Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gina_D
One thing I bought when I first started quilting was one of those suction cup things that are supposed to hold your ruler down while cutting. The sales person told me I had to have them. I've never used them; my hand works best for me.
Same here, I have a large size one and a smaller one. I never use them. spent a pretty penny on those things though!!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:24 AM

I use plain ole masking tape for marking my measurements on my ruler. One layer won't do much for "butting up" the fabrics, but 3 or so layers will. Just remember to peel it off after you use it becasue the tape can leave a nasty residue.[/quote]

If you use the blue painters tape it won't leave any residue. I keep a roll with my sewing supplies.[/quote]

I bought some painters tape. Since it's peelable or reuseable or whatever the right word is, it tends to not hold very well. All it takes is one tiny corner folded back and the whole marker strip pulls off. Maybe I'm not careful enough about putting it on my ruler. It's still in my sewing basket, but not used as much as the masking tape.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
Originally Posted by sewmuch
A purple thang is used to push out corners, square on one
end and pointed on the other....I use it on occasion, but I have found that chopsticks work just as well...

lol, I use chopsticks too ;-)
I use a cuticle stick, has a flat end and a pointed end, and if I need to get really close to the needle I ust two of them instead of my fingers.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
i've seen thread nippers (little spring loaded scissors) selling for LOTS of money - but i bought some at wal mart. they were hanging on a card - for $1.98 and they had a cap on them like an ink pen. love 'em
I'm headed to WM shortly. My sis in law wants one, she may get the Wally World one and not one like my Fons and Porter. thanks for the hint.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:37 AM

It sounds like we need to start a swap shop.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Originally Posted by Gina_D
One thing I bought when I first started quilting was one of those suction cup things that are supposed to hold your ruler down while cutting. The sales person told me I had to have them. I've never used them; my hand works best for me.
Same here, I have a large size one and a smaller one. I never use them. spent a pretty penny on those things though!!!!
I agree I thought it was going to be great ... IT was NOT!
Old 11-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

The chalk I have for the Pounce stays in place until heat is applied and it disappears. One press with a warm iron and it's gone. It only came white when I bought it but I think it comes in blue now. I'm still using the first bag and it's several years old.

I use the Gypsy Grippers all the time. I have three sizes. It took a while to get use to them but now I feel unsafe not using one when I'm cutting. I know I don't have to worry about have a cutting accident using it. And my ruler does not slip at all. Mostly I rough cut fabric for the Go and don't do much precise cutting anymore.

If you have the F&P red and cream seam ripper the round end pulls the stitches right out of the fabric after unripping. Just rub the end on the stitches. No need to pull them out one by one by hand. It's fast.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The chalk I have for the Pounce stays in place until heat is applied and it disappears. One press with a warm iron and it's gone. It only came white when I bought it but I think it comes in blue now. I'm still using the first bag and it's several years old.

I use the Gypsy Grippers all the time. I have three sizes. It took a while to get use to them but now I feel unsafe not using one when I'm cutting. I know I don't have to worry about have a cutting accident using it. And my ruler does not slip at all. Mostly I rough cut fabric for the Go and don't do much precise cutting anymore.

If you have the F&P red and cream seam ripper the round end pulls the stitches right out of the fabric after unripping. Just rub the end on the stitches. No need to pull them out one by one by hand. It's fast.
I also love my Gypsy Grippers. Mine are from HF and were under 8.00. A dollar for the little ones.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
When I was Brand New to quilting, I saw a quilter on Simply Quilts use a kind of "ruler" that is essentially a big square with cutting slits every two inches. You square your fabric and lay this on it and then rotary cut through the slits. I used it once unsuccessfully - it required more coordination than apparently I possess. Perhaps with practice I could master it... Meanwhile, it sits propped behind my cutting table. for 10 years. lol...
I have one too and didnt use it until my friend showed me that when you are making a tied fleece blanket it is perfect to get the even one inch cuts on the ends.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

For me, the Zip Bind System was very expensive and garbage!