Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
need some opinions on this border please! white flag here! :) >

need some opinions on this border please! white flag here! :)

need some opinions on this border please! white flag here! :)

Old 07-27-2012, 05:07 AM

I think a white border would be just right.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:12 AM

I really think that the border is too wide. Use the fibonacci number formula to determine the width of the border that is most pleasing. That is : divide the width of the smaller blocks by 1.6 and then keep dividing answer by by 1.6.
A nine inch block:
9/1.6=5 5/8; 5.625/1.6=3.5; 3.5/1.6=2.2 (round up to 2.25) etc. The answers 5.625, 3.5, 2.25 will provide border that is proportional and give the most pleasing effect. This formula works well for of deciding width of sashing and all borders.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:25 AM

That border really isn't right for that quilt. I like the idea of no border because that quilt speaks for itself.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:37 AM

My 2 cents: If you are questioning it now - you already know you really don't like it and once it is done, you won't like it any better. Stop. Take a break, Ask for help (Yeah, you did this!), And seriously, the quilt is talking to you!

First, a 2 inch border to frame your picture (quilt). My eye immediately goes to the center block background so why not pull that out to your border. Maybe then 2 inch wide piano keys - you did say you have scraps, just not anything big enough for one lg border. Large sismply piano keys most always enchance a sample quilt and are a playground for the final quilting.

You've done a fantastic job creating this materpiece - now you just need a beautiful frame! We want to see it when finished.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:42 AM

I don't think either fabric does anything for the quilt which by the way is beautiful. I think a solid darker shade of blue would enhance the quilt itself.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:54 AM

I love your quilt -- but do not go forward til you find the border you like. I'm not sure of either of them....... Its like the border is too wide then I look at the colors and one looks better that the other then I don't like either. Think about it ... I know you have been but don't get hasty your quilt it too BEAUTIFUL to not like your border ! Please post when you decide.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:08 AM

I like the quilt but think it could use a border around the blue to match the center background which would bring out all your blocks. I have made 2 quilts using up all my numerous fabrics in the quilt by cutting them into 3x5 strips and sewing them together lengthwise. Then I added my a border of my blocks background which was muslin and another border of the 3x5 strips. It was a little more trouble than the large 12 strip you are considering but both quilts were so effective. One quilt was plate in many shades of purple/greens with appliqued florals strips around 3 sides and the other was a very scrappy Dresden duplicated. I so enjoyed making these that I am considering doing another only using Christmas fabrics.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:15 AM

I am having the same problem with a quilt I made. Just adding a border to make it big enough looks bad. I think a scrappy border of some kind, but not sure what
Old 07-27-2012, 06:17 AM

That is a stupendous quilt! The border fabric doesn't add anything to it, but does stand apart from the beauty of your quilt. I think your gut is telling you right, to find another fabric to enhance it as it's obvious how much love, time and work you have put into this quilt.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
In all seriousness, I really LOVE that first picture. It's almost as if the quilt is sitting within another (giant) block. It's different, yet is of the same spirit. The more I look at it, the more I like it!!! It just seems to belong. My vote is for the first one.

I see the majority, so far, disagrees with me. LOL Well, I tend to think outside the box, so am used to that. Since your sashings are all rather plain, I think a solid border would be a bit . . . well, plain. For me, the floral border brings it alive. Maybe a narrow, dark blue border, between the two . . . but I'd definitely keep that floral!
Neesie, I'm so glad you were brave enough to come out and say this, because I actually like it too. My reason is that it pulls out the blue blocks.

Terri. I don't know if you mean for it to be that wide of a border. If it were mine I probably would break it up (two different widths) with a darker strip between. I know you said that it's all you have now. Maybe just set it aside for a little while so you can get that darker fabric. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Good luck. The top is beautiful.