Boom 17 - TOPAZ

Old 10-05-2016, 08:10 PM

Funny story. A friend of mine had a "home made" wedding dress a year before I got married and she had trouble keeping the buttons together, so when I made mine and got to the button stage I wore it around the house and did all the things I would be doing at the wedding and reception (sitting standing, bending, dancing etc...) buttons all stayed together fine so I thought I was golden. Well when I got to the church (just in time to walk the isle) the "bride music" started and I was standing just out of sight when the couple that had brought me to the church whisper "one button is off" so she reached to button it and like a row of dominoes they all went, so they both the husband and wife are frantically rebuttoning 25 buttons, the bride music is playing, no bride is showing up. The photographer got a pic of my soon to be husband trying to look straight ahead but his eyes are so cut to the side to where I should be walking out. For a couple of seconds he thinks I am not coming. Then we make it to the reception hall and the buttons come undone again, so now he is trying to rebutton me before we make our grand entrance into the hall, w/ the guests walking by harassing him about "waiting until after the reception" lol lol lol
Old 10-05-2016, 08:37 PM

got married on my Grandparent's 20 acre ranch, in Toll house, Ca, it was so hot my curled hair went straight. But, it was a lovely day I will never forget, or the man I married.## good years with two wonderful sons to show for it.

your story is too funny Kass
Old 10-05-2016, 08:48 PM

Our wedding was pretty simple..mother made my dress and the maid of honor's; DH's auntie did the wedding reception in the church hall...she loved to put on parties. My mother paid $25 for the cake,$20 for flowers,the DH' s lady relatives made a million cookies. The family dinner afterward was cooked by my MIL... there was not alcohol as my grandparents would have been upset. That was 50 years ago this coming July.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:58 PM

Engagement photo Nov 1993, Family photo July 2015, DH, me, and our boys, and the whole family, with DD, DSIL, and the grands. Our wedding in Jan of 94 was put on for less than 2 grand. I paid $200 for my dress at a local shop that was going out of business. Every hour their prices went down 10%. A nice lady, who I did not know, was staying until closing and offered to hold my dress so I didn't have to stay. Our reception was a pot luck, which is perfectly acceptable in the south. The florist was a friend of my DMIL and she made us a nice deal. Like Terriamn, it was his first, so he wanted all the bells and whistles and I was happy to oblige on a budget.
Attached Thumbnails dscf4600.jpg   downtown_dtdbbb_7374920741.jpeg   ak_trplaza_7375107698.jpeg  
Old 10-05-2016, 09:19 PM

GramE you are so tiny did you deliver mail or work in the actual post office.

Haha, tiny isn't a word they would use to describe me now! I was 5' tall & weighed 97 pounds. We didn't have food, just cake & punch. Our wedding meal was a box of French fried shrimp & fries from KFC & chocolate milk from Kroger that we picked up on our way to the motel for our one night stay. I went from my father's house to my husband's grandfather's house. He was a Kentucky born factory worker who lived with us until his passing. An interesting beginning to a marriage. I'm glad they had added an inside bathroom before I arrived. He was a quiet man who taught me a whole bunch I'd never learned at home.

My husband was in the Air Force so we lived in Texas, then North Carolina. I was a proof reader at our local newspaper before he joined. Then I did payroll for Montgomery Wards for 6 years or so. Then we came back to Indiana & I wrote taxes for H & R Block before working in the office at Kmart. Had my 4th while there & while on pregnancy leave it was hard to believe how much smoother things at home went, but I went back until my oldest started into puberty. I could do it all physically, but emotionally I was a mess so we decided to try it on one income. That lasted 6 years, well I cleaned house & cooked meals for a lady Air Force dentist & her family, but my oldest was heading to college & we decided I needed a real job. Actually it was four years after I had applied when I got called. I was 36. Only worked part time at first, but sometimes I had 2-3 part time jobs at a time. Lunch lady at school, printing wedding napkins in the evening, taking inventories over night. They were all "as needed" so we never knew from one day to the next where I would be! Then in '97 I went full time at the Post Office when my youngest graduated. Pretty much a jack of all trades, master of none! But no I was a rural mail carrier for 23 yrs until a young man ran a yield sign & spun my whole life in a different direction. Now I get to stay home & sew and take care of my hubby.

All the time at the post office, whenever I went shopping fabric always caught my eye. So I have a stash that took 23 years to build up! Others come shopping at my house! We moved to a single level home 4 yrs ago, I got some of my grandsons help me move my fabric so DH wouldn't see the reality of all I had. Now, I can't get out much, I have all I need here!

Last edited by GramE; 10-05-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
Our wedding was pretty simple..mother made my dress and the maid of honor's; DH's auntie did the wedding reception in the church hall...she loved to put on parties. My mother paid $25 for the cake,$20 for flowers,the DH' s lady relatives made a million cookies. The family dinner afterward was cooked by my MIL... there was not alcohol as my grandparents would have been upset. That was 50 years ago this coming July.
Francie, I love simple. And I love the division of the responsibility. All those woman working together. Sounds like a wonderful family celebration.

Kass, I would have had a nervous breakdown with that button thing! But wonderful story!

Last edited by GramE; 10-05-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:49 PM

Beautiful family & wonderful family pictures, Molly.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Power Poster

Hilarious button story, Kass! I guess you wore them out with the "practice run".

Really enjoying the photos and stories!
Old 10-05-2016, 10:36 PM

Love all the pics!

Here's a couple of DH and me, one right after the wedding, and one as we were leaving for our honeymoon. We changed out of our wedding clothes after the reception. My dress was a frilly "layer cake" of lace, and I could barely sit down, much less get into our car. We've been together since I was 13 and he was 14, boyfriend/girlfriend even before we were allowed to go on a real date. We celebrated our 28th anniversary in June.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559744[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559745[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails wedding.jpg   getaway.jpg  
Old 10-06-2016, 04:45 AM

Francie, we didn't have ETOH either. None of the family would have been offended, but we didn't want any "drama" to develop, and couldn't afford the expense anyway.

Molly you guys are a cute couple and you have a great looking family.