April POM Swap

Old 04-19-2016, 11:38 AM

I like to make full reversible aprons, I use novelty fabrics that are paired by theme. For a gift exchange last year, I gave a men's barbecue apron (front of denim & backside of barbecue theme cotton fabric), a set of barbecue tools, and a woman't reversible (full) apron with bacon fabric on one side and fried eggs on the other side! It was a hit! I like to shop for fabrics with that in mind, I pick themes that work together (like coffee and tea, or food, etc). It's a lot of fun since there are so many cool and funky fabrics to choose from these days!
I recently acquired some vintage out of print patterns for aprons from the 40's and 50's, and I will be updating those with some new fabrics. Those are going to be real cool, and by the time the craft fairs roll around, I should have a supply to (hopefully) sell.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Mary, thanks for the chicken info. Being I'm not a country girl, i like to keep up with things, and not sound stupid when people talk about chickens, I like to have a bit of information about them. Any baby cows yet?

ckcowl, thanks for the input. My cousins are far away, I see them once a year around christmas and maybe over the summer. I think I'll go full apron. My one cousin Scott bakes me cookies every Christmas. His wife cooks , he bakes, so they both will get them. My other cousin and his wife will get them too, he will get a BBQ apron. thanks for all the info, my decision is final, full apron.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:49 AM

I bake with a full apron! light cooking, just 1/2 apron.
And, polishing dentures...a complete bib apron!........for my business of course
Old 04-19-2016, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

I used to wear one. I just quit for some reason. I wore the 1/2 aprons. I have such a bad habit of wiping my hands on my sides and getting my clothes dirty. Before it was on the apron. I've seen some really cute and also some really fancy ones lately on the internet. hope someone posts theirs soon. Teresa you had me going for a minute about the dentures. lol
Old 04-19-2016, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

My mother used to wear the half aprons when doing dishes or light cooking when I was growing up. I noticed she used the half apron to wipe her hands off when wet. (like a dish towel) She always had lots of the half aprons then. Those were during the days when she had her clothes pin bag, and would hang her clothes outside on the line, and they always smelled so fresh.

My daughter in law always cooks with her full bib apron, and loves fancy ones she makes and buys. By fancy I mean all the added ruffles around them, cute prints, and wide well made sashes long enough to make into pretty tied bows in the back.

My husband does most of the cooking, and I think it was about 2 years ago now that I made him a full bib type apron more like the bar b que style for him. I didn't have a pattern, but it turned out really nice. He loves it. My husband loves getting his hands into flour. (lol) He likes seeing what he can come up with, and loves experimenting with yeast etc. so I made sure his apron had a white back ground and print on that. I wanted to make him a chef hat, but that hasn't happened yet. lol....

Last edited by JuneBillie; 04-19-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

Lynnie, I personally think all your questions are great, because the only ones who lose out are the ones who want to know something, but are afraid to ask. You are smart for asking.

I have a question for everyone.

My son and daughter in law this September are saying their vows again with a full repeat wedding to honor their anniversary. It will be outside, and he is making them a gazebo, and even buying her a new diamond ring. They are hiring a orchestra to play music. It will be a big event with all the families and friends. I want to make them something special, but not sure yet what to make. It needs to be different, but nice. I don't want it to be a big quilt, because they have a special one my mother made them when she was still here. That is their prized special made quilt. Please give me any nice ideas of something I could make. After their repeat wedding they are taking off in a little trailer he is also making. (he builds everything, and they already have a large pull behind his truck trailer) But, he wants to build one of these little new type trailers he had looked at to easily pull for a three week across country adventure. The both love traveling, and are also big campers.

Thanks! Susan

Last edited by JuneBillie; 04-19-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

Susan, why not make them a nice pillow like i made for you. Just bigger, and put the date on it.
Or a nice photo album to put the photos in. I did my wedding album in black white, silver and red. When we got the photos back, i just slipped them in. I got a lot of nice scrap booking papers and accents in those colors. Show us what you do.

Aprons, should i do the mens in denim or duck, or, should i use prints for them like i will for their wives?
Old 04-19-2016, 10:29 PM
Power Poster

Lynnie there wedding colors they chose back then was black, white, and silver. Made me think of what you said. My son dressed in black pants, black shoes. and a black bow tie with a white shirt and dinner style jacket. He wanted something different. He had on a silver boutonnière. She made her own wedding dress with pearls she hand stitched to it, and it turned out beautiful.

They had a picture of each of them when they were about 5 years old sitting behind the wedding book where everyone signed in as they entered the church. It was cute. It wasn't a big wedding, but nice. The next one this summer will be bigger.

The pillow is a cute idea. I still have that pillow in my sewing room. It's pretty.

If you make some aprons for men in your family, it depends on what they like. If they like to bar b que then it could be denim or a cute bar b que print for men. Men who like to hunt or go in the woods a lot such as with 4-wheeling they might like a camouflage fabric. Most men would probably like the denim. The duck fabric is good too especially for the more conservative type.

Last edited by JuneBillie; 04-19-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

Susan, I went to JA's today, got some fabs for $2.50/yd. got one brown with little outlines of spatulas, wisks and stuff like that. the other one is of chefs with food signs. I also got a Halloween print to make my other cousin a Halloween apron for her party. Scored big time. May go to get more tomorrow for an apron for myself.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:18 AM
Power Poster

Lynnie, it sounds like you did hit the jack pot with all those fabrics. They sound great! Yes, you need to make you one too.