2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 05-22-2018, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Both of my newest ( baby quilt) projects used all stash fabrics. I’ve had that green/ blue flannel for probably 5 years- maybe longer. The backing on the bunny quilt also has been around for years. ( the bunny panel was a vacation purchase specifically for this gift ) Nice to finally use them. Used quite a few ( old) flannel pieces for the appliqué
pushed about 4 yards of fabric from the shelves. And didn’t have to shop at all. The panel purchase didn’t add to my shelves, went straight into a quilt. I’m enjoying shopping my stash.
Way to go, Ckcowl! I'm making bunches of baby quilt tops all from the squares I've been cutting from scraps during the past 3 weeks. Now they are being added to the UFO pile. Let's keep it up and maybe we can shrink our stashes!

Last edited by SillySusan; 05-22-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Love this! Buying so you can use the stash.
Martina...I need to get my thimbles out to display. They were a gift from a dear aunt and some are very old and intricate.
How cool. How many do you have?
Old 05-23-2018, 11:51 PM

It is okay to buy fabric that you have a plan for using and do use. Really, it is okay to buy fabric. This is just for those of us who know they need to get it under control. Pointing finger at me.

Anyway, I am getting ready for my first boom exchange and I am taking all fabric from stash. However, I did buy two yards of beautiful fabric on Etsy for the back of the completed quilt. It will be a Halloween quilt suited for a tween age girl. I found old Pumpkin Party from Alexander Henry and thought it would make a gorgeous swath in the back.

So my goal is to only buy fabric for backing, sashing and setting. I will need to start getting quilts made and out of my home before I can buy anymore just because. This is super hard. I may need to resort to trading. I have lots of yardage of batiks etc.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
How cool. How many do you have?
About 35-40...one has a band of petit point needle work..just lovely..others are "destination" thimbles given to her by friends....they are tucked away in closet right now.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

About 35-40...one has a band of petit point needle work..just lovely..others are "destination" thimbles given to her by friends....they are tucked away in closet right now.
Cool. My new display case came in yesterday (already!!!) so when I have it hanging and all my treasures transferred, would you like me to send you my current display? I think it holds 40 - each in its own little cubby. It does not have a glass front though. Let me know - I'd be happy to pass it on.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:10 AM

Hey back Is the kona fabric still on sale? I am looking for some more kona black and Snow White.

Does it help to cut fabric into strips and squares without a project in mind?

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
Oh.....forgot to welcome Darcyshannon!! Hey, girl!

irishrose.....beautiful quilt. I love Lattice patterns...I need to make more of them.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Cool. My new display case came in yesterday (already!!!) so when I have it hanging and all my treasures transferred, would you like me to send you my current display? I think it holds 40 - each in its own little cubby. It does not have a glass front though. Let me know - I'd be happy to pass it on.
Thanks, Martina, but I will pass...my display boxes also have no glass fronts and I'd rather have one to keep the dust out! Imagine that!
Old 05-24-2018, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Thanks, Martina, but I will pass...my display boxes also have no glass fronts and I'd rather have one to keep the dust out! Imagine that!
I get it. I'll donate mine to a charity shop.

The one I ordered holds 180 thimbles. It has rows instead of cubbies which is better for my collection. I have some that are taller or wider than the normal thimble. The glass front is a wonderful addition.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Darcyshannon View Post
Hey back Is the kona fabric still on sale? I am looking for some more kona black and Snow White.

Does it help to cut fabric into strips and squares without a project in mind?
My LQS had a limited selection by the time I got to the store. I can't remember what colors she had left but I know Navy Blue cuz I bought some of that. I don't recall white or black but she had about 7 bolts on Kona on sale. Here is her website. If not listed, email her....she's fantastic to work with...

https://www.easyquiltingcorner.com

Cutting scraps: I suppose it doesn't really matter. My rule of thumb is cutting fabric where I use the most of fabric available. As you start stashing different size precuts, you'll have lots of pattern options for strips, squares, and rectangles....which are what I precut mine into. And, all different sizes to boot... Only one size precut scrap in my stash is targeted for a specific pattern. The rest, I just keep,stashing away awaiting inspiration.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:44 PM

I haven’t bought anything in the last 2 weeks. I’m currently working on scrappy 6” 9-patches for a swap. I’m just beginning. I’ve gone through 1/3 of my scraps. I’m not sure how much more I have to cut. I need to sew lots more, I need 100 blocks for this swap. I’m looking forward to getting it done and swapping the project. I think I have my pattern figured out. I’ll wait and see. I’m trying to use only my stash for this project. It won’t be done for a while.
I’m also working on the fall star swap blocks. I’m making 25 blocks in fall colors, all of which will be from my stash. I have 5 blocks cut out and need to cut out 5 more and just sew them. That’s my weekend project.