Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-26-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Here's another newbie question. What are cams? How do they make decorative stitches? Would you use them on a straight stitch machine or does it have to zig zag to make them work. I'm real curious.
We all love questions - everyone learns from them. Since I never had to explain what a cam is before I looked it up so I could explain it better than 'it is a little round disc that allows some machines to form straight and decorative stitches.' Machines that use 'cams' generally can't stitch even a straight stitch without a cam inserted before you begin to sew.

Here is a better stated explanation! http://www.bovil.com/index.php?optio...d=21&Itemid=48

They explain cam as "an irregular wheel with one or two bands of indentations which allows a mechanical sewing machine to sew multi step and decorative stitches."

Nancy

Can one of you guys post some pictures of a cam to better explain what a cam is? A picture of a machine with a cam inserted would really be great. Maybe, I will try and do that tomorrow -- too busy right now trying to finish a quilt's binding!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:37 PM

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have an old Kenmore machine that is and '40'machine. The tension part in on the face plate and I can't for the life of me figure out how to thread it. Of course, there are no books/instructions with it. It is the only machine I own made that way. This was given to me, or I probably wouldn't have it. I'll get a pic, if I can, on here soon. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
I'm hoping someone can help me. I have an old Kenmore machine that is and '40'machine. The tension part in on the face plate and I can't for the life of me figure out how to thread it. Of course, there are no books/instructions with it. It is the only machine I own made that way. This was given to me, or I probably wouldn't have it. I'll get a pic, if I can, on here soon. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:48 PM

Well, not only do I not have a pic (readily available, that is)...I also don't have the right make of machine...it's a Rotary machine not Kenmore. It is a krinkle finish. Sews a pretty stitch, but it keeps breaking thread after about 8-10- inches. I'm pretty sure it's a simple threading error. I'll keep hunting for pics.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:49 PM

Well, not only do I not have a pic (readily available, that is)...I also don't have the right make of machine...it's a Rotary machine not Kenmore. It is a krinkle finish. Sews a pretty stitch, but it keeps breaking thread after about 8-10- inches. I'm pretty sure it's a simple threading error. I'll keep hunting for pics.
Here it is...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]189658[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-189652.jpe  
Old 04-26-2011, 05:07 PM

I think that's a National. My Two Spools and Graybar look similar to that tension and threading. And the Montgomery Ward Damascus Grand Rotary has this similar threading too.
Will you post photos of the rest of this machine. I would like to see it.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I think that's a National. My Two Spools and Graybar look similar to that tension and threading. And the Montgomery Ward Damascus Grand Rotary has this similar threading too.
Will you post photos of the rest of this machine. I would like to see it.
Ok, I now have so time to look at my machines.
Looks like you have yours threaded correctly. Here are the steps in threading my machine. The top photo is the first and you thread through the groove in the top disc. Does yours have a similar groove? Then down and around the larger disk that is the upper tension pulley. Then down under the auxiliary hook, 3rd picture, and up to the take up, and back down at guide and then through needle left to right.

top disc with groove in top back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]189721[/ATTACH]

tension pulley, thread around this
[ATTACH=CONFIG]189722[/ATTACH]

auxiliary hook
[ATTACH=CONFIG]189723[/ATTACH]

take up guide
[ATTACH=CONFIG]189724[/ATTACH]

thread guide at left
[ATTACH=CONFIG]189725[/ATTACH]

thread through eye of needle left to right
[ATTACH=CONFIG]189729[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-189715.jpe   attachment-189716.jpe   attachment-189717.jpe   attachment-189718.jpe   attachment-189719.jpe  

attachment-189723.jpe  
Old 04-26-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Here's another newbie question. What are cams? How do they make decorative stitches? Would you use them on a straight stitch machine or does it have to zig zag to make them work. I'm real curious.
We all love questions - everyone learns from them. Since I never had to explain what a cam is before I looked it up so I could explain it better than 'it is a little round disc that allows some machines to form straight and decorative stitches.' Machines that use 'cams' generally can't stitch even a straight stitch without a cam inserted before you begin to sew.

Here is a better stated explanation! http://www.bovil.com/index.php?optio...d=21&Itemid=48

They explain cam as "an irregular wheel with one or two bands of indentations which allows a mechanical sewing machine to sew multi step and decorative stitches."

Nancy

Can one of you guys post some pictures of a cam to better explain what a cam is? A picture of a machine with a cam inserted would really be great. Maybe, I will try and do that tomorrow -- too busy right now trying to finish a quilt's binding!
I found this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vrzLFYDfYM
maybe that will give you an idea.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman

I found this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vrzLFYDfYM
maybe that will give you an idea.
Mpeters, this should help explain what a cam is and how it works!

Weedwoman, great youtube link on how a cam works!

Nancy
Old 04-26-2011, 08:47 PM

I've been looking at all of the vintage machines and have been inspired to clean up and use an old treadle machine I inherited from my great grandmother. I'm interested in any information anyone can provide regarding the manufacturer and age of this machine. It works fine and seems to be in very good condition. The only information on the machine is the name "richmond", but paperwork with it indicates it was sold by the Charles William Store. The needles with the machine are stamped "B Eldredge", but I have no idea whether a currently manufactured needle might work (seems longer than the average needle). It has a metal spring belt that drives the treadle, a shuttle bobbin and came with a box of Griest attachments. I've checked out several pages of this forum and only seen a few machines that seem to be close. Thanks so much!

cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]189754[/ATTACH]

machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]189755[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-189748.jpe   attachment-189749.jpe