Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd! >

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Old 06-04-2015, 04:35 AM

You guys are awesome. I hope to see more of your other projects. dfelker what happened to you? not talking? I think sharing all your projects inspires others to say hey I was thinking of trying something like that.. and they jump into it which is what this whole board is all about. SHARING what your up to.. getting ideas off of others, hopefully responding to the questions asked (like how to wash wedding dresses) and heck we all learn something! There is always something we don't know. I sure know I have a bucket full of questions like how to machine applique. tried hand applique but didn't get it truly and think I need a visual from someone. I just am not getting it. I have not honestly sewn anything that isn't a quilt in a long time. I see your things and think darn I wish I could do that. I know I can. I can sew a quilt so surely I can sew something else too Fabric is my one and true love. ok love my cats love my partner but fabric? it calls to me all the time like something out of one of those old fashioned movies.. a siren saying come to me.. come to me.. and I come. lol. I think doing something with it is a whole different issue. I bought it for a .. baby quilt. but now.. what quilt? What is your crafting addiction?
Old 06-06-2015, 04:47 AM

note : I will be doing a row of tropical drinks tomorrow. I will offer a pattern to anyone interested. ok three different drink glasses to be exact will be offered for you to use or simply watch and see how good or bad I can do with an actual pattern! yahoo!
Old 06-06-2015, 05:20 PM

Addiction? To Fabric? Oh yea - I really have to stop myself and remind myself of what I still have and haven't used!
Before quilting I was addicted to counted cross stitch. Had magazines and books taking up an entire wall. Boxes of every thread. I wouldn't work on anything less than 18 count fabric. Arthritis put an end to it all. I miss it so very much. But Fabric and quilting has taken its place.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
Addiction? To Fabric? Oh yea - I really have to stop myself and remind myself of what I still have and haven't used!
Before quilting I was addicted to counted cross stitch. Had magazines and books taking up an entire wall. Boxes of every thread. I wouldn't work on anything less than 18 count fabric. Arthritis put an end to it all. I miss it so very much. But Fabric and quilting has taken its place.
I am up for the cocktails. My young DD needs new stuff for her new home. How did my baby move so far away??
I do hate it, but it is Life! BTW I have started to do a lot of Sashiko. It is very portable and easy. I envision 6 pieces,
framed for DD's new home. I duid my Row Robin as Spring in NY. Maybe, I'll do summer next. LOL Dotty
Old 06-07-2015, 05:09 AM

I found a few images that might work really well for my cocktails. I hope that I am allowed to post the web sites I found them at and let you do what you might think is appropriate. Some are fairly expensive and others not bad at all. I might end up just drawing them to get them right! I also looked into fabric with cocktails on them? but they are fairly small images say 3 inches or so and applique those pieces... not sure they are big enough. we will see. here is the first web site I found: http://www.canstockphoto.com/cocktai...h-2430079.html I really liked this one to use for the first block. what do you say to this?
Old 06-07-2015, 05:10 AM

also if you go to google and images and search tropical beach cocktails you will get so many images that you can use to go off of your own design. I will post my first block tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Old 06-07-2015, 05:12 AM

bored of me yet? lol. I also went to ebay and searched for tropical cocktail fabric and found a few there. I think a glass that goes to the ground might be easiest as I have yet to find a sheer fabric for the stem of the glass and don't know how to do glass otherwise. does anyone have any suggestions? I think anything but cotton wont work in a quilt for washing quality. sigh. so my drinks may have to be full glass size (oh bummer for that recipient lol) so that way I don't have to deal with glass so much.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:44 AM

I stressed over the glass fabric also. I ended up using off white and the lightest gray. It worked well enough!
At the moment my 9yo GD is working through my scrap box as she wants to make something.Tomorrow we will see how she does on a sewing machine.
However today - we are going out in my brothers boat to go fishing. Loving the sun. Hoping to catch some fluke for dinner.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
Yes, this sounds like me. I have an addiction to any needlework crafts. I am not at the point where I have started to go thru all I have in the different things...quilting, needlepoint, cross stitch, embroidery to name a few and weeding with heavy heart to keep what I know I want to do and letting go of all the other things I just don't have time for and letting someone else hopefully enjoy them. Not enough hours in a day and life makes it so I have to hold a full time job. So can't spend the time playing in my crafts like I would like. Yup, addictions for me.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:31 AM

I ended up cutting out a regular water glass ? and making a blue drink (blue Hawaiian?) and put a straw and an appliqued flower on the one side and three pale purple ice cubes as it will in it I think it will work I am 80 percent done with the applique part and then will square up the fabric and frame it with this tropical fabric I just happened to find on my fabric shelve. phew. not buying anything yet! the next block will be a shorter old fashioned glass (again no stem) and thinking a rainbow colored drink no idea what that is called but is pretty from the pictures I found lol. will pst my picture asap for you.

my crafting went everwhere but now its limited. glitter on everything of course, watercolor painting though that has gone by the wayside this past year, wanted very much to learn to crochet but gave it up. no one to teach me and honestly not a great learner otherwise. can make a scarf lol. wanted to make a blanket! so sewing it is for now. and Christmas cards those I like to make too. one year found vintage Christmas tags? and put them on marble swirled paper I had made with some glitter and they came out rather pretty. I cook jam also. love the smell of it cooking this year don't think so.. too tired. oh I love to dehydrate things. jerky, berries, banana chips and apple chips. the house smells so good for a few hours and the treats are loved by everyone.