Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What makes a shop "worth" going to???? >

What makes a shop "worth" going to????

What makes a shop "worth" going to????

Old 08-14-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
Friendly helpful staff that sincerely greet you, ask if you need help, and then give you a little space to shop to your heart's content. Good lighting - natural lighting from windows is best. Fabric arranged nicely to inspire creativity. A little something always on sale.
Well said! If staff doesn't act like they care whether you shop or not...forget it...but I don't like being smothered either.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:54 PM

I am blessed to live in an area where there are several shops. I just found a new one actually that I love. It's because its feels friendlier even though it is not as organized. I was not watched the whole time and asked more than once if I needed assistance. Once is enough and if you are watched and asked again then you feel like they are suspicous of you being there. Not good business practice in my opinion. I also love my local Hancocks, the manager knows my face even though it is always busy she acknowledges me when I walk in. Hmm, maybe I go there a bit to much. lol
Old 08-14-2012, 03:05 PM

I like a good selection, changing variety of fabric. I stop going to a store if they don't have a good turnover and I keep seeing the same fabric every trip. I like lots of patterns and books, projects to see ( they should be changing ,too, and not the same all the time). I like the staff to be interested and friendly, but I generally don't need a lot of help, so hovering makes me crazy. I have a real weakness for specialty rulers, but I mostly buy common rulers and rotary cutter blades with a coupon from Joann's.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:56 PM

I'm doing a powerpoint shop hop for my guild this fall. I've visited 95 shops in Michigan this last year. It's amazing how each one is so different I've been to large stores and very small stores. To me the size is not important. the lighting is important to me inorder to really see the colors of the fabric. Is the staff friendly or do they follow you around like you are going to walk out with a bolt of fabric? Is the shop orderly? I hate going to a shop where you find fabric cluttered and all over the cutting table. Do they have quilts hanging to inspire me with new ideas. Most of the shops I've gone to have been very nice and I would go back again and again. i think I've found some of the smaller shops have been the best. I do hope my guild likes our "shop hop".
Old 08-14-2012, 05:16 PM

I recently visited a quilt shop while on vacation. I fell in love with the store. Yes, they had beautiful fabrics, lots of beautiful fabric. But, what I fell in love with was the customer friendly atmosphere. Easy parking, I was greeted immediatly on entering. Not just a hello. But, welcome and have you been here before. She explained the layout of the store, where everything could be found and to let them know if I needed anything. Then I was left to browse. I spent an hour there. About every 15 minutes someone asked if I needed any help. When I was ready to check out, they were super friendly but not overbearing. I liked that my order was entered into the computer so that if I got home and found I needed more I could call and they would ship it. Sorry this is so long but it is all about customer service. I know that anytime I am in the area I will go back. By the way, the store is Quilting by the Bay, Panama City, Fl.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:59 PM

Customer service, for sure. I want someone that is knowledgeable and willing to help when I request it. When I decided to do my first quilt, I took a picture of the block I wanted to do and and the inspiration fabric I planned to fussy cut for the center of the block. I did not have a clue as to how much of each fabric I needed to buy, but one of the ladies that taught a quilting class came over and figured it all out for me. She also introduced me to a rotary cutter and mat and told me how to cut strips and then gave me a sheet from her class room book that showed me how to make 1/2 sq. triangles without having to deal with the bias. No telling what kind of quilt I would have wound up with had she not helped me. I took a class from her about a year later. She was a very good teacher. Unfortunately she has moved across country, so I am hoping the LQS has someone as good to replace her.

One unfortunate experience I had at the same LQS, was when I was shopping for quilting thread. I hand quilt, but have a hard time finding hand thread in an array of colors. The lady that was helping me that day sold me two spools of a variegated thread that was real pretty. The problem was when I got home, the thread was polyester instead of 100% cotton. I felt she should have known the difference if she was working in a shop that sold 100% cotton fabric for quilting. I have no problem with someone telling me they don't know, but don't bluff your way thru. They also had a young girl cutting fabric. I ask about the quantity needed for a quilt back and gave her the dimensions. She told me the quantity to buy and I did. I have a whole bunch of that fabric left over. I know a lot more now than I did then, so I can figure my own, but for those who are just getting into quilting, I would expect the staff to have that skill.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

1st thing that I notice is how I am treated (or ignored) that right there will tell me if I would ever go back!

Then the selection of items in the store.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:07 AM

I live about halfway between 2 quilt shops. One is large and carries an amazing selection of fabrics. The staff however is another story. Had a bad encounter with one sales clerk who , while great at figuring out how much fabric you need for a quilt and can do it in her head, she has the personality of a rock!The little shop knows me by name sent sympathy and get well cards when I was in the hospital and when I lost my mother and generally is pleasant when I have obnoxious questions about dumb stuff that I should have known anyway!!
Old 08-15-2012, 03:43 AM

To me this is about as personal as it gets. Case in point- in a town near me are two quilt shops, both well-known around here, both with beautiful fabrics, and great staff. I've bought from both, but if we visit this town and I only have time for one, it's always the same one. Why? Because their fabrics are always more like my personal taste. The other store carries top-of-the-line fabrics, too, but they tend to be too "modern" for my very traditional quilts.

So if someone asked me which shop they should visit, I'd say it's like chocolate or vanilla- both are great, it depends on your taste preference. (Personally, I've NEVER been able to figure out how someone can not like chocolate!!!)
Old 08-15-2012, 05:14 AM

The staff - I don't expect them to be my best friends, but showing a little interest in my projects or going an extra mile to answer questions or find the answer if they don't know it goes a long way with me. At my LQS the staff shows less than zero interest unless there's a potential Bernina sale involved. At the other one the owner spends all her time chatting with her friends while customers stand around and wait. The result is that, while I like to buy locally, most of my quilting $$ goes to the internet.