Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Anastasia’s Table Topper/Runner Swap  -- Closed >

Anastasia’s Table Topper/Runner Swap -- Closed

Anastasia’s Table Topper/Runner Swap -- Closed

Old 03-13-2013, 05:23 PM

I worked volunteer at a ranch in the bay area foothills growing up. You mucked stalls, moved horses from lower meadows to upper meadows, took care of the rabbits, guinnea pigs etc you could ride for free. A deal in the best form. My older sister and I worked probably 4 years up there. It was an absolute pleasure. Now its a camp for underpriveledged kids, they grow summer gardens and have art docents there and its a more organized form of lovely. I preferred my memories. treasures aren't they? We have oodles of woods for camping girls. I prefer a nice soft bed.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:52 PM

Brat, did you get a delivery in the mail today???? OK hold on I will go and find that confirmation number!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 PM

dang can't find it!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 PM

I spent 16 months at Camp Tracey Children's Home. As a camp alumni, when talking to most people, it's easier to just refer to it as boarding school. It makes it sound nicer than it was, and less explanation is needed. I know that most of the people who worked there meant well, but the methods employed there were taken after the Lester Roloff's home in Texas, and were a bit extreme in some areas. I have to say, we did not have things quite as bad as those kids did, but did was far from a picnic.

The first 11 months were bad, but then we got a new dorm mother. In the last 5 months I was there, I realized that being there was the lesser of 3 evils in my life. I was always ahead in school, so she let me spend most of my non-schooldays in the kitchen with her. I learned to "put up" vegetables, make pepper jelly and fruit preserves, and how to cook for an army all by myself when I need to. Because I was on extra kitchen time, and the only senior in the camp school, I had a lot of short interval opportunities to enjoy being in the country. I'd go almost every morning to help care for the horses if I didn't have school. I also got to travel with the singing group and sang competitively at the state competition.

I graduated from school in May and expected to go home, but it wasn't meant to be, so I spent all summer there. I stayed by her side the entire summer. When the girls went to the fields to pick vegetables, she and I stayed behind many days and put up what they'd brought back the day before and prepared lunch and dinner alone or just a small group of other girls. I don't know what I would do without her that last few months I was there. She changed my entire perspective on my life and my being there. I found a profile for her on Linkedin recently and am waiting to see if I hear back from her. If she's still living, she's likely nearly 90 years old now.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:47 AM

Amazing memories we all have. Girls and horses, camps, canning.. I think life tosses so many things in our paths and we just learn how to find joy in them as best we can.

KIFFIE YOUR HAVING FUN! sorta but its cool to learn new tricks so enjoy and just think when you get that down the quilting world will be at your fingertips!

marybeth what did you lose??? and I didnt go to the post office yesterday I stayed home and sewed sorry. I will go today promise I have more stuff to mail too. I almost dread that place. last time I was there it was 39.and some change yikes. so everytime I go its like the cash register in my head goes.. ching ching ching and it doesnt stop!

today clinic and two more boom blocks. picking away at those things. I also got one Christmas block done so now I have 10 of those.. figure a couple a week by summer I have a quilt Its all out of scraps mine and Jaba's left over pieces and its been fun to see it come together. I rarely have use for lots of scraps but so wanted a red/white quilt then came the well Christmas would be fun.. and it is. I started using Wyldewytchs block of the week group for it now I am just using blocks that I love to make. Silly ones but they are some of my favorites, the greek cross things like that..pinwheels (gag Anastasia I know go ahead) and I am a happy camper. I am also doing a halloween quilt for the Boom and its sooo fun. lots and lots of pumpkins smiling and happy. What will I do with this quilt? no idea. but its fun watching them all come home. If have havent done a boom before you should check this one out. The blocks being sent are getting more varied and I think turning out really well for everyone. Well you all have a grand day and I am off to 'work'.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 AM

had a lovely evening and finished up dusty's mom's runner. i hope you like it, girl! i did not make it very flashy, as in not at all, and i didn't embellish it. i tried to de-fur it, and to my myopic, presby-opic eyes it looked furless.
i just went out to check with the oilman. we were out, so no morning shower, sorry, don't do cold water! and now i'm off with dh as he has some oral surgery done. poor baby! and hope to hit the p.o. and the drugstore on the way back. if not, the squishy will go out this afternoon. love all the memories and childhood stories! so many different and varied roads have led us all to.....HERE!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 AM

Uh oh, I'm sending the boy out for a box today. I've decided to do a little free form stitching on yours, I'll pop it in the wash this evening when I'm done and have it ready to head out tomorrow!

OK, time to head back to finish "making the donuts" for the day!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:37 AM

donuts? your making donuts? I like donuts. yes yes I do. I am defrosting a flank steak right now. made terriyaki a few days ago so dont want that, made carne asada last night, what do I do with this one? mustard steak? roulaidine type something know its not round steak much cheaper that is but well its there and needs fixing somehow. Wishing I could hit the store for ideas but a golf cart is parked RIGHT BEHIND my truck and I cant move it. argh. so stuck at home til that gets moved. Always some park vehicle here, snow plow or fire truck something that well.. irks me a bit. The whole park why right behind the one vehicle we own?? and its my man who does it. parks it leaves it takes a different one out and here I sit... he is fixing water mains right now should just take a nap and say hell with it. argh!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:04 PM

Let's see if I can find picture of my quilt show entry and post it. I'm home from the show and trying to catch up on all my board reading - I am so far behind on this. Haven't done much sewing, have a patriotic runner to do, a quilt of valor quilt to finish cutting and a birthday present to put borders on (I'll post that picture later). All I bought today were 8 spools of YLI to do some thread painting on a quilt that I had finished and then took apart to do the thread painting on the smaller parts rather than the whole quilt under the arm of the machine. (I'll post that picture later, too - if I ever finish it and put it back together!). Oh, BTW, no ribbon.
Attached Thumbnails im000993.jpg  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:05 PM

Will have to take another picture when I get it home - I have butterflies all over the quilt and 'jewels' on the panel butterflies. They don't show on this picture.