Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what would you do if your daughter came home and said you ex is getting married and ? >

what would you do if your daughter came home and said you ex is getting married and ?

what would you do if your daughter came home and said you ex is getting married and ?

Old 11-27-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by ogama View Post
what would you do if your ex is getting mararied and she want you to help her make him a quilt for the wedding.
I'd go ahead and help the daughter make the quilt--note I said HELP, I would not do it for her but would spend the time and help her. It will be interesting to see how the new wife handles the situation! After all you KNOW what she is getting in a husband!! My ex is on wife #5 --as for me, hubby #2 and I will celebrate 45 years in the spring!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:33 PM

That request isn't about your ex, it is about your daughter. I would help her to make the quilt and do the very best job that I could so she can be proud of the gift she is giving.

I admit that I don't have the experience of having an ex to give me empathy for your situation however the best thing I have ever seen concerning step family issues is Jada Pinkett Smith. I once heard her speaking about building a relationship with the first wife. She took the position that it is important to honor the first wife because she is the mother of Will's oldest child and that ultimately the happiness of everyone depends on the adults all having a congenial relationship that supports the kids.

I am sure that it is tough but do this for your daughter, now and in the future.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:34 PM

I would help her - you're doing it for her, not him. I have made quilts for my grandson (too young to do it himself) to give 2 half brothers. I did it for him - certainly not them or their mother who I despise to put it mildly! I used simple patterns that we appliqued his hand prints on them. He was thrilled and it didn't hurt me knowing that I was doing it out of my love for him, not my feelings for his mother.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:50 PM

You are in a very difficult position. However please put aside your own feelings and help her make it. However don't make it yourself. Help her with any knowledge you can, but make her be the one to actually make it. Good luck.

Kat
Old 11-27-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by walkswithwolves View Post
I would help her. Because it didn't work out between your X and you should not, cause problems between you and your daughter. So hold your head high and say to yourself I can do this.
I agree ... Hold your head high and do not let your feelings for him deter you from spending quality time with your daughter,,,,,
Old 11-27-2011, 08:55 PM

Thumbs up what would u do if your daughtercame home and said your ex is getting married and ?

[QUOTE=walkswithwolves;4722391]I would help her. Because it didn't work out between your X and you should not, cause problems between you and your daughter. So hold your head high and say to yourself I can do this.[/QUO
This should be a day your DD would be proud of you.
And I agree with walkswithwolves: hold your head high and be proud she ask you for the help; Dottie Bug
Old 11-27-2011, 10:00 PM

I would look at my daughter and say " what pattern and colors do you have in mind", I know this will probably be one of the toughest things you have ever done, but, she's yours,a dn his child, I get to hear a lot of people complain about their ex'es, help your daughter by showing her that you can be a real grown up and except the marriage of your ex, remember he is your ex for a reason, and laugh to yourself each time you think of them sleeping under the quilt you helped to create for them to sleep under
Old 11-27-2011, 10:09 PM

Oh show her what a big lady her mother is help her with the quilt an one day she will realize the spot she ask you to be in, not till she has been in the world an had some things hit her.
I raised my sons alone an not till they got hurt did they know the shoes we walked in
Old 11-27-2011, 10:18 PM

Help her make a lovely quilt. You will look so gracious in her eyes. And she is the one you still love. Besides, then you can enjoy thinking how much his new wife will enjoy having it in her house.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 PM

I think you have every right to decline if you're not 100% comfortable with it.