Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Am I being to sensitive?? >

Am I being to sensitive??

Am I being to sensitive??

Old 07-17-2011, 12:45 AM

Would this be a bad idea? Send a note saying something like "I just want to let you know that the best way to launder the quilt I made for your baby is_______. I'm glad I had the time to make it because it took _______days/weeks to complete and I wanted it to be special for that special baby. Once I learned you like the monkey theme I searched for just the right fabric and thought long and hard how to incorporate it into the quilt. I'm glad you liked it." Would that wake them up or just be too in their face?

In my family, my mom who never stands for disrespect would be quick to tell the recipient that they are darn lucky to get such a precious and expensive-to-make gift and too bad they do not know how to make one themselves or they would know it's a wonderful gift. And that would straighten them out without me being involved cause I couldn't stop her if
I tried (which I wouldn't).

I have to forgive people who hurt me because that is what God expects of me. And I think your quilt is one of the cutest I've ever seen. How did you quilt it? Was it stitch in the ditch or flip and sew?
Old 07-17-2011, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
This is a fascinating thread for me because we don't have baby showers. They don't exist in my culture. So I am already thinking that hosting a party for the sole purpose of receiving gifts for a baby that you don't even get to see yet, and inviting some fairly distant connections (sorry) and then telling them your 'theme' (we don't do that either).... Well, I am already thinking THAT is odd, so I have to work against that to give a view on a situation which I know is in fact quite normal in other places.

But I do think that someone who has a 'theme' for a baby is perhaps less likely to appreciate handmade. In the unlikely event of my ever being invited to such a party, I would not have been changing the design of my already started, precious, made with
love, quilt, I would have been keeping it for someone who would appreciate it and making a stuffed monkey instead.

As to what happened, this woman's husband called your precious work 'another blanket'. This tells us that this man forgot his manners in a big way. We also don't have the culture of opening gifts in front of people, or at least not in front of people other than the person who gave it to you. A gift represents a personal, even intimate, interaction and to have it dealt with in public always risks offense, as your situation demonstrates very well.

If I was the expectant mother, I would be totally overwhelmed in
this situation. In fact, I can pretty much guarantee that I would be crying in my room, for all sorts of reasons. She is hormonal, on show, and being showered with gifts that her husband is not even letting her see properly as he jumps up and down on this box you mention- meanwhile she is facing worries about her unborn baby and the delivery. It sounds like hell on earth! How will she even know who gave what?!

I think the expectant grandmother's reaction to that fleece has hurt you a lot too. Is this woman's child married to your child? Then she needs to treat you with respect, and she didn't. (Who made that fleece? Was it one of her buddies? )

Just call me Dr Phil..... but this is not about the quilt. Families are hard. I totally understand why you feel bad, but that shower sounds like a situation where there are lots of forces at play that really are not about the quilt, so try not to make it about you. I hope you have a good relationship with your son in law and maybe having good relations with all his extended family is just too much to hope for, through no fault of yours. It is what it is.
I like your culture and the way you think. When my best friend had to go to a shower her sisters were so competitive over food they brought or things they gave that she always came home feeling badly because of the way they treated her. And she was such a nice lady. We can't control people's behaviors only our reactions to them. I would feel just like the lady does and maybe for the child's first birthday my gift would be a package of diapers. No fuss , no muss. I might just be out of town for that event. I'm mad at them for hurting the lady when she was so nice. Your culture is more sensitive to feelings I think. The end!
Old 07-17-2011, 01:04 AM

I know adults think monkeys are cute but I wonder what a child thinks when it wakes up and sees a monkey picture. I've always thought most monkeys were mean spirited and bit people who raised them.I'm more the flowers for girls trucks for boys type, but if anyone gave our family a quilt I'd be so appreciative no matter what their theme was.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:19 AM

I am sorry this happened to you. The quilt is a precious quilt and I think once they got it home & had a chance to look it over, I bet they will love it too. As was mentioned, they may have assumed it was a store bought blanket. And non-quilters just do nto know what all is involved in making a quilt. Try to let it roll off of your shoulders and just know that you did a wonderful job on a very cute quilt.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by dollycathy
The worst thing that ever happened to me like this is when a friend of mine was sick, I gave her a quilt made in her favourite colours to cheer her up, later on after she was better she told me that she didn't really like the quilt and hoped i didn't mind but she’d given it to the dog. Ah well at least he appreciated it he’s slept on it ever since maybe that’s who it was meant for all along.
Did you explain to her that that was not appropriate? Kids need to be educated in a nice way. If we don't, how will they learn? When I give kids candy or gifts, and they say "I don't like this," I say.. "It would be better to take it and give it to a friend,dear. It isn't nice to say you don't like a gift." Someone should have done manners 101 a long time ago with the people who got your quilt. Sometimes done with humor manners 101works even at a late age. Like when he said "another blanket" say "Honey, you say the sweetest things. And to think I slaved over a hot sewing machine for hours to create this for your little brat uh I meant precious child." Well, I had time to think up this response and you were shocked I'm sure to get that response from him. And I'm likely to offend with remarks when I am offended, unless I pray for
patience. :)
Old 07-17-2011, 02:50 AM

Very sweet,your not being too sensitive !!
Did you some how let it known you made it ?
Sure hope so !!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 05:58 AM

The quilt is just beautiful I don't think people realize all the work that goes into a a quilt.I would have felt the same way you did Hopefully they will see what a beautiful quilt they have
Old 07-17-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by zoeytoo
Would this be a bad idea? Send a note saying something like "I just want to let you know that the best way to launder the quilt I made for your baby is_______. I'm glad I had the time to make it because it took _______days/weeks to complete and I wanted it to be special for that special baby. Once I learned you like the monkey theme I searched for just the right fabric and thought long and hard how to incorporate it into the quilt. I'm glad you liked it." Would that wake them up or just be too in their face?

In my family, my mom who never stands for disrespect would be quick to tell the recipient that they are darn lucky to get such a precious and expensive-to-make gift and too bad they do not know how to make one themselves or they would know it's a wonderful gift. And that would straighten them out without me being involved cause I couldn't stop her if
I tried (which I wouldn't).

I have to forgive people who hurt me because that is what God expects of me. And I think your quilt is one of the cutest I've ever seen. How did you quilt it? Was it stitch in the ditch or flip and sew?
I LOVE your idea of sending a note letting them know how many hours went into making the quilt...don't think it would be "in their face", but just a polite reminder of how much time was spent on it and that they have a very special gift...
Old 07-17-2011, 06:25 AM

it's adorable!!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:29 AM

It seems to me that most people, especially those who know nothing of handwork or crafts, have no understanding of how work and love goes into a gift. Often they cannot tell the difference between something handmade and something mass produced.

If I were you, I would try to remember to include a note card on top of the quilt explaining that (it is handmade) you made it yourself and how to care for it. That should help the uninitiated to understand what is and what is not "truly worthy" of praise and gratitude. :thumbup: :thumbup: