Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-22-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Looked at the site again. I think maybe it is a 27 from 1910?
Can you post a picture?

Nancy
Old 04-22-2011, 05:59 AM

While looking for the front flap cabinet hinges, I found some nice attachments. Don't think they fit any of my machines. If you are interested in attachments, take a look at this.
http://www.gretasthreadworks.ecrater...vintage-sewing

Bottom-Clamp Attachments Vintage Sewing Machine Tucker Hemmer Set Gathering Foot etc

Price: $17.50

Still looking for the hinge set.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Looked at the site again. I think maybe it is a 27 from 1910?
Can you post a picture?

Nancy

I have the day off! Will post pictures later today.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I love all the new machines you all are adopting, and Billy-- so sorry about the storm damage. We had bad tornadoes here too, but thankfully, no damage at our place.

I have been making ruffles on my Lotus tonight, and am just amazed at the mechanical wonder that the ruffler is. I feel blessed to have a back-clamping one that came with my machine. In about 30 minutes I had a whole pile of beautiful ruffles that would have taken me hours to make by my old method of pulling up a running stitch and adjusting gathers. Can't believe how much better the OLD technology is, so USE YOUR WEIRD ATTACHMENTS, everybody! They are fun!
This summer I plan to use all the attachments that I have collected from my Singers and also the Davis NVF. I have two quilts that I just need to finish before I can play with all the attachments. Once when wandering around blog land one night, I found this lady who had used all her vintage attachments. She sews her own vintage clothes and does a beautiful job too. Well after reading her blog, I thought that trying out all the attachments that I own would make an interesting project between quilting projects. Have fun!
Regarding that blog from the gal that did use all of her old attachments, did you happen to bookmark that site? I did recently buy the "Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook" by Charlene Phillips that I'm finding quite helpful, but just wondered if you had a link to the info that you read.

Thanks, :D
Old 04-22-2011, 06:45 AM

If I knew the correct name of the hinge assembly, I might be able to find it. I picked up an old cabinet years ago with the idea that I was going to install a light and sheet of glass and make a light table. Now, instead, I'd like to put an old SM head into it, but need to replace the front flap which supports the machine when it is in the raised position. I know that people collect this type hardware from the most pitiful of cabinets. I have a friend who will cut and route the new part, but we need the invisible hinge assembly. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by luce321
Weedwoman

I hope that you don't think this is a stupid question, but I noticed in the photos you posted that it looks as though the machine has two shuttles, is this so and why?
You'll have to refresh my memory. Which machine are you referring to? What page?
Old 04-22-2011, 07:07 AM

[quote=olebat]While looking for the front flap cabinet hinges, I found some nice attachments. Don't think they fit any of my machines. If you are interested in attachments, take a look at this.
http://www.gretasthreadworks.ecrater...vintage-sewing

Bottom-Clamp Attachments Vintage Sewing Machine Tucker Hemmer Set Gathering Foot etc

Price: $17.50

I got all excited when I read this so I went to this site and discovered that I have all those feet all ready. Thank you for sharing with us. Kathie
Old 04-22-2011, 07:07 AM

Been having so many storms have had computer unplugged and off but now I'm on again. Amazing how you get so used to being 'online' and almost have withdrawal without it.
Yesterday I had a fun day repairing and shortening jeans for my grandson. Did the zigzagging on my newer Brother and had to go for the Redeye 66 for the real work. It sewed through those quad seams like butter. Not even a hiccup. My grandsons fiance is wanting a machine and I told him to find her a vintage one that will outlast us all. So, I hope I have gotten another couple of youngens interested in the vintage machines. He wanted to see all my collection and even took pics so he could show ppl. I enjoyed talking about them and showing him how they worked.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Well I did something I said I would never ever do. I purchased a machine off ebay. My latest is a Singer 328K, that I want to use in treadle. I like to finish off my bindings with a decorative stitch. I have been using my daughter's Threadbanger T-30 which can handle this type of work so far, but I have been worried about the machine being able to continue to handle this load since the machine has plastic parts. So, I have been on a hunt for a machine to use in treadle that has cams for decorative stitching. I do hope that this machine will work out well for what I wish to use it for.
Monica, what is wrong with the color? I think it is very pretty! Does that 328 have a space to attach a belt? It looks like maybe, but can't tell in the picture. Will you post pictures when you get 'Hank' in a treadle and let us know how well that works out! Congratulations, on your newest addition. I am excited to see how it works with that machine as a treadle.

Sharon is that the one you use in a treadle?

Nancy
Hank photographs better than he looks! My husband was surprised at the picture and commented that in the photo the top looks almost white when it's not at all. In my research, I found a could of blogs that showed the 328 in a treadle. The free manual online shows that it can be treadled. In front bottom right by the guide for the thread for the bobbin winding setup (hope that makes sense, sorry) is a plug that gets removed. All that is needed is the motor belt taken off, then the treadle belt is threaded through a back slot, up over the top wheel, and down through that front opening before stapling treadle belt (sewing the leather together with dental floss, like Sharon does). I think this must have been how Sharon, Purplefiend, did hers, but her machine is the 237 (I think), the zig-zag.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I love all the new machines you all are adopting, and Billy-- so sorry about the storm damage. We had bad tornadoes here too, but thankfully, no damage at our place.

I have been making ruffles on my Lotus tonight, and am just amazed at the mechanical wonder that the ruffler is. I feel blessed to have a back-clamping one that came with my machine. In about 30 minutes I had a whole pile of beautiful ruffles that would have taken me hours to make by my old method of pulling up a running stitch and adjusting gathers. Can't believe how much better the OLD technology is, so USE YOUR WEIRD ATTACHMENTS, everybody! They are fun!
This summer I plan to use all the attachments that I have collected from my Singers and also the Davis NVF. I have two quilts that I just need to finish before I can play with all the attachments. Once when wandering around blog land one night, I found this lady who had used all her vintage attachments. She sews her own vintage clothes and does a beautiful job too. Well after reading her blog, I thought that trying out all the attachments that I own would make an interesting project between quilting projects. Have fun!
Regarding that blog from the gal that did use all of her old attachments, did you happen to bookmark that site? I did recently buy the "Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook" by Charlene Phillips that I'm finding quite helpful, but just wondered if you had a link to the info that you read.

Thanks, :D
NO! :( That book sounds wonderful. I will need to look at that.