2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-27-2019, 07:00 PM

Omgosh....is it considered a UFO when you haven't even started it but just kitted up? I'm going to be sick.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:30 AM

No, in my mind it isn't a UFO until a needle has perforated the fabric. Otherwise I would be in deeeeeeeep trouble.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:33 AM

in writing a blog post this morning I thought of us, on this thread, so am sharing the last paragraph. Be strong my friends

I quit buying fabric in 2001. In the last year or two I've started to run out of some colors so occasionally replace a few yards. 18 years on the wagon and when I enter a store I'm immediately gripped by the gotta have it, the drug adrenaline, the sick feeling of need. So no judging other quilters here, I understand. But I'm betting if I hadn't quit buying in 2001, in all areas of my life, I wouldn't be out here enjoying my little house and holiday on wheels today. I'm glad I made the choice but I despair of ever not having that sick want.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:56 AM

No, it's not a UFO until it's started which for me means cut. I just don't want to think of them as UFOs but rather as "potential projects" in one place so I don't have to dig and search for inspiration. Sometimes I have to play mind games with myself to take the pressure off!

And go go Kalama, and let me know if you need a batch of colors or themes. I still have the desire for fabric, but I also have desire for more space in my life. In the last year my boxes have become much more organized on the inside but the outside still leaves a lot to be desired!

I played for awhile last night with the precut squares, they are different sizes from 4-6". I see a lot of my stash in there and wonder if the original person was someone I traded fabric with back around Y2K. See a lot of fabric I got as swaps anyway.

I feel good having the Here Kitty Kitty top to work on the binding at my group. The flannel back for that also came from the same lady who had the box of small pieces yesterday. Although I thought I checked for it, as I was doing the hand stitching I found about 2" where the bottom of the binding wasn't caught in the seam allowance. Will fix that and then put the top away to have for group. Have a couple small areas of quilting that just isn't suitable and will have to be taken out. One of my bobbins was giving me troubles and I should have switched earlier than I did but I was trying to make the thread last.

I plan on working on the Postcard quilt today. I have blocks pinned into columns, think I have just two sets of sewing those together before sewing the columns together so getting done. Yesterday I made sure I had all the fabrics I'm using for the border and back together in the box instead of scattered about.

I'm feeling some sort of internal pressure to quilt down the Seahawk Pink quilt while I'm quilting but I'm going to wait a week or two to get the Postcard top together and finish the hand binding at small group on Here Kitty Kitty.

Now that I know what to do I've spent some more time playing with the fancy stitches and such on the "sewing computer". I'm easily pulled into the bright and shiny!
Old 08-28-2019, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
Omgosh....is it considered a UFO when you haven't even started it but just kitted up? I'm going to be sick.
Oh I'm just messing with you Teen!
Old 08-28-2019, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Oh I'm just messing with you Teen!
You are a lil' rascal !! Lol...
Old 08-30-2019, 09:26 AM

For the first time all year I bought fabric yesterday. Not sure how I feel about that/-kind of like I let myself down,, but rationally there’s no reason to feel guilty. It was the farthest thing from impulse, which is good. I was at the LQS where I learned to quilt in 2011 or 12. The shop is now closing Sept 28. Everything I bought was at least 30% off.

I needed solid black to finish a playmat for my grandlambs, and because I had no quality black in my stash. Bought 2yds. Bought solid white because I had almost none. Picked up 1yd salmony pink (reads solid) because I loved it and it will be used in girl donation quilts. Bought grey solid more for teen guy donation quilts as yet unplanned. Then a cute mint floral end if bolt because it made me happy, not that I had a plan for it, and two neutral FQ for guy quilts because I hate to buy “boring” (ie neutrals) at full price., i bought a Kaleido-something ruler at 35% off for my future OBW.

Plus, the shop is nowhere close to me but it was near my dad’s dr office , and since we were “in the neighborhood” and he was so grateful that I had gone to his appointment, he wanted me to go in and enjoy myself. He also insisted on giving me birthday money on the spot. He also said, “and take an hour, hour and a half, don’t feel rushed at all.” My daddy is just so generous. My mom had a gem of a husband!

So I spent $74 total, which I guess when divided by the 8 months of the year to date, is only $9.25 a month. LOL. Not too shabby.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:11 PM

Great purchases, Zozee.....and a lovely story of a day spent with your Dad. He is a gem and you will have another precious memory of the two of you on an adventure. And, your purchases are being used to gift to others. Win win in my opinion.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

When opportunity knocks, you take it zo! It sounds like you got some good buys, too.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:42 AM

Grann of 6, I called my HQ representative and he told me it could be a program glick on the new upgrade program. He wants me to send him a pic of my computer display when it looks up. So far I haven't done that. I'm leary about messing up another quilt top. But I will take the plunge today. He also suggested I turn off and unplug my Machine, computer and power surger for 30 seconds to see if that will fix the problem. It's a computer and sometimes we need to reset our computers. We get lots of thunderstorms this time of year and our power will go off and on a lot. I'll let you know how it goes.