Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What to make for . . . ? >

What to make for . . . ?

What to make for . . . ?

Old 09-25-2019, 08:14 PM

Our meals are always based on what DH's system will tolerate that particular day. We are both diabetic, but his needs much stricter control than mine does. He takes a shot weekly, plus several daily meds. The first couple of days he can suffer gastric/stomach distress. He's also somewhat lactose intolerant, and never quite sure what he can tolerate. Eggs can get him, and pork is off the list, as is anything greasy. He also loves "sticks and twigs" type cereals, and hot cereals. Me, not so much. It's always a guessing game. He suggests something, and I make it, and adjust/alter so I can enjoy it also. Many times he just wants toast or rice pudding, so then I can "go rouge" and make myself whatever. We rarely eat out, but I am active on a couple of committees, and have a group of gals I see often, so I get to eat out at least weekly, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Don't miss the daily deciding what to make...I like having that decision made for me.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:43 PM

Another solo cook here. My son moved out for the third time in June. He did all the baking for the last couple years and although I do not each much baking I do miss a fresh out of the oven cookie.

I have evening classes 3 days a week. One of those days I am away from home from 8 am until 10 pm. I find it had to pack three meals. I pack my breakfast to eat once I arrive at school. I will pack a sandwich and veggies for one meal and then buy a hot lunch from the Culinary Arts program. It costs about $10 for a really good lunch.

Yesterday I bought sandwich fixings and meat for three sandwiches. Last night I made up two of the sandwiches as it is easier to have them ready to grab. I buy grapes and portion them out too.

Tonight I had squash, baked potatoes, green salad and a couple lamb sausages. I will eat the left overs tomorrow, when I get home from my late class. Saturday I am making a big batch of spaghetti sauce. I will eat it for two days, then freeze the rest. I also plan to cook a pot roast on Sunday. I have to be away from home all day and will need hot food when I get back.

Other than my lunches on Wednesdays, I will eat out 2-3 times a month. Often with a friend.

I eat the same breakfast every day. Homemade granola, with fresh or frozen fruit and berries.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:20 AM

Still playing daily market runs to determine what is for dinner. Yesterday we got lovely packages of tuna steaks and a salmon fillet so looks like fish for dinner. But here's the next thing I'm making for the Vegan Kids:
https://jamiegeller.com/recipes/isra...kets-bourekas/

Turns out many varieties of frozen puff pastry are vegan! These are just little mushroom turnovers, no egg wash or butter but that should be fine. Crimini are the brown basic mushrooms, can pretty much use any mushroom I would think.

I bought a bag of Bob's Red Mill Veggie Soup mix (lentils and beans and stuff) to go with them. The other day I made a vegan mac & cheese with nutritional yeast (also by Bob's Red Mill) and think I could adapt that to make a green bean casserole that can be enjoyed by all.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:16 PM

Report on the Bourekas -- tasty little snacks, easy enough to do. Batch made 18, I froze 16 and cooked 2 to try. Wish I could have more carbs in my life The recipe is about twice as much as you need for one box of Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry, one 8 oz container of mushrooms would be fine. I put in one of those packages of red pepper flakes they have for pizza for my "pinch of red pepper" and while you can taste it in the mixture solo, not much heat comes through when you have it in the puff.

It's ok because hubby will think the mushroom mixture is delicious and will eat it like butter on steak and mushrooms are just fine in keto-land... Otherwise, they had a bag of large marked down large portabello caps I picked up and I'll squirt those with a little worchestershire sauce and fill with the mushroom filling and cook on the grill when we do the fish tonight, I'd finely shred some spinach and add that if I had any.

I'll try some other versions, maybe dates, harissa, and pine nuts?? Like I say, everyday is a magical adventure in my kitchen

Soup is good, package has you add vegan milk and flour at the end but I used some Vegan Better Than Bouillon instead of just water and made it more like a regular vegtable soup.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:29 PM

I make a lot of chili, soup and pulled pork in my multiport/slow cooker setting. Since it is just the two of us, I freeze some and share some with DD. She then shares meals with us. When I am not in the mood to cook/reheat we do take out. DH is diabetic so I limit the take out and carbs. Would love to eat out more but he has mobility issues and some of the things we like to eat don't do well as take out.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:50 AM

Today's offering from the mark-down section will be "Lovers Eggplant" one of my favorite Asian dishes. Not vegan because of the oyster sauce but so good. The eggplants should be the long skinny ones or the little egg sized ones, not the usual dark purple ones.
http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...9&slug=1705638

I picked up a big bag of eggplants at the local Asian market when I was there getting the sesame seeds. To go with it I have some top round I can stir fry. The hubby is really liking things spicy now, much hotter than I like but I can do a basic fry for me and then a hot pepper/sauce addition at the end for him.