Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >
  • Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

• Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 11-29-2015, 08:23 AM

Love your turquoise AmyBible! What are your other colors?
    Old 11-29-2015, 09:25 AM

Woo Hoo! I have all of my HST made for Clue 1. I used Triangulations, but there's a site where you can get a similar type pattern for FREE at Quilting and WhatNot. If you want more variety than 24 HST at a time, you can cut the paper in half, in strips or even into sets of two to sew. I got all of mine made in about 3 hours.
    Old 11-29-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by MarthaT
    This will be my second mystery with Bonnie. Looking forward to seeing what you all are doing along the way. Went to my small stash. Guess I need to use my reds, as it's the only one of the colors I have much of. Used most of my blacks and neutrals up last year for her GIMQ. I'm only doing a lap sized as I sure don't need any more full-sized quilts!
    I want to do a lap size or so too, don't need and can't do a larger one. So going to following along as best I can.
    Old 11-29-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by ladydukes
    Woo Hoo! I have all of my HST made for Clue 1. I used Triangulations, but there's a site where you can get a similar type pattern for FREE at Quilting and WhatNot. If you want more variety than 24 HST at a time, you can cut the paper in half, in strips or even into sets of two to sew. I got all of mine made in about 3 hours.
    Thanks for where to find a downloadable version. I used magic 8 this go round I had not heard about this method until I was finished sewing. I will try this method for our next go round w/ hst enmass. (b/c I don't think we've seen the end of our little buddy!!!!! lol lol lol) This seems like it would speed the trimming up tremendously, that is what took so long w/ the M8.
    Old 11-29-2015, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Ugh... how dumb was I??? I just got my order from Thousands of Bolts. I like them because they have such a huge selection of FQs. I ordered 10 FQs to help round out my color groups for Allietaire, plus the yard and a half of gray. Out of the 10 FQs, I can only use 4. Three of my "blacks" ended up being GREENs, and another one is a BROWN. One of my golds is too greenish and another one is too dark... like a tan. And that yard and a half of gray? It's TAUPE! Totally wrong. So, I will put these aside and will go shopping at a brick and mortar fabric shop. Learned my lesson.

i hate that when that happens. Is it our monitors that distort the color? At any rate, I'm with you. Better to go shopping at a B&M store.
    Old 11-29-2015, 10:28 AM

Ladies look at this ingenious method of hst assembly. I had not heard about it until a few minutes ago

http://jmday.com/?p=594
    Old 11-29-2015, 10:49 AM

I've had a very productive morning. I slept GREAT, Nyquil really is a wonder drug. I'm not sure what size I'm making yet but have cut somewhere between half and all of the HST. I'm off to take a shower and then I'm going to start sewing. Has anyone figured out how much of the neutrals this clue uses? I'm just looking for a percentage, I think that's ok to post, right? As long as we don't post yardage.... I'm just curious and thought maybe someone had already figured this out. Thanks!
    Old 11-29-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by baronreads
    I've had a very productive morning. I slept GREAT, Nyquil really is a wonder drug. I'm not sure what size I'm making yet but have cut somewhere between half and all of the HST. I'm off to take a shower and then I'm going to start sewing. Has anyone figured out how much of the neutrals this clue uses? I'm just looking for a percentage, I think that's ok to post, right? As long as we don't post yardage.... I'm just curious and thought maybe someone had already figured this out. Thanks!
    The fabric requirements stated 5 1/2 yards of neutrals. I used less than 2/3 of a yard on this clue #1, only about 12% of the total, so we have LOTS more neutrals to go!! I am using the 2" strip method with the easy angle ruler so there is almost no waste. And I have read that Bonnie's fabric estimates are generous, so there are lots of variables.

Last edited by Jeanne S; 11-29-2015 at 11:22 AM.
    Old 11-29-2015, 11:50 AM

Thanks Jeanne! I knew​ someone would know!

With that being said, if you're going "scrappy" do you add in neutrals as you go? Or do you start with the specific number you're using from the beginning and for each step use a mix of those? Does that make sense? I'm just thinking that some of the scraps I'm using to start I may run out of before I'm done with neutrals....

Last edited by baronreads; 11-29-2015 at 11:53 AM.
    Old 11-29-2015, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by thart795
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]534859[/ATTACH] I have my fabrics and rulers ready to go!
    Love, love, love the gray.