Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27 36 37 38 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Fabric Moratorium

Great job everyone on your buys and others for not buying. Madquilter, you did not but enough on your trip.
    LOL. I bought some fabric.

I went off the wagon last week. Went to a lqs that I haven't been to in a while. They now have lots of batiks. I will have to go there more often. I bought 5 yards of background batiks and 10-FAQs batiks all on sale, 15-25% off. I plan to use most of this fabric for a new QAL that started last week. I'm only 1 weeks behind. It's Debbie's - fall evening QAL. We have a thread here on this site that was started this week. It's a weekly QAL. 1/2 of the fabric was from my stash. So a 50/50 on this project.

On my birthday month I plan to buy fabric for a crafty BOM 2017. I really like the quilt top. Free pattern. Some of the smaller fabric will come from my stash. Again batiks.

I'm still going through my sewing room, reorganizing, moving numerous boxes downstairs. Found lots of UFO's and PIB (bags and boxes), lots of fabric with patterns that were not started, but I want to start. Curious, what do you do with quilt magazines in good condition that you don't want any more? I'm trying to downsize and really don't want to throw them away. Some are over 20 years old. I have boxes of scrap fabric. Fabric I really like. This year I'm going to start making more scrap quilts from these scraps. While going through my sewing room I noted I need more backing fabric for my projects. I figure I'll be done within a week. So back to sewing I will go. Yea!!!

have fun sewing and staying on/off the wagon everyone.

Blog Entries
    Here's a hand, happylab!

I am thinking the same thing on magazines...I have premier issue of Am Patchwork& Quilting. I plan on taking mine to the library...they will put them out on their "free" pile. They go fast at my local library. Books I may take to quild and see if anyone wants and ...next stop the library. But do you go through the magazines first before you send them off or just bite the bullet and say "goodbye"?
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Blog Entries
    Heaven help me. I am going to another retreat next weekend at that wonderful quilt shop. I don't even have any intention of being strong. lol
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    I shopped my stash to make Bonnie Hunter's 2016 Mystery Quilt, En Provence. THEN a bunch of us in a Bonnie Group, shopped other's stash. I did have to end up buying some purples, but only 2 fat quarters. It's in flimsy form. I'm trying hard to "use it up" after a post I saw in an Online Quilt Guild about a quilter who left so much fabric it took a several of days to sell. AND they kids were selling @ $1.00 a yd. I don't want to be the "$1.00 a Yd Mother". I want to leave just enough that my grand daughters might want to keep it.
    When I bring a guild kit home there is usually enough focus fabric to make a 2nd smaller quilt. SO I use MY stash and make another, without buying a thing.
    I'm really trying.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

I fell off last week when my LQS had 50% off certain fabrics but if I took everything left on the bolt, it was $5 a yard. So I got nice fabric to use in baby quilts and backing for $60=a little over 11 yards plus tax.

Now I just need to STAY HOME and sew! Lol! I keep telling myself that my favorite teachers/schools won't need me to sub much now but it hasn't worked. . I am blessed to have this part time job, though, and blessed to work with staff that appreciate me.

Connie

Blog Entries
    I'm so bad I haven't even brought the bags from the trip inside my room. They are starting to build a barricade in front of the door.
    Martina

Too funny Martina. Wish you luck wrestling your way in.
    That is a good deal Connie and happylab - hard to pass up. Just climb back on the wagon.
    Well the birthday month is closing and I did pretty well. I only bought backing fabric which doesn't count but next weekend is the local quilt show so I'm sure I will then find something that needs to come home with me.
    Erin

Blog Entries
    I'm skipping the area shop hop with 20% off. My excuse and savior...work! Love to see all the projects folks come in looking for just the right fabrics.

Martina...just don't let the bags get too high that you can't get into sew!!!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Great going, folks. Kudos to those who stayed the course and admiration to those who showed constraint. To those who went overboard -- I'm in your camp.
    September was my birthday month and earlier in the month JoAnns had FQs for 70% off plus 70% off their quilters basic fabrics. Plus I had a 25% coupon on everything. FQs ended up 56 cents each -- I purchased 16. Then I filled in the lacks in my stash with 5 two yard cuts. I added a few spools of thread. My total was $34.00. Not bad at all.

But the real find was a 15 yard bolt of tea dyed muslin on Amazon for $3.44. Yup. $3.44 for the whole bolt. I figured it was definitely mis-priced and kept waiting for the seller to cancel the order. But I got notice this week that it had shipped and should be here Thursday. That will make 4 or 5 quilt backings. I'm doing the happy dance and now wished I'd ordered two bolts at that price.

Great buy belfrybat and Connie.

madquilter, have fun at your retreat. Let us know what you get sewn and bought.

I need 5-6, 1/2 yard pieces of background batiks for my project I'm starting. It's a BOW, I'm 2 weeks behind. That sewing room organization is slowing me down. So frustratingly fun. Maybe I'm am stretching out this project b/c I like going through my previous thought out projects. It's like Christmas or my birthday for me. LOL ��. Having so much fun and it's relaxing too.

Oh I forgot to mention, I pulled together Christmas fabric for a another quilt sampler from an old BOW that just ended. It will take me a few months to make. 100% from stash. I'll post pics off and on. I'm curious how it will look, since I'm substituting fabric. I'm excited about getting is started and finished. FYI it's not batiks. LOL ��

Do you go through the magazines first before you send them off or just bite the bullet and say "goodbye"?[/QUOTE]

oh yes, I have to go through all of my magazines. I was able to fine several QAL's, projects I want to start making next year from my stash. I find I really like quiltmaker and American patchwork and quilting. They have intermediate to hard projects. The mags I plan to keep I'm going to file them by name and date. I'll see how that works.

Haven't been on in awhile while I have not been really bad I have not really been that good either! Most of what I bought did have a project in mind but a couple random things from thrift stores and fabric stores have followed me home. With the holidays coming I do need to be really good now and the only things I plan to buy is batting always seem to be running out and some backings. That will hopefully finish out some UFO's that I am trying to finish for Christmas. Something I have been trying to do for the last three years lol.

Blog Entries
    This week, I've cut 5+ yards in borders for a QOV and setting squares and triangles for a BH scrappy quilt. Does that negate the 4 yards I bought yesterday while taking a side trip to a LQS on a farm errand run?...only had to veer off the route a half a block!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

September was my birthday month. Part of my birthday exemption included a 15 yd. bolt of tea dyed muslin from Amazon for the whopping price of $3.44. It arrived today. I just checked the site and the same item is now over $40.00. Did I get a great bargain or what?
    Name:  Muslin.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  137.1 KB

Blog Entries
    That is quite the deal on the muslin. I wonder about the quality though since it is called "LIGHT"

I just made 20 blocks for a signature swap from stash. It always surprises me how much fabric goes into something so simple. Used up most of 3 fabrics from stash.
    Martina

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    This week, I've cut 5+ yards in borders for a QOV and setting squares and triangles for a BH scrappy quilt. Does that negate the 4 yards I bought yesterday while taking a side trip to a LQS on a farm errand run?...only had to veer off the route a half a block!
    Absolutely, you used 5+ yards and replaced 4, so you're still down by 1 yard! In fact, since you weren't really ADDING to your stash, just REPLACING those 4 yards, one might think that you have shown admirable restraint in staying on the wagon while reducing your stash.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

Wow! Great deal Belfrybat!!!!!
    Brother PQ1500s

The muslin appears to have the same weight and thread count as broadcloth, so should be fine for backing.
    Since it says "pre-shrunk permanent press" I'm not sure if I should wash before use or not. T'would be nice not to have to wash and iron it.

Bought 2 yd fabric today. I'm collecting icy colors for a winter quilt.

Blog Entries
    SO I took a Kaffe Fassett jelly roll to retreat with me to work on. Of course I didn't have the right color background and bought 3 yards. Welllll, I sort of messed up on my cutting and instead of cut all the pieces for the 56 blocks in the pattern, I made enough for 80 blocks. Decided to go with a 9x9 and made one more. This means that I now needed to buy 3 more yards of background fabric. ....and since it was Kaffe, I decided to get the border fabric ahead of the game. 13 yards (total) later.......

Then we were given a panel to finish for Quilts for Kids - very pastelly and I have NOTHING to work with it. But the FQ bundle in blues and greens and peaches was the perfect color to go with the panel.

Oh the list goes on. I could pretend to be ashamed and hang my head but I think you could all tell by my big grin that I'd be lying. It was a blast (the retreat and the shopping).
    Martina

THUNK!!!! OUCH!!!! That's the sound of me falling off the wagon, the wagon backing up and running over me. I love blue for Christmas and it has been hard to find the past couple of years. Have you seen the new collection from Connecting Threads called Glacier Peak? Wowza! So, I brought myself a Christmas present. I did show constraint and only purchased 1-1/2 yards each of the two focus fabrics and 1 yard of six supporting colours. Oh, plus a wall hanging kit. But the fabric is gorgeous and other than my birthday exemption, this is the first purchase this year that wasn't to fill in on an existing project. Did I tell you how absolutely fabulous this fabric is?

In my defense, I just finished 5 more UFOs which used up 21 yards from stash. I need to figure up how many yards I've used from stash this year, but I think its close to 75.
    Last edited by Belfrybat; 10-19-2017 at 05:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    Belfry...I think you are doing great! I would be hard pressed to pass the blue Christmas fabric as well. And yes it's hard to find!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I understand Belfry. They are wonderful. We'll see how long I resist them. I guess I still have a birthday exemption. Went to a quilt show and didn't buy any fabric at the beginning of the month. It amazed me a bit that I didn't actually.
    Erin

Here’s a virtual bandaid and a hand back up on the wagon Belfrybat! I had a similar fall recently when I purchased an entire bolt of muslin so I could start a couple of new projects using some new (to me) techniques I’ve been wanting to try (I didn’t get nearly as good a deal as you did though). Since I really only needed three yards (1 for the two new projects and 2 to make covers for my quilts that are rolled around pool noodles) 15 yards was probably excessive—. But it will get used and it’s very lovely muslin...

Rob
    Brother PQ1500s

Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27 36 37 38 LastLast