Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-11-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by hulahoop1
Originally Posted by Annaquilts
A pounce to stencil. I can't get it to work for me. I even bought a lot of the special stencils with it and I can not use those for other things. Some people love a pounce so maybe I am doing it wrong?

Well I am seeing people liking and using some stuff that others thought useless. Maybe time to sell some stuff?
The pounce was one of the first things I bought and have never gotten it to work the way they say it's supposed to. It was a total waste for me.

I havn't figured out my pouncer either. When I have used it, I can't see the chalk very well and it seems to wipe off too easily.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:57 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by PattyS
I love my Alto Cut. I have a paralyzed Left hand and found being able to hold the fabric down under the bar and place my hand on ruler I can use rotary cutter to cut fabric. To keep ruler from sliding I put little grippee pieces on the bottom. It works for some but now that I have found the Accuquilt GO I am a happy camper. Some of the older quilters also don't like to change the way they have been doing things over years.
Thanks for the imput..I have arthritis issues so maybe this will be a good device for me. It is hard to hold down the fabric AND cut!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:04 AM

you know - i bought a pounce thingie and i don't even hand quilt!! - now why did i do that?? i must confess, i am a gadget junkie.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:06 AM

Another thing I've not been able to use very well is the Aunt Becky's Finger Protector. I've watched the movie clip dozens of times and still can't get the hang of it.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:08 AM

now that you mention it - i've got one of those too! go figure - duh
Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 AM

The spray baste helps keep the quilt in place until you baste it - not instead of basting. Also, if you've never used the rotary cutter and ruler - go ahead and try it - I think it's the BEST thing since sliced bread!(OK , better than sliced bread!) But be careful of cutting over pins and needles or the blade will dull, and you WILL hate it. Change the blade when you start to skip bits of fabric. If I had to cut every quilt with scissors and templates, I'd have found something else to do!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I have a small cutting mat on a lazy Susan - never used it effectively.
I have one too. I don't use the lazy susan part very much--it seems quicker for me to flip my block, but the size of the mat is perfect to use on my ironing board when I am squaring up quilt blocks. The base seems to make it more stable. Most of my blocks are less than 12" in size.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
The spray baste helps keep the quilt in place until you baste it - not instead of basting. Also, if you've never used the rotary cutter and ruler - go ahead and try it - I think it's the BEST thing since sliced bread!(OK , better than sliced bread!) But be careful of cutting over pins and needles or the blade will dull, and you WILL hate it. Change the blade when you start to skip bits of fabric. If I had to cut every quilt with scissors and templates, I'd have found something else to do!
There is no way in h_l that I would cut with the scissors and templates.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
Originally Posted by Bobbin along
Originally Posted by sewTinker
When I was Brand New to quilting, I saw a quilter on Simply Quilts use a kind of "ruler" that is essentially a big square with cutting slits every two inches. You square your fabric and lay this on it and then rotary cut through the slits. I used it once unsuccessfully - it required more coordination than apparently I possess. Perhaps with practice I could master it... Meanwhile, it sits propped behind my cutting table. for 10 years. lol...
Oh yeah--don't know what it is called, but it is my "go-to" tool whenever I need to cut strips--they are always straight! Dig that thing out and give it another try! :thumbup:
I bought one and the first time I used it, I cut wrong. Need to be more mindful of the measurements. :hunf:
I use this item to cut strips all the time and absolutely love it. I have made a miss cut on a few occasions due to not paying attention, but then I have been known to do that with a regular ruler.

MLT
Old 11-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by featherweight
There is no way in h_l that I would cut with the scissors and templates.

:-D :-D Nor me! I'm beginning to think that way about the rotary cutter and ruler cutting now that I use the Go die cut machine. :wink: