Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients >

Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients

Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients

Old 12-29-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
I would perhaps include a note with this beautiful quilt saying that you will provide a financial statement so that they can have it insured for the proper amount since it is beyond the amount covered by a typical homeowner's policy. Most people do not realize that a quilt of that quality is worth way more than $500. Perhaps then they might like it a lot more.
I like this idea! It would definitely be worth the $$ to get it appraised if they ask for it.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:12 PM

That is a gorgeous quilt! I can't imagine anyone not wanting for a gift.....finished or not.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:16 PM

Really, some people just do not get how much time and effort goes into quilts and any handmade quilts. I used to make my siblings and their families gifts every Christmas, but seldom got feedback whether they liked them or not so now I do not do it. I am not looking for a gift in return. I just wondered if they liked it.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by smm06 View Post
Here are pictures of the quilt. I still have to add a 2" pieced square border, 2" brown border, and 4" green border. Then planned to send out for quilting.

The colors are colors that match with their house and decor, which my husband picked out for them. Also, I made a smaller verison of this quilt as a throw that they told me they really liked the pattern, so I guess I didn't think twice about them not liking the design.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]298704[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298705[/ATTACH]

The reason I could not have it completed before Christmas was that we moved twice this past year. The second time just before Thanksgiving. During the moves, most of my quilting stuff was packed in storage, which they helped move.

I can honestly say I wasn't hoping for jumping up and down or any kind of praise. I think mostly I was just looking for a smile (which by the way I didn't get).

Your quilt is beautiful. I think some people just don't realize how much of ourselves we put into making a quilt. I made one for my brother this Christmas and he said it made him feel special. That's all I needed to hear. He said it would look great in his den. That's where they spend most of their time and that's where all the mounted deer heads are. The quilt I made had deer panels on it. I told him each pucker was a kiss from his older sister.

Try not to let this get you down. You did a great job on your quilt. All of us here on the quilting board think you did a wonderful job.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:43 PM

Your quilt is already beautiful ...
It will be gorgeous when it is quilted.Go with your heart. You made it for them,and I would give it to them.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma58 View Post
Did you really read what you wrote, she pulled it out of the bag and said oh, then put it on her bed, the act of putting it on her bed spoke volumes! Were you listening? This was your step granddaughter - is the relationship issue free?

I maybe ought not to make comments today, but my question to you is did you give this gift freely with love or did you give it conditionally with many strings attached? ( the answer is none of my business - the answer is for you and only you)
HERE, HERE! That is exactly my way of thinking. Think WHY you gave a handmade gift. Something that means a lot to you. When you give a gift of your time you do it for the good feeling it gives you. Don't sweat it. If you want thanks or praise give it to charity.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by latebloomerar View Post
I gave a lap quilt to my step granddaughter and she pulled it out of the gift bag and said oh and then put it on her bed and didn't even thank me. Oh well I kind of wish I hadn't given it to her because when I showed it to my daughter she teared up and I know she was wanting it because she loved it so much. Life is funny. Kids are funnier still. I am not messed up about it, but that will be the last handmade gift she gets from me.
Think how many have said they would thank the quilter and say how very pleased they were, etc. then put that quilt in a closet or chest or give it away. You didn't get the words said to you; you got the action - she immediately started using the quilt. Those actions speak louder than words. Are all of your quilts on beds being used? I'll bet not. You need to rethink your need for verbal affirmation when you got such visual approval. Your grandma skills are getting rusty, I think. You're the one that seems unappreciative.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:25 AM

Your quilt is beautiful. Just like others have said that maybe they have no ideal how much time and money have been put in to the top. I made a quilt for our youngest son this Christmas. He didn't seem to excited about it, when I first choose the pattern and the fabric colors. He was afraid that it was going to be girly fabric with flowers. But, he just sent me pictures of it on his bed and said he really liked. We will see if its on his bed when we go visit. Now our first son and his wife felt a bit left out because I haven't made them one, yet. I am just waiting for them to decide what color and pattern.
I am sure your quilt will be loved, once quilting is done. If not, there are a few of us here that would love it.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:55 AM

My 5 children all asked for quilts this year. They seem to think that it is no big deal soooo.... I had all of their quilts appraised and put that appraisal in the quilt for them. At least now they appreciate how much the quilts are worth.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:08 AM

Hurry and get it done. What you interpreted as "no reaction" might have a cover of disappointment that they couldn't use it right away.