Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
need some opinions on this border please! white flag here! :) >

need some opinions on this border please! white flag here! :)

need some opinions on this border please! white flag here! :)

Old 07-26-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Terri, I hope you don't mind that I tried a little copy and paste of your quilt in Windows Paint to see what it would look like with a dark blue or a light inner border and the fabric you have there. I don't know which I'd like better, but maybe this will help you to decide what you'd like to do. It seems to me that either one would look great. For the inner border I used the"eyedropper" tool to pick up colors that are in your fabrics. The piecing you have done there is wonderful! I have to admit I didn't think that border fabric would work at all until I saw it like this, with an inner border to help it relate to the rest of the quilt.
IMO, the dark inner border is definitely better.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:17 AM

Ok, now thats much better, Im talking about the photo shopped quilt with the small solid borders before the print. I like both of those. The white is my favorite.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:27 AM

Do you have some of the fabrics from your blocks left? If you do, why not make a piano key, flying geese or hst's border? You could use the smaller floral print as a flat piping, then one of the above and then use one of the blue prints for the binding if you have enough. Do you have any of the background of the applique left? It could make a small border, too.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:36 PM

IMHO, I think that fabric competes with the interior blocks. I think a finer design or a muted color would serve as a better frame for something that has had so much work put into it. If it's a matter of economy, wait until you can afford the perfect border fabric. It'll be worth the wait. ALWAYS follow your first instinct which was "ARE YOU SERIOUS? NO WAY!" Thanks for sharing such a beautiful quilt.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:42 AM

I believe in finding more fabric to finish it as you'll be happier with the outcome. Take it to a LAQ and audition some fabric possibilities there! Perhaps some scrappy fabrics similar to the center, (i.e.: yellow/red prints) for an inner border and outer border no more than equivalent to the existing sashing width for the inner and 4x width for the outer. Create a contrast to the blue sashing that's in the quilt and complement to something that is in the quilt. Cream (as in the center) with one of these existing center colors/fabrics would work. If border fabrics aren't identical, it's not a big deal but I'd keep the colors a close match, not too busy but not solids either.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:50 AM

I like the first border. I think it sets off the quilt quite well. You do have a solid sashing between all the blocks, and the print border fits in real well. By the way, I do like the way you have different sized blocks. That is neat.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:51 AM

[QUOTE=terri bb;5393186]no Tartan it has to be that wide to make it fit. i dont have enough of anything to make another border. but while i was doing dishes i just ran in here wiping my hands on my shirt and thinking hey! tell me what you think a cream color border would look like with some appliqued flowers, etc here and there on it would look like? im taking the binding and scrapping it like the quilt so i will bring in some outer color. whatcha think???? a woman's best work is while daydreaming out the kitchen window! okay well this might not be a good idea but i can throw it in. your ideas are all fabulous thank you so much!

I was just getting ready to type my own two cents worth and when I read this I thought, "Why bother" because it's precisely what I was going to type. I would use something similar to whatever it was you used as the background for the large center motif. To me it's like matting a picture. I like to use a light border because then my "mental eye" gives the impression the picture goes on and on and I can just use my imagination to expand the view.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:08 AM

I think a 3 in strip of the white you used in the center then bind it with the blue that is in your flowers from the center
Old 07-27-2012, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by geneva317 View Post
Why not throw together a scrappy looking border to coordinate with all those beautiful colors and offset the blue a little?
I agree, I vote for some type of scrappy boarder...do not like that first picture with that border...I opt for a smaller boarder and scrappy, scrappy...unless you really need that 12" border....then I'd add 2 borders, one solid one scrappy and the first 2" and the second 10"....post pics when you decide....that's a stunning quilt!!
Old 07-27-2012, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by terri bb View Post
no Tartan it has to be that wide to make it fit. i dont have enough of anything to make another border. but while i was doing dishes i just ran in here wiping my hands on my shirt and thinking hey! tell me what you think a cream color border would look like with some appliqued flowers, etc here and there on it would look like? im taking the binding and scrapping it like the quilt so i will bring in some outer color. whatcha think???? a woman's best work is while daydreaming out the kitchen window! okay well this might not be a good idea but i can throw it in. your ideas are all fabulous thank you so much!
You've had a lot of suggestions. But I like your idea of a solid border with appliqued flowers. Except instead of cream I would use the binding color you've used in the rest of the quilt. I think it would tie it in and the appliqued flowers would look smashing! Love your quilt but hate that border choice. When the picture came up I thought she must have been making this quilt since the early 80's I look forward to seeing the finished quilt.

Last edited by kristen0112; 07-27-2012 at 04:29 AM.