaw" squares at my longarm that really make standing much easier. I also wear the cushyess shoes I can find. These are like the ones I have: http://www.amazon.com/We-Sell-Mats-A...ductPromotions

I you need six per table side so two sets of these will work for you.

Last edited by selm; 05-29-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:53 AM

I'm getting ready to install porcelain tile in my sewing room that looks like wood planks. If one didn't already know that it was tile, most people would be fooled into thinking it is wood.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:20 AM

My daughter had laminate flooring and the super smooth finish showed every little piece of dust, every tiny scratch.
I bought Traffic Master Allure flooring in Oak for my sewing room. It comes with a sub floor attached and is in plank form. Very easy to install, even for a beginner. Just follow the directions. It also resists water. I had a small spill right over a seam and it didn't go through. There is no glue, just peal off the paper backing, the edges are sticky and they attach to the next piece. Two sides stick out with the sticky extension sticking up, the other two sides extend with the sticky side down so they interlock nicely, can be cut with a box knife. There is also a slight texture to the finish so you don't see that shiny flat stuff. Very reasonable, purchased at Home Depot
Old 05-30-2013, 03:34 AM

A word about carpet, I love mine but I got a nice chocolate color which shows EVERYTHING. So I don't know about colors but you might want to steer clear of chocolate or brown.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:01 AM

I recommend laminate, too. Even if you have a large room, if you have any storage containers on casters, it's a big plus for rolling those, too.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:17 AM

I prefer carpet!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by cma View Post
Thankyou everyone for your quick responses. I really appreciate the input. The foundation will be wood framing. Love the idea about radiant heat! Think laminate floor is the way to go. And I can always put a section of carpet down if necessary. The rubber mat by the yard at Lowe's is a great idea too for in front of long arm.
Getting sew excited!
No rubber w/radiant floors. We've geothermal radiant floor heat for the past 13 years. Most of our floors are tile. Tile is too hard on your legs and feet. With radiant floors, carpeting must have a clay based carpet pad. It will allow the heat to radiate thru, rubber does not. My quilting studio w/concrete floor covered w/carpet (unheated , because it was going to be my DH's woodworking shop) will have radiant heating (DH has figured out how to add it to our existing system) and cork flooring. Cork is much easier on your legs. I have laminate in 2 of the lower level bedrooms. Depending on how much cushioning under the laminate, it might work.