Boom 28 Holly

Old 12-30-2022, 02:42 PM

I am very glad all the packages have arrived! New grandbaby soon for you, Bonnie! Yay! Thank you for keeping up with all the pictures and making sure we were all doing well throughout the process. I am so sorry you got a stomach bug! There is a lot of that running around right now. I'm glad you are feeling better!

I hope everyone in the Boom is happy and healthy and ready for the new year! Happy New Year everyone!
Old 12-31-2022, 06:00 AM

Yeah on the packages arriving shortly.

I want to thank you for the great job also Bonnie. Hope your stomach bug is short lived

We arrived in Texas yesterday to beautiful sunshine. Nothing like being back in Minnesota with freezing temps, ice glazed roads and snow storm after snow storm to appreciate being back here.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:26 AM

SBG, glad you are feeling a bit better. Hope today’s better yet. You’re right about the pix being a necessary reference. Am happy you decided to go with a gallery although it is a pita. Several months off between booms is ideal to my mind. Will look forward to the next one in the spring.

Terriamn, glad you arrived safely. Should be a more enjoyable winter in Texas.

Wishing all my Boom Buddies a very Healthy and Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2022, 09:47 AM

Sis is doing well. Gall Stones. She will see her Primary Care Dr. on Tuesday for further instructions. She claims its very painful.
I got a Grace Cutie Frame for Christmas to use with my sit-down Machine. I am so excited for the blocks to arrive. I have a friend having a boy and my other sister is having a girl. The blocks with the flowers and Dino's will make such cute baby quilts. If I get really good with the free motion quilting on my frame, I will be finishing up enough WIP's for all my family to get a quilt for next Christmas.

Hope you all have a happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2022, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

I'm all better! I was a day or so delayed in getting home due to getting sick as a dog... but I got in last night. Memphis had lots of snow and ice last weekend and many pipes froze and broke. (Southerners don't know how to prepare for 'real' winter!) Due to all the broken water pipes, Memphis had a city-wide boil water notice on. I didn't get the memo. I had been drinking tap water, as I usually do. I'm sure that's what did it.

Anyway, hubby and I just came from the post office where we dropped off all your packages. I don't know if they will actually move before Monday or Tuesday, due to the holiday, but here's hoping they get to you soon.

I have to say that Pirate ship ROCKS. They had a new, lower rate on priority. There is something called "Priority cubic" where they measure the packaging and figure out the postage cubic-ly rather than by weight. It comes out much cheaper unless you are mailing a really long distance. It's not a new class, most people just don't know about it. Go to Pirate Ship and make a free account! It's just like using USPS online, only they have first class and UPS too. So convenient and definitely the cheapest way to go. If you sent me way too much money, you will find a refund in your shipment. If it was just a few bucks over, I added it to the ink fund.

So, a couple of things about the blocks:

One set of blocks I had returned to the maker to re-do ended up lost in a postal center for a long time-- over a month! I panicked and remade those 7 blocks as close a replica of the originals as I could. I wanted to have replacements in case we never got the blocks back. But then they finally got delivered. So I sent the extra ones I made to the respective people, in with their other blocks. If you have an extra block in your package, it was one of those blocks. You can use them or toss them.

Next time we will NOT be allowing fold-top baggies. While they may be great for sandwiches, they do not keep other contents from falling out of them over and over. Also, plan to use at least sandwich sized bags. The little snack bags are just too small. Once you cram a finished block in them, they are impossible to close. Sandwich or quart bags with a zipper top and no slider are just about perfect for our needs.

Surprisingly, many of you didn't identify yourself as the maker of the blocks! I intercepted as many as I could find and inserted a name in the baggie. But I shouldn't have to do that. Every baggie has a note from the owner. Just turn the note over and write your name on it and stick it back in the bag. How hard can that be? If you find an unnamed block that I missed, you will have to identify it in the gallery to learn who made it.

I think most quilters own a 12.5" square Plexiglas ruler, but if you don't, start watching for one on sale before the next boom! (JoAnn's...). They really are a must. No block should be mailed before it's checked under that ruler, measuring from a corner and not the center. Anything measuring less than 12.5" needs to have the seams altered a bit to get the block to size. Anything less than 12 3/8" will probably be returned to you for fixing. Nearly everyone made the right sized blocks this time... BRAVO YOU!! Only a few problems this time and I am so grateful for your efforts.

So all in all I consider this Boom a huge success! The blocks are terrific and unique. The quilts will be amazing. Don't forget to come back to this thread and post your pics of your finished quilts and I will add them to our gallery. Can't wait to see!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Everyone!
Old 12-31-2022, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

Meant to say that I used Priority Cubic for the bigger, non flat rate packages: The ones with two swap groups' worth of blocks in them. The one-group shipments went regular priority flat rate for $8.30.
Old 12-31-2022, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

LStew, I have also heard that gall stones are very painful. Now they have some kind of laser treatment that busts them up without surgery.

Enjoy your new quilting frame. I don't know anything about that one, but I do know that to get good at FMQ, it takes consistency in practice. It would be more beneficial to practice just 10 minutes every day, than to do an hour once a week. Hope that makes sense. Hope your learning curve is short!
Old 12-31-2022, 12:00 PM

Got my tracking number. Thanks, SBG. Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2022, 12:53 PM

Thank you for all the hard work and keeping us all accountable.. It is so appreciated
And thank you one and all for your blocks - I did find sashing fabric - but until I get the blocks on the wall - who knows.

My two teenage grandchildren knocked on our door on Christmas afternoon! Surprise!! (so glad my DH can not keep a secret) they stayed for a dinner {that I always cook too much of} and over night. In the morning DS got the ATV out and pulled the kids around on sleds. They went home black and blue but happy!!
Best Christmas present ever!!
Old 12-31-2022, 03:09 PM

Thank you for hosting this event, Bonnie! To be honest, when I joined I was a bit scared because I wasn't used to making modern blocks, but the more I made, I found the more fun it was to try some different blocks for the most part. Made blocks I never made before. It really opened my eyes up to block possibilities!

And thanks every for my elephant blocks! Can't wait to get them and see what kind of quilt I'm going to make! What fun!