Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: SECRET HOME DÉCOR SWAP - entry closes January 21, 2013

Blog Entries
    we could share regular e-mail addys and do it that way. even if it's just a few of us, it would still be fun! we would need to p.m the e-mail addresses, not display them on athread as the threads are public, but the private messages are not.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

oh well good idea right? I am going to get this months pattern for me and then decide on whether to buy them all or just a few.. I know the whole thing is only so much like 20.00 but that is a lot for me right now .. at least i would have the starter month.

I will wait to send when everyone does but am finished. That way hopefully you can do your little check chart on who has said they are ready and when you say Go dusty we will go Go! to the post office! and the photos will clog your site then with happy campers and their sweet treats. I will hope you guys are not going overboard. this is not a secret pal send everything and the kitchen sink swap. I hope not or my partner will be sad. I have made one item, its pretty and that is what I have to send. Hope it will be enough (crossing fingers).. I did not have a kitchen. (that is a clue here)..
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

My new laptop came yesterday, so no work on my sewing last night. I have to say that I'd like to slap Bill Gates around a little for some of the "improvements" to Windows 8. So last night was spent on setting up the new lappy and I had an appt for a hair cut & color. Oh my, this new color I got is brighter than I planned. I'm naturally a redhead, but I've been covering up my "racing stripes" since 2001. The sample of the color I picked was a lot more brown than what it turned out on my head. I feel like Carrotop's dark haired sister this morning, lol. All of this preparation, including the new manicure with the green & gold nail polish that matches my dress, is in preparation for this formal dinner thing we're going to on Saturday. Guess I'm going to be a bit shocking, lol, or at least memorable!

I would be up for doing a side swap with a few of you if you like. We could pick colors & do it by outside email. Swap up partners so that we swap with everyone involved. I have a couple other ideas too. If you're interested, inbox me here & we'll work out the details between us.

Elisabrat, I will mark you down as done. I don't remember how many are in your group or who right off. Will look & let you know this evening.

How much is her 'discounted' price? I'd like to help see if we can make this work. Such a cute quilt.

Also... owlvamp is hosting an owl quilt block swap and there are some cute blocks being made there, though more brights than true, for any other owl lovers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by DustysMomma View Post
    For those who have been following the discussion about the owl quilt (called "Whoo Knows?") BOM on Fat Cat, I contacted the site/pattern owner and she's agreed to let us use the pattern for the swap. She's also offered to sell the full pattern at a reduced price to participants for the first 30 days, if I can get the swap approved by our site admins here. Anyone who comes in late will have to either buy the pattern in full or if they come in during March, they can pay the $5 to download this month's block and can keep up with us for the rest of them.

So! I'm going to email PatriceJ and see if she'll let me post the swap. With this one not over yet, she may say no until this one is over. I'm just not sure. If so, if there is someone else willing to back me up and do the first couple months until this swap is over, I'll gladly pitch in & help.

In the meantime, if you even think you might be interested, head on over to this page and download this month's block before it's too late!

http://www.fatcatpatterns.com/BoMs.html

I didnt know I had a group! whipppeee yahoooo. if we had secret meetings and no one invited me is it something I said? I say an awful lot of stuff most of it fluff.. its ok I have already forgotten the meeting if I did attend so its all good

its freezing. I just walked in.. go ahead laugh its 45 ok ok but I have to wear moccasins or I cant walk shoes too heavy. about 8 inches of snow left. my feet got so wet and so cold just getting from the car. I stood in the kitchen like an idiot made my dh lunch and thought oh dear its so cold in here. DUH your feet are iced wet. So now i sit on the couch wrappedin two warm blankets heater on socks now on my feet shoes over by the heater thinking you dumb bunny. could have slipped them off instantly when I got inside put th esocks on the feet and been fine. ten minutes of ice shoes.. duh. la la la where was I? worried about a dumb sandwich. then i go check the machine. burn day he says monster fire cant leave it wont be home for lunch. I saw it blink thought nope have to get that sandwich done time is up its 12 he comes in at 12 rush rush rush and.. now i wrap it up and say kind words to it when i do.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by tracibug View Post
    How much is her 'discounted' price? I'd like to help see if we can make this work. Such a cute quilt.
    The discounted price was based on the swap, so I don't know if it will be available without a posted swap. So far I haven't heard from anyone for sure about doing it.

Elisabrat, if there were secret meetings, you would know, lol.

GOOD MORNING! I am in a happy mood. no clinic! a day of quilting! this is going to be a great day. The snow is melting nicely should hit 45 so I can even go to the post office. yahoo! someone asked my favorite color forgot to respond.. eh.. all of them? ok not a mud dirt colored person by choice. get me in a fabric store I go to the reds! the fuschias! the aquas I guess I like what I call happy colors, hot colors? not much into orange or the yellows but more warm then cold. ok I lied. I like the holiday colors lol so whatever holiday is coming up.. those are the colors I love.

here is a pic from inside the house, not great but my kitty was watching the .. snow and we both thought better inside than out. I can not believe the pic loaded! slower than molasses internet these days.

Name:  morning snow 009.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  627.0 KB
    Linda

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    You have alot more snow than we got brat. It's just about all melted here, 1/2" here and there about all that's left. Calling for more this weekend but don't think it will amount to very much.

Blog Entries
    Love the picture Brat! Looks so peaceful.
    Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Love the picture Brat - we got around 8 or 9 inches of snow last night - up this morning around six to start clearing off the driveway, sidewalks patio - etc. and then went across the street to clear off the same for a couple of neighbors - thank goodness Brian decided to get up (he works the late shift) and start the snowblower; lot of work but what a beautiful morning - perfect temps.

Off to the salon for a sassy cut and color this afternoon - going to try something different - platinum.
    Be good to yourself - do one thing each day that makes you smile.

How pretty! Your furbaby seems to think so too.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

hey how did that platinum come out dabbler? wowsa. sounds interesting share a pic share a pic! I get my hair cut by my friend. last time she killed it. the time before she did great. difference was first time I gave her wine two glasses later she can cut hair. the second time no wine and well caffeine is not the best inducer of hair cuts from her. But the price was right. we sat on the back porch and visit and chopped. I was home coloring but gave up. Here there are about six choices of color at the market and they are over 12.00 each. no thanks. I am just a dull mouse ash blonde with a massive white streak right in front. morticia? could be

oh sewnsewer I just checked out your avitar. oodles of kitties too. how many in your harem of cats?
    Linda

Im interested! I think it would make a darling baby quilt, and my husband and I plan on having another next year, so it something I can give the baby with a wonderful story. I also would help in anyway with the planning, etc..... I think it would be interesting is we each choose a color theme and each month got new partners, we would each make one or two blocks a month to swap, and we could get the pattern free every month, so no cost on the pattern. In my opinion it would have to be closed after we started. I don't know how hardthat would be to do, since I have never directed a swap but it's lite work since its one or two a month. YAY, I'm EXCITED!

Quote Originally Posted by DustysMomma View Post
    The discounted price was based on the swap, so I don't know if it will be available without a posted swap. So far I haven't heard from anyone for sure about doing it.

Elisabrat, if there were secret meetings, you would know, lol.

Elisabrat, that is beautiful!! We are possibly getting a foot of snow starting tomorrow night and winds in the 30 mph range, so it sounds like we are getting a blizzard.

My daughter would love a cat but I am highly allergic, so she has to settle for stuffed animals. When we build on our land I told her we could get a cat to live in the barn.

That is a beautiful picture Elisabrat! Dabbler, I went redder than my natural this time, and it's redder than I planned! I haven't been this red since Dusty was in elementary school, probably 10-15 years ago. I really like it though.

Tonight is our formal thing in Birmingham, which is why I paid to get my hair colored this time. It starts in 11 hours, and it's about a 2 hour or so drive, so I'm sure as soon as my boyfriend gets up the frantics will begin since we haven't packed yet.

Sikesjj, so far there is only 1 person who has emailed that they would be interested in swapping. With me and you, that makes 3. The problem with getting it approved to post here isn't only the potential for cost, but also that the block comes from "off site", so we'd have to post a link to get to it. I don't have a problem with closing it as soon as the first block closed, and changing around partners, but it won't be allowed to be on here as an official swap.

Blog Entries
    i've just pm'd you, dusty. who do we have so far playing? the round robins sometimes have only 5 or 6, so....... we could geterdun!

Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
    hey how did that platinum come out dabbler? wowsa. sounds interesting share a pic share a pic! I get my hair cut by my friend. last time she killed it. the time before she did great. difference was first time I gave her wine two glasses later she can cut hair. the second time no wine and well caffeine is not the best inducer of hair cuts from her. But the price was right. we sat on the back porch and visit and chopped. I was home coloring but gave up. Here there are about six choices of color at the market and they are over 12.00 each. no thanks. I am just a dull mouse ash blonde with a massive white streak right in front. morticia? could be

oh sewnsewer I just checked out your avitar. oodles of kitties too. how many in your harem of cats?
    Elisabrat, I have the 3 in my avatar and my son gave me one of his cats, then afterwards took him back. So... as of today 3 in my brood, but will be adopting another one after I get shots up to date next week (I hope). We checked out the shelter yesterday and are interested in 2, but will only get one.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

MORNING! Dustysmom how did your grand event go? did you dazzle them with your fancy 'do' and clothing? I bet you shone like a true irish rose I admire you for glamming up and hitting the events. I did so many when I was younger but truly dressing up is so not in the cards.. I love the shine though, the sparkly jewelry (oh for vintage rhinestones swoon) and sequins and well oh yeah love that stuff. just doesnt work here. in the forest.. so flannel plaids here I come! so stylish I know thank you thank you

I am going to put my swap item in a priorty container tomorrow and address it and place it on a nice chair in the dining room so I dont lose it (good at that) and then I seriously will be ready to go. I am going to do that with two other send out items and think that will ease anxiety a tiny bit. No more swaps til I am ahead. absolutely. mostly. pretty sure.. maybe..
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Went to the salon and had my hair lightened this past Friday; I'm still in shock over how light it is - Angie, the gal that cuts my hair, advised me that if I went platinum I would be in the shop every 2-3 weeks getting a touch up - the cost would be $60 each time - I'm too thrifty for that one so she talked me into doing my hair one shade lighter than platinum - it's still very light/bleached looking; now I need to get new makeup to compliment the lighter shade so I don't look so washed out. Back in my day I was a blondie - even this shade - but as you age your skin tones change and I guess I just need to get used to it.

Blog Entries
    i'm a platinum blonde, comes out of a calendar, not clairol or loreal, altho' i'm worth it. lol. for a long time i did blonde figuring if nature was making me blonde at least i could choose the shade! but now i'm a combo of steely gray and white. haven't counted, but i'm pretty sure it's not 50 shades of gray. i'm thinking of having some faux pieces added in dark/bright purple or pink. just for fun and to tease my dh. tonight we went to the symphony- the rites of spring- and then out to eat with a friend in philly. lovely fun evening! i am almost ready to start my secret swap project! i'm very excited! but first i need to finish my wall hanging. nearly done, i think!

Blog Entries
    I haven't seen my natural hair color since I was about 13/14 years old - I was what was classified as tow-head when I was little - my hair would turn very light in the summer sun and darken back up in the winter months - I liked it better when it was lighter so I started coloring it - I had some OMG moments throughout the years doing it myself. I have super fine hair and it's straight as sticks - I refer to it as the seal-head look; it's very fly-away so it requires a lot of work to get it to style. I used to perm and because my hair is so fine it started to do some serious damage and I was advised to choose one, color or perm; the color won out. It will soon be white all on it's own with out any help from a bottle but until that time it's fun to play. nancia I think it would be great fun to do some faux pieces - I love the lavender and light blue colors - my daughter-in-law's sister wears them all the time. One of my girlfriends - she's 68 - stays very current and trendy with style - she likes wearing feathers and beads in her hair.

Hope you had a fun evening out at the symphony nancia - what a fun way to spend an evening.

Well, here it goes. First off, we had a good time. We did have some.....challenges. I got a run in my pantyhose putting them on. My dress has these loops at the waist. The halter straps you see in the picture are in a braid down my back, then separate, go through the loops at the waist, then tie in the back. Well, when I had the dress altered, they didn't do a good job of tacking down the loop on the left side, so when I went to put the dress on, one side of the loop came loose. It took time to find a safety pin, more time to get it not too terribly obviously put into place, and then my boyfriend was freaking out a bit about not being able to get his cummerbund to sit right because of his shape. After 15 minutes, I finally convinced him to just leave it off. We got to the 1 hour pre-dinner reception 45 minutes late, but it was a small space and crowded, so 15 minutes was plenty. Dinner was fabulous, the speeches were long with a few giggles thrown in, and we were done about 10pm. We mingled a bit, took a few couples pictures, then went for a couple drinks at the hotel bar with my boyfriend's boss (who is also his best friend) and his wife, which we never get to do. The sad part is, my favorite part of my outfit was my shoes, and I don't have a picture on here to share! I was sitting there during the speeches, when they got boring, looking at my pretty shoes, lol. I may have to share a picture of them too!

Name:  DSC06188-001.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  131.8 KB

Blog Entries
    thanks, dabbler. it was fun for sure. had some bbq, supposedly texan, but unlike any i had in texas. still very tasty. love brisket and ribs. lol. i am a huge fan of tex-mex!

geez, dusty'smom, you snuck in while i was still typing! you look great! now get a picture of your shoes. i LOVE shoes. passed that on to my daughter-- little did i know how expensive that was going to be!! her dad still doesn't understand the phenomenon of females and shoes! years ago i used to say i bought shoes because i couldn't make them. still don't know how to make them, and i still love buying them! time to figure out dinner and walk the dogs.

have a good night everyone!
    Last edited by nancia; 02-25-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Dustysmomma, you look fabulous and I too want to see a pic of your shoes. Glad your evening went well. And I love your hair color. I heard on the radio today that a woman spends a year out of her life putting on makeup. I am glad I have had that year for quilting because I have enever worn makeup. Gave up wearing lipstick because it was nicer to have DH kiss me and not have to worry about lipstick in the way. Still feel that way to this day. :-) So I just grow older and grayer with each passing year. Would rather spend money for something I want than on coloring my hair. I do splurge on perms, though. I too, have hair straight as a string. I need to get my SHDS item quilted and then will be ready to send off to swapmate. Hope to get it finished by next weekend or for sure the 8th of March...which by the way is our 45th anniversary! :-) Lucky me!
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast