2016 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-25-2016, 05:47 AM

Paper princess love your dragonflies. What wonderful colors. I like the idea of your game Martina.
tk I completely understand the jonesing for fabric. A couple of weeks ago I felt the urge myself. I went through some fabric to see what I could donate and found two pieces I forgot about hiding in the closet. Made me realize I don't need anymore right now and I let the "sale" pass without one item. Did purchase a remnant the other day so 1 1/3 yards for the year.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:57 AM

PaperPrincess: the Dragon Flies are so neat. So fresh looking for spring and really enjoy the little stars at the intersections. Sew fun to sew with friends.

I'm doing ok. I did succumb to the 60 per cent off coupon from JoAnns, but I used it on W&N batting to finish up some UFOs. I'm slogging through machine quilting a T/berries top and realize I'm a piecer at heart! I'm so happy to shop my stash, too for Project Linus quilts. When you forget what is in the PL storage tub, what fun to open it and remember!! (This is such a crazy age-stage I'm in!!). Sew on, Quilters!
Old 02-25-2016, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
This sounds like the voice of experience.
I have not implemented that wise idea for myself. Figured if I throw it out there and someone else tries it I could use their strength as my inspiration.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:06 PM

Love the dragonflies Paper Princess.

Not only do I have JoAnn coupons, but we have a Hobby Lobby between here and the barn where we keep our horses. The Hobby Lobby has the best remnant bin I've seen--they really mark the fabric down and often have some Kona cotton solids in there....be still my beating heart!!!!!

Still no fabric purchased in 2016, but it's not being easy LOL!

Rob
Old 02-25-2016, 10:12 PM
Power Poster

Went to pick up our taxes today....neat LQS in the town...bought 4 yards of fabric...it'll make beautiful valances in our LR...We've been in this house 8 years...time to put curtains up.........how's that for a pass, Martina?....oh also bought FQ for $1.50 and a yard of doll fabric for $3 a yard...have a project in mind...
Old 02-26-2016, 02:48 AM
Power Poster

February was another fairly successful month for my moratorium. A friend at work has decided she wants to learn to sew, so, taking in scraps, pieces to work on/ give lessons during the slow moments of the wee hours she is hand piecing 3 1/2" blocks ( put together a kit for her with 25 coordinating fat 8ths - 3 1/8 yards of scraps gone!)
she used her machine ( has had for years, never learned to wind bobbin- until now) and made a baby quilt for an expecting coworker (56 6" squares) another yard+gone, 2 pillowcases, 2 more yards, then last week I gave her fabrics to make a patchwork quilt at home with her granddaughter ( 6" squares plus 108" X4" strips) total 3 yards ) so, just helping her cleared out 9+ yards of scraps! I continue to work on my Millifiore, using scraps, I paper pieced 6 coasters for my POM swap partner, I used 6 yards of fabric for a new appliquéd quilt plus 2 yards of 108" wide for backing -- all from my stash. ( which turned out Beautiful! Blue & white, can't wait to show it off!) I'm going to start cutting a new quilt ( test pattern) that uses - calls for- 7 1/2 yards of scraps! I'm making a dent! So far I've only had to buy thread. when I loaded up the blue & white quilt I told my hubby I was out of white thread....he said (" how can you call yourself a quilter & not have white thread?") I placed an order & stocked up-- only to run out of navy-- after the order was placed....so, anyway, about 18 yards of fabric gone from my shelves in February ! Yea!
Old 02-26-2016, 05:06 AM

Great idea on the jar. I'm going to do that the very next time I'm jonesing. This time a wrong turn saved me and I went home rather than back track to the store. Whatever works in a crisis right? I just finished fmq'ing a table runner so now I'm on to making a new binding for an old blanket. I had bought one last year but it had worn out already. And a new one was 8 bucks at JoAnn's so my friend suggested that I make one from my quilting fabric. So I'm doing 8 inch strips on a gorgeous striped floral pattern for the binding. It's a nice little project while I'm catching my breath between doing two hand work quilts. One is a Victorian Crazy Quilt and one is a Lighted Christmas Wreath wall hanging. So 1 1/3 yards used on the blanket, 2/3 yard used on the Wall Hanging backing. It's a start. And at least I'm not still moving in the wrong direction.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:59 AM
Banned

I am hoping to get rid of some of my older fabrics SOON
(or as soon as I can show some progress in my sorting).

However I have fallen off the wagon some this month which
is why I am hoping to get rid of some of the older stuff.

But ANYTHING that doesn't make me smile when I see it
again (after years of being stuffed into the bins) is going.
No sense in keeping unappealing fabrics.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:09 PM

Went thru a bunch of old fabric and passed it on sorted and stored what was left. Only have been to one fabric store since Dec that I bought something. I bought 4 fat quarters toward a future project and replaced a panel that I some how lost and cannot find. I am liking the money I am saving.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:15 PM

yes the money saving is necessary here.